Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Unhappy tire pressure monitoring

I would like to see if anyone has used the wireless tire pressure monitoring kit from Big Bike Parts sold by Show Chrome. They show a regular trike but the number one cap goes on the single front tire. Has anyone used these before?

Spyder Garage

I have there 4wheel model from my old Goldwing, bike plus trailer.

I put the two trailer caps on the front wheels and one of the bike caps on the rear works fine.

they have a spyder model out now, just the LCD is different, want them to make spyder plus trailer 5 wheel system

harry
    live from the uk
    "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus"
    My Rides;
    Nimbus 2000, Ford Anglia, 2012 Spyder RT Limited, Pre 14 Vintage Classic Collectors Edition!

Favorite Ride;
    Nimbus 2000 boy this thing can fly.

Mods:
    Charm of invisibility, Reparo Charm (cuts down on service cost)

One always wonders about roads not taken.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default monitor

Thanks for the come back and I just off the phone with a buddy who owns a Goldwing and he says you can use any number any where you want just remember which one is where. Thanks Gary

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Harry,
    How accurate is that system...(Comparing it to the BRP's supplied gauge), and were there any issues with the balance of the tires?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Harry,
    How accurate is that system...(Comparing it to the BRP's supplied gauge), and were there any issues with the balance of the tires?
    BRP's supplied gauge?
    What is that and should it come with the Spyder?

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Harry,
    Bob,
    i think they were referring to this http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/sh...rt/BBP-13-316A
    not the one that comes in the spyder tool kit
    If you ryde like there's no tomorrow, there won't be any
    Accidents hurt - safety doesn't

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    BRP's supplied gauge?
    What is that and should it come with the Spyder?

Bob
    Check your tool kit, should be in there.
    Catching a Yellow Jacket in your helmet at 65 mph can double your vocabulary

Spyder Garage

Default TireGard Trike

Quote Originally Posted by Topshotta View Post
    Bob,
    i think they were referring to this http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/sh...rt/BBP-13-316A ....
    I have been using the TireGard Trike system for a couple of years on my RTs. Works great and no tire balance issues. The remote control vibrates if the pressure in a tire drops below the programmed level. I think there are some cheaper systems around but this one is very well made and reliable.

TireGardTrike.jpg

Spyder Garage

Default If the battery isn't dead

Quote Originally Posted by 1VENOM View Post
    It is in the tool kit but the battery was DOA I've been using a digital one that seems accurate and repeatable.

Ride safe,
    Curt Givens KC8STE
    Dayton, OH - Home of Hamvention
    MOLON LABE
    2012 Viper Red RT-S
    Center tail/brake light
    Mud flap run/ts
    Fender bright sides
    LED Tip lights
    Rivco Flag holder on trunk
    BRP Hitch
    Piggybacker XL Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 1VENOM View Post
    You DID find the tool kit; didn't you?

Spyder Garage

Default TPM

I have TPM monitors that are made for the can am. They work great and do not cause a balance issue. The company is www.Tpms.ca. There are about two hundred plus shipping.
    4" Stubby antenna, Dual arm LEDs Fender LEDs, Back Rest, Luggage Rack, Run, Brake and Strobe for top case, Mirror LEDs,Back Off decal on mud flap, reciptal for Battery Tender and Heated Gear, mirror LEDs that stay on or work with blinkers, GPS, side bag red LEDs, Top cuff with Ram Ball phone holder And USB power, Top cuff with drink holder and passenger cup holder. Also grilles in front of radiators, also spyclops. Garmin 595 GPS, Freedom windshield. Also glove box console And trunk wrap in carbon fiber from wrap my spyder. BRP comfort seat. added garage opener with rocker switch in center console to match other switches. And I have added Elka stage 2 shocks.
    15 rt , yes Black

Spyder Garage

You DID find the tool kit; didn't you?
    OK I knew where the tool kit is but never took it out and looked inside as I have my own tools.

