Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Question 08 GS Running tail lights out!

Hi all, I went out for a ride yesterday an got less than 1 mile when my bike went into limp mode. I turned the bike off then restarted and was able to ride home. The next day I restarted the spyder and had no codes but also no tail or running lights. Checked all fuses and they were all good. Can anyone help. OnVentures

Spyder Garage

Have you checked to make sure the tail lights aren't burned out?

Nanny doesn't like it when the bulbs aren't working.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

Also check the wire running to the license plate light. If it comes loose and contacts the tire it can short out and cause problems. I'd also check fuse F7 again, just to be sure. Beyond that it is likely bulbs if it started OK.
    Last edited by NancysToy; 08-09-2013 at 08:24 PM.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OnVentures View Post
    Hi all, I went out for a ride yesterday an got less than 1 mile when my bike went into limp mode. I turned the bike off then restarted and was able to ride home. The next day I restarted the spyder and had no codes but also no tail or running lights. Checked all fuses and they were all good. Can anyone help. OnVentures
    Do you have a wiring diagram?
    Fuse #7 is OK you said.
    I would start by checking for voltage- at the fuse(1-FB1-B7)red/yel wire,
    at the "input" side of the ignition switch(can't read connector info)red/yel wire,
    at the "output" side of the ignition switch, orange wire(switch must be on) this wire goes to JT(junction terminal?) which feeds - marker lights, tail lights, license plate light,brake light, an input into the VCM.
    i'm thinking it's got to be something common to all components not working.
    Loose connection, wire....
    Get your ground connection, for your meter, from under the seat.

I don't think it's a ground problem, as each component has it's own ground connection. Unless they all meet in one spot on the frame(I don't know where that is! I'm hoping Scotty will enlighten me!)
    Please let us know what the problem turns out to be,

Bill

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Lights

I had checked fuse f7 with my multi meter and it checked out ok. Then I replaced it with a new one and now I have brake and tail lights! Thank guys you are the best! OnVentures.

Spyder Garage

They all tie back to a single junction terminal...probably the rear frame ground negative jumper under the seat). I'd check the bulbs if the fuse is OK. A surge could take them all out. You could also check for voltage at the sockets if you protect the probe so it doesn't short on the socket side. Something had to cause the surge if there was one, though, like a dead short in the license light wiring. If nothing is obvious it is trace from beginning to end. At that point a shop manual and wiring diagram is invaluable.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

If you'll be checking and changing our your rear tail blubs, this may be of interest to you.
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...l=1#post237004
    Cheers

Spyder Garage

Change your rear bulbs out every three years and avoid the hassle of your bike going into limp mode. I do not understand the logic of having a bike stop when the stop lights go out. It seems like they are taking a bad situation and making it worse.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bobnaquin View Post
    Change your rear bulbs out every three years and avoid the hassle of your bike going into limp mode. I do not understand the logic of having a bike stop when the stop lights go out. It seems like they are taking a bad situation and making it worse.
    I agree 100%