Spyder Garage

Default Waterproofing seat

I do plan on riding in the rain and have read that all seats leak at the seams and are not waterproof. So today I am trying something I have a can of Kiwi Camp Dry and I did all the seams on my stock seat. I wiped the excess off the flat areas and you cannot tell anything has been applied. I am wondering how well , if at all, this will work to waterproof the seat. Guess I will find out plan on riding 40 miles in what could end up being some heavy rain tonight. I will report back later.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Please let us know I need it here in the Northwest.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Curious...
    I don't know if the vinyl seating area is impermeable or not;you might want to give it a dosage also...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I know when I purchased my ultimate seat, he took time to explain to me to install rain cover he provides free with seat purchase. He told me extended exposure to water could damage inner seat. Just a FYI

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Curious...
    I don't know if the vinyl seating area is impermeable or not;you might want to give it a dosage also...
    I dunno I do not want to make it slippery guess I am gonna find out soon enough. Usually vinyl is water proof that is why they use it on boat seats. Those seats usually have a plastic seam sowed in.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy56 View Post
    I know when I purchased my ultimate seat, he took time to explain to me to install rain cover he provides free with seat purchase. He told me extended exposure to water could damage inner seat. Just a FYI
    Because the seams leak not the seat and can soak the inner foam. At least that is my story and I am sticking with it for now.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool

I use Armorall leather cleaner and sealer cloths on my BRP Comfort and it hasent held any watter or gotten wet inside the foam so far so good.
    Mike

Spyder Garage

Default 2012 rt se5 ltd

Always carry a big plastic garbage bag incase its rains when you park maybe over night somewhere.And just lift seat and slip on.Thats if you don't have a cover for your spyder.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) pslawing's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

What a great idea. That waterproofing spray worked great on our tent. Why wouldn't it work on my ultimate seat. Be sure and let us know the results!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Don't tell us if you're praying for rain to test it out!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I have ridden stock seats over 65000 miles in the past three plus years, a lot in the rain, without any leak problems contrary to my friends with Corbin and Ultimate who have had problems in 13 months. The BRP seat can't really be waterproof but the OEM has held up very well
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Very Active Member Silvervette05's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Be carefull what you put on the seat, you do not want to make it slick, you might go flying just my $.02

Spyder Garage

I saw a commercial on TV the other night about a product that Home Depot is selling. Its called Never Wet. Anybody use this or know if its any good. Don't know if it would be feasible for the seat but what about your leather boots?

Spyder Garage

Well I did ride in the rain for 70mi. seat seemed dry when I got home but the water spots were all over the untreated material so I did the whole seat and really soaked the seams(again). Obviously the seat is not breathable I had to let it sit for 24hrs( Camp Dry can said 24-48hrs). It was shiny after it dried but wiping the seat down with a microfiber towel made it less so. It is not slippery at all. It is for all intents water proof. Got my Ultimate BR coming so that will be an ingress point but I opted for the leather cover. I will be spraying it and the hole I cut well too. Poured water on the seat , it beaded and ran off. I am good with this Mod. Hope it lasts but the seams should for sure.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) pslawing's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Magdave

So you are saying you would do it again!
    Seat not slick!
    Recommended Mod!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pslawing View Post
    Magdave

So you are saying you would do it again!
    Seat not slick!
    Recommended Mod!
    Yes I would

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Zenagirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Waterproofing seat

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    I do plan on riding in the rain and have read that all seats leak at the seams and are not waterproof. So today I am trying something I have a can of Kiwi Camp Dry and I did all the seams on my stock seat. I wiped the excess off the flat areas and you cannot tell anything has been applied. I am wondering how well , if at all, this will work to waterproof the seat. Guess I will find out plan on riding 40 miles in what could end up being some heavy rain tonight. I will report back later.
    I was wondering why BRP didn't make the Spyder seat waterproof to begin with??? (My motorcycle seat was waterproof.) I unexpectantly got caught in a down pour a couple of weeks ago and was okay until I had to get off the bike and open a gate to pass through. It was raining so hard that when I got back onto the bike it was like sitting down in a kid's wading pool!! My seat was like an instant sponge! I'm thinking I'm going to get caught in rain this weekend, and I am not looking forward to riding a couple of hundred miles on a sopping wet seat. The garbage bag is a good idea for when I'm not on it, but does BRP or someone sell waterproof covers that fit over the stock seats?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Zenagirl View Post
    I was wondering why BRP didn't make the Spyder seat waterproof to begin with??? (My motorcycle seat was waterproof.) I unexpectantly got caught in a down pour a couple of weeks ago and was okay until I had to get off the bike and open a gate to pass through. It was raining so hard that when I got back onto the bike it was like sitting down in a kid's wading pool!! My seat was like an instant sponge! I'm thinking I'm going to get caught in rain this weekend, and I am not looking forward to riding a couple of hundred miles on a sopping wet seat. The garbage bag is a good idea for when I'm not on it, but does BRP or someone sell waterproof covers that fit over the stock seats?
    There is no such thing as a completely waterproof, stitched seat. Those having less stiching in the low areas (for dished seats) have fewer problems. Those having waterproof fabric (like the Spyder's vinyl) have fewer problems. Those having plastic covered foam beneath the seat cover have fewer "spnge" problems. There is no absolute cure for a stitched seat but a one-piece external rain cover. JMHO
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Wonder how product you use for tent seems would work ? You just do the seems .

