Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default What seat do you like the best and why?

I am sure that this question has been asked before, but I am going to ask again. I would like to know what seat you like the best and why? Please respond with what you ride, what seat you like the best, what seat's you have tried and why you like it the best. Thanks

Spyder Garage

2011 RT - Ultimate Tall Boy w/backrest. As with any seat, it is personal preference and I am much more comfortable with this seat than I was with the original.
    Bill
    Pride Runs Deep Semper Tacitus

An armed man is a Citizen; an unarmed man is a subject....

2017 F3 T SE6
    2015 Vulcan Vaquero ABS
    ALR Chapter 401 (Hilliard FL)
    GA & FL Patriot Guard

Spyder Garage

Currently two RT's. One has a Corbin and backrest, the other the BRP comfort seat. Both are because of personal preference, and our dislike for the softness of the OEM seat.

I had exactly the same set ups on my GS/RS versions also. Same reasons.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Hard to say..!!

most have at best two seats..oem and the one they are using. Hard to find people who have tried them all. We have an RS 2012 with the comfort seat. Passenger sits a bit higher and straighter driver area larger..good luck...wish they had a seat shop like a saddle store..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I currently have the OEM seat with a Utopia backrest. I have sat on and like the BRP Comfort Seat. I have sat on and disliked the Ultimate and Corbins seats as both make me slide forward. I am planning on purchasing a Bill Mayer (www.billmayersaddles.com) seat in the next few weeks.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

When I got my '13 RT-S, I had them remove the "comfort seat" and install the seat from my 2011 RT-S. It was factory by the previous owner installed a Utopia backrest and I had grown accustomed to it.

2014 RT-Limited--------------2013 RT-S---------------------2011 RT--------------------

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm going to get myself an Ultimate Seat just as soon as the Missus says that I can...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

OEM seat with no backrest. No highway pegs or footboards. Usually good for 750 mile days for me and for Nancy on the pillion. Yes, we are probably weird.

Seats are a very personal and subjective thing. Only you can determine what works best for you. Unless you can attend a Spyder event and ask permission to try a few different ones, it can be an expensive matter of trial and error.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Russell Day-Long

Russell Day-Long seat. First on my 08 GS for 35K miles including 20 straight days of 300+ miles per day. Never had a butt issue. So the first mod on my 2012 RT was the RDL. Only down side is you have to send your old seat in to be customized to your specifications. They require height, weight, inseam and pictures of you on your bike. It takes a couple weeks door to door so depending on when you have it built you may miss some time. On the GS, I bought a seat from someone here on SL and send it in. Then, no down time.
    Love my

Statistics show that most motorcycle accidents are caused by a defective nut holding the handlbars.

Spyder Garage

Love my Corbin.. With backrest for front and her. Took about 500 miles to break it in, and can now ride all day.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I currently have the OEM seat with a Utopia backrest. I have sat on and like the BRP Comfort Seat. I have sat on and disliked the Ultimate and Corbins seats as both make me slide forward. I am planning on purchasing a Bill Mayer (www.billmayersaddles.com) seat in the next few weeks.
    Had a bill mayers seat on my suzuki v strom. Well made and loved it. Next best seat to the RDL.David

Spyder Garage

Default Corbin

I love my Corbin and my wife loves the trunkrest and armrests that go with it. I installed the Corbin after I blew out a disc from the too soft for me OEM seat. Corbin is a hard surface and it took a few miles for the seat and my posterior to become best friends!

Let's Roll

Spyder Garage

I like the original stock seat on my 2008 GS best... Why? Because it works great and I have never tried anything else.

If I tried another seat and I liked it better, then I would spend more money and that would make me feel worse!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
    Had a bill mayers seat on my suzuki v strom. Well made and loved it. Next best seat to the RDL.David
    Did you know that Bill Mayer was the originator of the Day Long Saddle? He sold it to Russell and it became the Russell Day Long.
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ooh ... The answer to a trivia question!
    Thanks!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Seat

Quote Originally Posted by hchays View Post
    I am sure that this question has been asked before, but I am going to ask again. I would like to know what seat you like the best and why? Please respond with what you ride, what seat you like the best, what seat's you have tried and why you like it the best. Thanks
    After looking at Ultimate & Corbin we purchased our seat from Diamond Custom Seats-
    800.722.9995 � 386.698.2737 � Fax: 386.698.2762 � PO Box 489 � Seville, Florida 32190 These seats are custom fit to the rider to fit weight and body size. Just can't believe how comfortable this seat is. We've had it for over 6 months.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OLD FTS View Post
    After looking at Ultimate & Corbin we purchased our seat from Diamond Custom Seats-
    800.722.9995 � 386.698.2737 � Fax: 386.698.2762 � PO Box 489 � Seville, Florida 32190 These seats are custom fit to the rider to fit weight and body size. Just can't believe how comfortable this seat is. We've had it for over 6 months.
    What is the price on these?
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Corbin

I had a Corbin on my Honda 750 and I have about 400 miles on the Corbin on my 2013 RT Limited. We went with the works and the boss (wife) loves it over the stock seat. Yes I love it too, however most already know if the boss isn't happy it doesn't matter.

