Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default HELP 2012 RSS SE5 stuck in first gear - any suggestions?

My 2012 rss is stuck in first gear..wont let me shift to neutral or reverse..any suggestions the bike has just over a 1000 miles. thanx

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool

First, check the shift linkage. I believe there is an Allen key in your kit to manually remove the shifter back to neutral.
    Also, you may try to make sure the Park Brake is on and also the foot brake, then start the bike and try to shift into neutral.
    Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-25-2022 at 06:45 PM. Reason: nutral - neutral + more! :-/

Spyder Garage

Roll the bike forward, then backwards then try shifting again

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanx I will try when I get home from work..The bike starts up fine and I have driven it for a few blocks in first just to see, in case I have to go to my dealer, who is about 20 miles away... but I thank you for the info.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-25-2022 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Caps +

Spyder Garage

I have the same year and model.
    I've always had success by shutting down (kill switch), parking brake, remove key, and walk away. Come back in a minute and give her a try. My experience has show that it will start in neutral.

It's happened, maybe 3 times over the past year.
    I'm sure someone else here will provide you with a more descriptive response.

Good luck!
    D
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-25-2022 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Break (shatter, broken) - brake (slow down, stop) %-)

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ScarMace View Post
    thanx i will try when i get home from work.. the bike starts up fine and i have driven it for a few blocks in first just to see incase i have to go to my dealer which is about 20 miles away.. but i thank u for any inf
    There's a 13mm wrench in the toolkit, You can use it to manually shift into neutral, That might help? It should be in the manual that came with the Spyder...

Spyder Garage

The standard procedure is to press the brake while starting. The alternative is to manually change the gear with the wrench from the toolkit. Both procedures are in your owners manual. Beyond that the shift linkage could have come loose on the shaft. If none of these bear fruit, you'll need a tow to the dealer somehow (hard if the Spyder can't be moved).
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I don't see anything in the manual that shows me how to put it in neutral with the allen wrench... Did I mention it's an automatic? This is so frustrating... We finally have nice weather in NY and this happens. Smh... It starts like a charm, then lurches forward a few times, then goes into idle and stays on...
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-25-2022 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Caps +

Spyder Garage

I don't see anything in the manual that shows me how to put it in neutral with the allen wrench... Did I mention it's an automatic? This is so frustrating... We finally have nice weather in NY and this happens. Smh... It starts like a charm, then lurches forward a few times, then goes into idle and stays on...
    It is not an allen wrench, it is a 13 mm open end. It should be in your manual. Anyway, if stepping on the brake isn't working, you may need dealer assistance anyway... providing your oil level is adequate. Low oil will prevent proper shifting.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-25-2022 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    It is not an allen wrench, it is a 13 mm open end. It should be in your manual. Anyway, if stepping on the brake isn't working, you may need dealer assistance anyway...providing your oil level is adequate. Low oil will prevent proper shifting.
    Scotty it's not in the 2012 manual. I am not sure what year it was taken out.

Here is the procedure out of the 2009 GS Manual.

manual shift.jpg

2018 F3 LIMITED

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanx for the pic of the 09 GS manual. I will attempt.
    Do I need a lift to do this? Oil level is fine, I pulled main fuses then tried to start it - same thing. Maybe gear shift sensor is faulty?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-25-2022 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Caps +

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanx for the pic of the 09 GS manual. I will attempt.
    Do I need a lift to do this? ......
    NO, You don't.......
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-25-2022 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Scotty it's not in the 2012 manual. I am not sure what year it was taken out.

Here is the procedure out of the 2009 GS Manual.

manual shift.jpg
    Thanks for the update.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default RE: HELP 2012 rss se5 stuck in first gear

Did you try to start it with your foot on the brake to force the comp to drop you back into neutral?

Y

My 2012 rss is stuck in first gear..wont let me shift to neutral or reverse..any suggestions the bike has just over a 1000 miles. thanx

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Y-me View Post
    Did you try to start it with your foot on the brake to force the comp to drop you back into neutral?

Y
    In post #4 the OP stated it starts just fine.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Y-me View Post

Y
    Yes I did, still no luck... Anyone have a phone number for BRP? Is it even worth it to call them? Has anyone had any luck dealing with them?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-25-2022 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Caps +

Spyder Garage

yes i did still no luck....anyone have a phone number for brp..is it even worth it to call them? has anyone had any luck dealing with them?
    How come you're not calling the dealer? BRP is going to tell you to take it to the dealer anyway.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    How come you're not calling the dealer? BRP is going to tell you to take it to the dealer anyway.
    Honestly, the dealer is a prick! And the only other dealer in town is not much better... I'm going to have to bite the bullet and take it there. I'm just trying to exhaust all my resources first... plus I have to take highways and a bridge to get there, and I'm not really happy about driving it in first gear all the way there... And I really don't want to have it towed (unless it's my last resort).
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-25-2022 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Caps +

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanx everyone for all your help
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-25-2022 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Caps +

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

So I finally broke down and had my flat bedded to dealer on Wednesday... They call me on Friday telling me that my air filter was clogged and that's why I couldn't shift out of first gear... I have had 2 wheel bikes before (I know the is a different animal) but a clogged air filter never prevented me from being able to shift gears before (the bike would overheat and shut down)... Has anyone else heard of an air filter preventing you from shifting gears on a ?? Like I said in previous posts, I'm not to fond of this dealer, but what can I do if they've got it working? Any thoughts on an air filter causing shifting problems? Thanx

2012 RSS SE5
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-25-2022 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Caps +

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

So I finally broke down and had my flat bedded to dealer on Wednesday... They call me on Friday telling me that my air filter was clogged and that's why I couldn't shift out of first gear... I have had 2 wheel bikes before (I know the is a different animal) but a clogged air filter never prevented me from being able to shift gears before (the bike would overheat and shut down)... Has anyone else heard of an air filter preventing you from shifting gears on a ?? Like I said in previous posts, I'm not to fond of this dealer, but what can I do if they've got it working? Any thoughts on an air filter causing shifting problems? Thanx

2012 RSS SE5
    That's a new one on me [air filter] Could be that he got it working by dumb luck and just made up a story about the air filter? I would look for anther dealer the next time you have a problem.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-25-2022 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

what dealer do u go to boborgera in north/central jerzy? i take mine to staten island so i wouldnt mind going a little further. there is only two dealers some what close to me and they both have bad reviews.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

what dealer do u go to boborgera in north/central jerzy? i take mine to staten island so i wouldnt mind going a little further. there is only two dealers some what close to me and they both have bad reviews.
    Wish i could help, But when i did have a Spyder i went to a dealer in PA, Which in all honesty i won't recommend him for Spyders, For bikes yes i would recommend him....

Just a side note, I was born in Brooklyn [Bushwick] move to Jersey in the 70's....

Spyder Garage

Default What..!!

better story would be the oil filter. Oil level and pressure can cause a shifting problem but the air filter never. Clogged air filter would cause a rich mix situation for which you would get a code to that effect and the engine would shut down. Watch your oil level, get in the habit of checking it after long rides cause they use oil but get better about it with time... If possible change service/dealer....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

thanx everyone for ur help.