Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

But if you did rip a fender off of it; wouldn't you run the risk of pulling the entire body out of square?
    Oh! Silly me!! They weren't square or straight to begin with!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I thought the guy was hilarious! Reminded me of the first three days I owned my Spyder when I thought I had made an awful mistake. Then the learning curve cut in, and it's been joy ever since.

Spyder Garage

I like RR's idea about signing up under two different names, and the ability to argue point/counter-point with myself. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by joet82 View Post
    Dewd was a Newb and didn't really give it time to get around the learning curve.
    The Spyder is still new enough (and odd enough) for a lot of casual observers to ask me: "How do you like it?" I always start my story the same way.

I tell them 2 things right off the bat: (1) It rides differently then a 2-wheeled motorcycle. (2) The first full day of riding it, I thought to myself "DAMN, DID I JUST MAKE A HUGE MISTAKE?"

I then tell them --- within several days, I loved my 2012 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM5.

The test drives most of us probably got through the dealership does not do the Spyder justice. One place I went to allowed you to drive it around their (small) parking lot. LOL. The second place had a 15 mile test ride that wasn't too bad. The route was out of the way, in some gently rolling hills and it gave you a flavor for how the Spyder handled.

The guy who wrote this review test drove his Spyder under the worse conditions. It is almost a shame they set it up the way he described.

Yes, the Spyder is not used as a get-away vehicle for a bank robbery. You do have to turn the key and wait. But you learn to turn the key, put on your helmet and fasten it, etc. and by the time you are ready to start the Spyder everything is ready to go.

I do not fault the writer. Test drives arranged under the circumstances he described are DUMB DUMB DUMB. Can-Am and it's dealers need to work on the test ride experience a LOT more. A conga line is a good description. Can you imagine being in the middle of the pack of a bunch of inexperienced Spyder riders? LOL. It is almost like saying "DON'T BUY THE SPYDER" and it the dealer and the factory saying it.

It is so different from a standard motorcycle, almost everyone will come away wondering if the Spyder is for them. Some of us will even wonder that when we get it home, but we come to love the darn thing!
    Last edited by Knarfoh; 08-02-2013 at 12:50 PM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MidLifeCrisis View Post
    I was a body and paint guy when Yugos were being sold and I can honestly say the best part about them is you could rip the damaged fenders off with your bare hands. They just took a good tug! Saved the shop a ton of man hours not having to use tools. One of it's redeeming values.
    The Yugo was also the only car I could push home solo when (not if, because it is inevitable) it stops running. I think this quote from an article pretty much sums it up:

"Built in Soviet-bloc Yugoslavia, the Yugo had the distinct feeling of something assembled at gunpoint".

Source:
    http://www.time.com/time/specials/20...658529,00.html

Very Active Member MidLifeCrisis's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Spyders are by no means the only ones with slow boot ups. More and more machines are taking their sweet time as more software is being added. Just looked at a K1600GTL that took plenty long to boot Just no button to push to acknowledge the safety card. Cars are that way too, only we can usually start them first. If you have NAV, you have to acknowledge the safety notice, same with DVDs, etc. Gauges go through the same motions as those on the Spyder, before they display any real info. No one really complains, because they can get in and hit the switch.

With the smaller batteries like those on bikes, the computers are put into a deeper sleep, so they don't drain the battery. Can Am is a bit ahead of the curve on this, but more and more are going that way.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder Tony View Post

"Built in Soviet-bloc Yugoslavia, the Yugo had the distinct feeling of something assembled at gunpoint".

Source:
    http://www.time.com/time/specials/20...658529,00.html

Now I can finally understand why quality control wasn't high on their priority list!

Spyder Garage

Best anti-social statement I ever saw was a Yugo with personalized plates that read "Igo Ugo". Too weird, even for Floriduh!!!

Carl
    2012 White RT Limited and 2013 Yellow ST-S Think 3 .i.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I heard that they almost offered a four-door model called the.....

Wait for it.....

The WEgo!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    How about the phone company?
    The internet?
    Line Dancing?
    Home-brewed beers?
    Hey Bob, do ya know the origin of line dancing?

I just learned it was created by a bunch of desperate women waiting for a rest-room stall!
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default YUGO, Yes!

Don't be too hard on the Yugo. It was the first low-priced car with a standard backglass heating element.
    It was provided to warm the hands of the pushers...
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

His test ride exactly mirrors the one I took on a very hot day in '08. I felt much as he did at the end of it....no way would I buy one.

I read 2 pages of the ADV thread & a lot of 2 wheelers disagreed with his attitude & castigated him.

Over the next 4 yrs I had 2 more test rides where the dealer gave me the Spyder & said to go & enjoy myself.

I now own one

He did have a way with words though
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

RE: Yugo discussion: Could I please add?-- Yugo your way and I'll go mine.

Sorry! I could not resist.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Great thread....love the "...did I make a mistake?..." reference. I was the same with my 2011 RS SM5....I put more miles on it than I do the cage.

Spyder Garage

ive got to admint my frist ride scared the hell out of me,it took me 1200 miles to love it.something like a new gril frend but after you ride it for a time you fall in love.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
    His test ride exactly mirrors the one I took on a very hot day in '08. I felt much as he did at the end of it....no way would I buy one.

I read 2 pages of the ADV thread & a lot of 2 wheelers disagreed with his attitude & castigated him.

Over the next 4 yrs I had 2 more test rides where the dealer gave me the Spyder & said to go & enjoy myself.

I now own one

He did have a way with words though
    My first impression after riding home from the dealer...(first time on the road... test ride was in parking lot at walking speed)
    I thought "What kind of stupid thing have I done?"
    That was 13,000+ miles ago...