Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2012 vs. 2013

Spyder Garage

Default 2012 vs. 2013

Hi all,

Are the Brembros cause enough to choose the 2013 RT over a 2012?
    That and the color display are the main differences, right?

Y

Spyder Garage

There are a few other changes in front end geometry and a new frame. Radio is now standard. New gen ABS and tire sizes.

http://www.powersportsbusiness.com/t...-am-spyder-rt/

Last edited by Magdave; 07-29-2013 at 11:01 PM.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Default Drive both and my prediction is you will

buy a 13'. New frame, suspension, brakes, larger front wheels and tires etc. You will notice a difference...
    Lets ride!!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The Brembos are a HUGE improvement...
    But you can't ignore the other improvements!
    New Frame, relocated battery...
    The front suspension has taken a few hits; but it's also an improvement...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I have driven 3 different 2013 RTs and one ST and I find the handling quality from the so called improved suspension package to be pathetic. My 2012 and I believe even my 2010 would corner and control better...
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

But there are more to the improvements than just the front suspension...

Very Active Member MidLifeCrisis's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The Brembo brakes are nice, but you have the option to upgrade the rotors and pads for 30% improvement with the Kit BajaRon sells, so the improvement from the 2013 becomes less noticeable there too.

Spyder Garage

Former 2012 owner, current 2013 owner

Go with the 2013, many good improvements, better ride and brakes, just my two cents worth

Cruzr Joe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BikerDoc View Post
    I have driven 3 different 2013 RTs and one ST and I find the handling quality from the so called improved suspension package to be pathetic. My 2012 and I believe even my 2010 would corner and control better...
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I disagree. I like the corner and handleing of my 2013 over my 2010 hands down!
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I know this is in the RT section....However, I own a 12' RS and acquired a 13' ST for a loaner for the day.
    Sorry, but IMHO I was super disappointed in the handling of the 13'. I am NOT a fan of the new suspension based on what I've seen and ridden in person....
    The extra electronic gadgets are cool, but I would worry about gremlins. Doesn't seem like electronics is BRP's strong area...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    I know this is in the RT section....However, I own a 12' RS and acquired a 13' ST for a loaner for the day.
    Sorry, but IMHO I was super disappointed in the handling of the 13'. I am NOT a fan of the new suspension based on what I've seen and ridden in person....
    The extra electronic gadgets are cool, but I would worry about gremlins. Doesn't seem like electronics is BRP's strong area...
    Like I said, each is entitled to their opinion.

My wife never cared for the handeling of the RT, that is why she's got an RS-S, and once she likes something, she keeps it until convinced otherwise. I, on the other hand, not much a fan of the RS-S handleing. But I test rode the 2013 RT and ST, liked them both and went with the RT because of the comfort.
    That is why there are different "flavors"... if not the world would be a boring place!
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

31 flavors... and no waiting!

Spyder Garage

Two different spyders?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

This could rapidly get into a us/them discussion. Lot's of opinions and most based on actual experience.

I recommend test riding both flavors that you are interested in, and see which one "pops" for you. I have a 2010, and a 2011, so am one year behind the discussion as far as first hand knowledge goes.

The 2012's seem to have the "least" amount of issues discussed with them. We all know what is currently going on with the 2013's. There should be some real deals on 2013's offered, now that the 2014's are on the horizon. That should even make the 2012's a better deal. I would surely recommend an extended warranty on the 2013's--just in case.

Wishing you a great shopping experience. Let us know what you finally decide on.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

If you have an older RT, thinking about trading, fergedaboutit….. However, if you don't then it comes down to how much you want to pay, and what you get for it. Nothing wrong with a '12, but it's worth less than the '13 as soon as you drive off, so make sure the unit is priced accordingly.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    If you have an older RT, thinking about trading, fergedaboutit….. However, if you don't then it comes down to how much you want to pay, and what you get for it. Nothing wrong with a '12, but it's worth less than the '13 as soon as you drive off, so make sure the unit is priced accordingly.
    A year ago, when I decided I had to trade off my Vulcan 900 because I could no longer manage two wheels, I purchased a brand new 2011 RT A&C. Got a good trade on the Vulcan, and a good discount on the holdover 2011--so drove away a very happy camper. One year and 8500 miles later--still a very happy camper.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

My wife and I rode our neighbor's 2012 RT Limited for a total of 4 hours over a few weeks before purchasing. We could have gotten a great deal on a 2012, but the changes on the 2013 are definitely noticeable so we bought a 2013 RT-S. However, I think this boils down to your riding style. My neighbor is 62 years old and doesn't push her 2012 enough to where she would notice the difference. However, I am an aggressive rider (when riding solo) and I can clearly feel the handling / breaking differences between the 2012 and 2013. And yes, I often ride them back to back because I do all of the maintenance for my neighbor. The 15" vs. 14" wheels alone will make a handling difference, let alone the changes to the frame and brakes .....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    This could rapidly get into a us/them discussion. Lot's of opinions and most based on actual experience.

