Spyder Garage

Default Sticking Turn Signal Fix

So I'm sitting at a red light and bored cause it is a long one and it is an overcast day somewhat. When a ray of light appears and illuminates the turn signal cluster. As I stare at the turn signal lever which is stuck in the left position it hits me like a bolt of lightning what the problem is. So I take my finger and push the button down as far as I dare and cycle the lever and sure enough it does not stick. If yours sticks in the left position look to see if the top of the knob is touching the housing in the left position. If you dare push it down far enough to make the little metal bar bend a few thou... of course if you push too far and brake something don't whine to me.

I might have been embellishing a bit about the ray of light but the rest of the story is true!

JT

Spyder Garage

Default Good to know..!!

heard a great deal about the sticking turn signal. Guess no one looked to see if it was rubbing up against the housing. I guess you could run a finger nail file between if pressure is a problem..great ideas pop up in the strangest places..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Just file a tiny bit off the top left corner of the knob if your scared to bend it. Yea, the light was just right to see that the two parts didn't have a gap and that struck me as odd.

JT

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Definitely gonna check this next time we're out on it. Thanks for the tip!

Very Active Member MidLifeCrisis's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Unbelievable! four passes with a fine file and problem solved JT, you're the man.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MidLifeCrisis View Post
    Unbelievable! four passes with a fine file and problem solved JT, you're the man.
    Glad I could help.

JT

MT Kevin

There is a total of 5 allen bolts on the multifunction switch, loosen top three and the bottom allen, leave the one that holds to the handlebar alone. Your problem will go away. dont take much of a turn on each one. Hope this helps.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MT Kevin View Post
    There is a total of 5 allen bolts on the multifunction switch, loosen top three and the bottom allen, leave the one that holds to the handlebar alone. Your problem will go away. dont take much of a turn on each one. Hope this helps.
    I'm sure I don't want to ride around with loose screws in the multifunction switch or in my head.

JT

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

JT,
    You keep coming up with these patches of brilliance, and we'll have to nominate you for "Scottyhood"
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    JT,
    You keep coming up with these patches of brilliance, and we'll have to nominate you for "Scottyhood"
    Thanks Bob, but more likely a Padawan to Scotty...

JT

Spyder Garage

Well ever since I bought the Spyder , even though it has self canceling turn signals, I have always used the middle cancel button to cancel the turn signal. I guess its just a habit cause my Triumph Rocket didn't have self canceling turn signals. Old habits are hard to break.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Rocket View Post
    Well ever since I bought the Spyder , even though it has self canceling turn signals, I have always used the middle cancel button to cancel the turn signal. I guess its just a habit cause my Triumph Rocket didn't have self canceling turn signals. Old habits are hard to break.
    This is something different, the button sticks in the left position and has nothing to do with self canceling function but now that you mention it the Spyder seems to change it's mind when to self cancel and I find myself canceling the turn signal as the self cancel is not predictable.

JT

Spyder Garage

Mine had been sticking but now it acts like the pivot pin in it has come loss. Has any one tried to fix one of these? 2013 RTL SE5
    Can Am 2013 RTL SE5