Spyder Garage

Anything but the factory seat! I settled on a Corbin but if I had to do it all over again I might go with Mustang. I have a mustang on my Shadow and love it.
    Sam Mancuso

Our "his and hers" Spyders. Read more about them at theotherwheel.com

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Seat Choice

Yesterday my wife just received the Ultimate Midrider seat w/backrest for her RT which I immediately installed. Between Monday and Thursday she will have put at least 700 to 800 miles on it and we'll let you know what she thinks. It was between the Corbin and Ultimate... Ultimate gives you 14 days to try it out and return if not satisfied so you can't lose other than the shipping. Total with shipping was $900... We didn't get the passenger backrest as no one rides there. It does match the Ultimate however the stitching is white on the stock rest and black on the Ultimate but it still looks good. My friend has one on his Wing and loves it but as stated everyone is different. A local dealer here would discount the Corbin by 20% which with shipping would be $730 with leather top and vinyl sides as Ultimate is all vinyl. That would be a personal choice as well.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Seat Choice after 900 miles

We just finished about 900 miles in the past few days in which I installed the Ultimate Midrider on my wife's 2012 RT limited. First day at about 300 miles I asked her what she thought and she said she loved it as it was comfortable. As we continued she told me she told me the ride would not have been as enjoyable without it. The seat w/drivers back rest was $900 to include shipping. I will say that Ultimate would not deal and the price was the price. I could have gotten a Corbin w/backrest for about $730 from a local dealer who would discount it. The Corbin may be just as good or better which we can't say because since she's happy with the Ultimate we'll be keeping it.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool Seats

As many know seats can be so subjective as a debate item because everyone of us built different. We rode the factory seat for several months until we decided this puppy is not getting the job done. Being fortunate to being just about fives mile south of Corbin's Florida store we naturally went there one Saturday morning. The nice young man showed us all the different options available and we made a decision to try one. He swapped the seat out and told us to go for a ride of at least an hour to see if we liked it. So we did and when we got back we were sold on it.

Then a few weeks later we went back as we could not get it to unlatch and raise. He went out stuck the key in the switch and smacked the seat with his fist and up it came. Several more times this happened to where we could not gain access to the under seat area and we did the same drill without any success but they could smack it and it would open. Finally during Bike Week 2013 while at the BRP tent, we stuffed our helmet straps under the seat and secured them. Come time to go and the darn seat would not unlatch. Until a man with an ISCI shirt came over and moved the seat around until it unlatched. After getting it up and our helmets out another RT rider came over and said he had just had his fixed at Corbin they discovered the seat form was about an 1/8th inch to long in the front.

Being local we avoided the weekend crowd and went during the week. Got the same dog an pony show. Key, smack, open your fixed, see ya! Well I was not satisfied this time but I went on rather then argue the point. When we got home we tried to raise the seat again. After almost getting arrested for seat abuse it decided to let go. secured the seat with the built in prop did my under seat inspection and cleaning. Went to put it down and could not remember " was the prop to the back or the front? So I logically decided to the front. Latched the seat and tried to open it. Bingo, it opened. Did it again, same thing, opened. Tried it again, same thing. Tried it again except this time reversed the prop. Would not open! Smacked it around until opened and reveres the prop and it opens every time.

Why did it take all those trips to Corbin and they not think to check the prop? They obviously don't communicate well internally.

Got a friend with a 2012 RTL bought a Corbin seat. Stitching was pulling loose under warranty. He had to take and have his original seat reinstalled so they could send the Corbin warranty repair to California to have the stitching replaced. Why could they not just swap the seat out, repair it and resell it? It was not modified or damaged! So he makes three round trips of 120 miles a trip!

I will think twice before I do the Corbin route again!

Spyder Garage

Russell dual with backrest. Original seat (SM5) was painful.
    08 RS/SM5 (Hers) (sold)
    15 RT-S (Mine)
    2015 RT-S , Metallic Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

The next time I get a new seat I would seriously consider the Kontour seat
    http://kontourseat.com/index.html . I met Spyderpops in Ottawa at the Spyder Rally and had a chance to chat with him about his contour seat . The seat is of great quality and workmanship and is highly customized to fit Spyderpops . My only draw back was having to ship my seat to them in Arizona. I went with Corbin and I am happy with my seat. I ordered the stock heated seat and we are happy with it. It is more comfortable than the stock seat

Spyder Garage

I got the BRP comfort seat and installed it 2 days ago. So far I love it. Fits me perfect and I am 6'4".
    I had the wife get on the back as I also want to add a driver backrest. There is just enough room for it and her

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black