I recommend test riding both flavors that you are interested in, and see which one "pops" for you. I have a 2010, and a 2011, so am one year behind the discussion as far as first hand knowledge goes.

The 2012's seem to have the "least" amount of issues discussed with them. We all know what is currently going on with the 2013's. There should be some real deals on 2013's offered, now that the 2014's are on the horizon. That should even make the 2012's a better deal. I would surely recommend an extended warranty on the 2013's--just in case.

Wishing you a great shopping experience. Let us know what you finally decide on.

Spyder Garage

Again, if you have a RT, keep your $$$. My '10 has had nary an issue, runs like a top, and I wouldn't give a dime for a new one, as it's taken me three years to get it set up the way I want it, and I still have two years of warranty left. To me, the seat, floorboards, and exhaust (a fraction of my farkles) are worth far more than the changes offered on a '13. Something you might consider if looking at a used RT.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

I traded My Gl1800 for a 2010 Spyder Rt 3 years ago because of a bad hip. The whole time I owned it, I wished I would have just had hip replacement surgery. Oh I got used to taking into the dealer every month or so for warranty work and got used to riding the bike, but never trusted it. Every time we went on a trip, the worry of if the bike was gonna start in the morning, and not go into limp mode at some point was on our minds. The stabilizer from Ron was the biggest improvement on the bike, with the Ultimate seat a close second. A short time back we traded it for a 2013 RTS. On the way home from the dealership, I couldn't believe this bike was made by the same company. It is so much smother and refined. The brakes are night and day different, the floorboards are awesome, and not 1 trip to the dealer for warranty work or a limp mode in 1200 miles. I will probably replace the swaybar at some point, I took the Ultimate seat off my old bike, but I'm totally impressed with the bike at this time. It is THE bike I thought I was getting last time. I do plan on getting the extended warranty when I can, but right now I'm just loving the heck out of this bike, and no longer missing my Wing.

Spyder Garage

The 2013's seem to come with a much hotter heat package also.
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder3 View Post
    The 2013's seem to come with a much hotter heat package also.
    I see you added heat shields to yours, the old one must have good heaters too!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dslim View Post
    I see you added heat shields to yours, the old one must have good heaters too!

Yes, exactly. I did say much hotter....
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Im partial to my 2012 and wouldent want the heat issues the 2013 are having melting parts would be enough to sway my decision, i can always add larger brakes and tires and the shock relocators are now available also price is a huge consideration?
    Mike

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have ridden the 2012 RS & RSS as well as the 2013 RS & RSS and I own an ST. I bought the ST because I thought the 2013 was an improvement over the previous lines...not just the positioning, they literally successfully blended the touring of the RT with the sport feel of the RS/RSS. Brembos are a dramatic improvement over previous models, but it only starts there. Totally dig the Zumo nav, radio, windshield, etc.
    For the record, I have had ZERO problems with the ST electronics. I have, however, had problems attributed to the 2013 ST lineup, but EVERY make/model BRP has made has had some problem attributed to it. Not all ST owners suffered what I did, and my woes were quickly adressed by my dealer & BRP. Overall I am a satisfied ST owner & would recommend others at least test ride an ST to decide for themselves. I think you'll find a lot of varying opinions...and my personal opinion is that the ST is a step up from the previous year's models...Brembos have already saved my skin, as I have had some numbskull turn in front of me while i'm at speed probably once every couple of weeks since owning my bike. Brembos slow down and stop on a dime; hands down. I have to say that I ride my ST like a sport bike moreso than a touring bike (when i'm 1-up without my son or girlfriend, that is).

Brembos are in my best interest. My next purchase will be a BajaRon Sway bar now that they're ready for the 2013 (I think), then an exhaust (One that'll fit with my ST saddlebags). I am trying to walk the line between responsible weekend rider, and performance demanding enthusiast. The ST allows me to do just this...IMHO, of course.