So I found the digital pressure gauge. However does this thing work properly?
    I tested it and found the following issues

1) It reads about 2 PSI higher than my "pen style" analog gauge. So which is right? As confusious says "Man with too many pressure gauges never knows the correct PSI"

2) If I hold the gauge on the stem, the readout keeps climbing! WTH is up with that? I held it on my front tire and it kept climbing to 37 PSI before it stopped increasing!

Am I doing something wrong using this thing or is it just a POS?

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I dunno...
    Mine just gives me a consistent number...
    Glad that you found it though!

Spyder Garage

Default Check..!!

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    OK I knew where the tool kit is but never took it out and looked inside as I have my own tools.

So I found the digital pressure gauge. However does this thing work properly?
    I tested it and found the following issues

1) It reads about 2 PSI higher than my "pen style" analog gauge. So which is right? As confusious says "Man with too many pressure gauges never knows the correct PSI"

2) If I hold the gauge on the stem, the readout keeps climbing! WTH is up with that? I held it on my front tire and it kept climbing to 37 PSI before it stopped increasing!

Am I doing something wrong using this thing or is it just a POS?

Bob
    todays posts have a repair for that problem. Take the gauge apart reseat the o ring and tighten the holding plate on the pressure sensor...he has pictures. But seems you should not have to repair a new item...

Just checked...it was you..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cjackg View Post
    I have been using the TireGard Trike system for a couple of years on my RTs. Works great and no tire balance issues. The remote control vibrates if the pressure in a tire drops below the programmed level. I think there are some cheaper systems around but this one is very well made and reliable.

TireGardTrike.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by samewok View Post
    I have TPM monitors that are made for the can am. They work great and do not cause a balance issue. The company is www.Tpms.ca. There are about two hundred plus shipping.
    One word of caution -- the fine print from both these manufacturers says not to use them with rubber valve stems. For the Canadian outfit Hawkshead (tpms.ca), it's item 14 in their FAQ's. A "chat" with Big Bike Parts (Tiregard) confirmed the same for them -- they don't recommend using with rubber stems. Some of the other manufacturers are more upfront about that recommendation. Doran tells you not to use rubber stems and even provides straight and 90-degree metal valve stems with their systems but I don't know if they would fit on a Spyder.

I've thought of installing these on my RT and my Gold Wing but any even slight possibility of causing premature valve stem failure kind of defeats the purpose.

RT and Gold Wing States & Provinces

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gypsy_100 View Post
    One word of caution -- the fine print from both these manufacturers says not to use them with rubber valve stems. For the Canadian outfit Hawkshead (tpms.ca), it's item 14 in their FAQ's. A "chat" with Big Bike Parts (Tiregard) confirmed the same for them -- they don't recommend using with rubber stems. Some of the other manufacturers are more upfront about that recommendation. Doran tells you not to use rubber stems and even provides straight and 90-degree metal valve stems with their systems but I don't know if they would fit on a Spyder.

I've thought of installing these on my RT and my Gold Wing but any even slight possibility of causing premature valve stem failure kind of defeats the purpose.
    I have used these on 2 RTs so far for nearly 3 years with no sign of any problem. Maybe if the tires had significantly longer life it might be a concern.
    I suspect the warnings are mostly a disclaimer to protect the seller.

Spyder Garage

I have only had mine on for 4 months now with no problem.
    4" Stubby antenna, Dual arm LEDs Fender LEDs, Back Rest, Luggage Rack, Run, Brake and Strobe for top case, Mirror LEDs,Back Off decal on mud flap, reciptal for Battery Tender and Heated Gear, mirror LEDs that stay on or work with blinkers, GPS, side bag red LEDs, Top cuff with Ram Ball phone holder And USB power, Top cuff with drink holder and passenger cup holder. Also grilles in front of radiators, also spyclops. Garmin 595 GPS, Freedom windshield. Also glove box console And trunk wrap in carbon fiber from wrap my spyder. BRP comfort seat. added garage opener with rocker switch in center console to match other switches. And I have added Elka stage 2 shocks.
    15 rt , yes Black