Spyder Garage

Default Made a cover BUT need a lighter weight more pliable fabric

I made a waterproof cover for my Corbin seat...BUT need to find a lighter weight fabric. I used a vinyl like they use for boat seats...Great as long as the temp is above 70' pliable and easy to get on...BUT seldom is it that warm when raining and then it is so stiff and cold it is a major chore...
    So someone got suggestion for fabric I can buy...I do overlapping seams and seal with stuff for seams...
    Thanks...and if you happen to have the merchant info for same that makes shopping reallllly easy for me.... Know I am headed into a weekend of rain for the Oyster Run so will put cover on before I leave home....
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default waterproof seat

[QUOTE=Magdave;665150]I do plan on riding in the rain and have read that all seats leak at the seams and are not waterproof. So today I am trying something I have a can of Kiwi Camp Dry and I did all the seams on my stock seat. I wiped the excess off the flat areas and you cannot tell anything has been applied. I am wondering how well , if at all, this will work to waterproof the seat. Guess I will find out plan on riding 40 miles in what could end up being some heavy rain tonight. I will report back later.

This is my thought..plastics bag .....reall..come on..why would anyone put a plastic bag on a $15,000 dollar bike...man u talking about making our bikes look like trash.ive never seen any bike rider do that. well seems to me that either brp or someone would comeout with a waterproof seat cover.i would even buy one if i knew who sold them.im like everyone else out there why wouldnt spyder make a leather seat kinda like the honda 4 wheelers.my seat on my 4 wheeler dont leak.!!!..i have use that campdry before it works excellent on anything that i have put it on..im going to start looking around..oh i just had a idea!!what about making a seat cover with a bike cover.that kind of material is waterproof ..all someone would have to do is make one with that kind of material and make it with elastic around edges.but when someone makes it needs to be one piece.but i do like thewaterproofing the seem mod as well....both would work just depends on how much money and time u want to put into it....
    chuck

Spyder Garage

Default You describe mine...but fabric to heavy / stiff

[QUOTE=RidersInChrist;691529]
    Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post

This is my thought..plastics bag .....reall..come on..why would anyone put a plastic bag on a $15,000 dollar bike...man u talking about making our bikes look like trash.ive never seen any bike rider do that. well seems to me that either brp or someone would comeout with a waterproof seat cover.i would even buy one if i knew who sold them.im like everyone else out there why wouldnt spyder make a leather seat kinda like the honda 4 wheelers.my seat on my 4 wheeler dont leak.!!!..i have use that campdry before it works excellent on anything that i have put it on..im going to start looking around..oh i just had a idea!!what about making a seat cover with a bike cover.that kind of material is waterproof ..all someone would have to do is make one with that kind of material and make it with elastic around edges.but when someone makes it needs to be one piece.but i do like thewaterproofing the seem mod as well....both would work just depends on how much money and time u want to put into it....
    chuck
    Yep mine is one piece slips over my backrest has elastic around bottom to hold secure and even has a gas door!!!!! And by overlap stitching and seam sealer no leaks...BUT need a lighter weight, more pliable 100% waterproof fabric. I have a corbin seat. Looking for that fabric NOW...since rainy season is starting and it would be a good winter project for me...
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mcaccamise View Post
    I use Armorall leather cleaner and sealer cloths on my BRP Comfort and it hasent held any watter or gotten wet inside the foam so far so good.
    Mike

I use Armorall leather cleaner and sealer on my 2011 RS-S and have no problems with water and it's a stitched seat.

Mike