Thread: RTS LTD 2013

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default RTS LTD 2013

I am a knew Spyder rider and I am terrified of my bike. I only have about 100 miles on it, but I get so stressed at the thought of taking it out for a ride. I feel like I can't control it at normal road speeds around left curves and bends in the road. My husband says it is me I am letting the bike drive me instead of me driving the bike. Is there any advice you experienced women can give me so I can feel safe, comfortable and relaxed on my ride? I really want to love this thing like everyone else loves theirs.....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kwalker5 View Post
    I am a knew Spyder rider and I am terrified of my bike. I only have about 100 miles on it, but I get so stressed at the thought of taking it out for a ride. I feel like I can't control it at normal road speeds around left curves and bends in the road. My husband says it is me I am letting the bike drive me instead of me driving the bike. Is there any advice you experienced women can give me so I can feel safe, comfortable and relaxed on my ride? I really want to love this thing like everyone else loves theirs.....
    I am not an experienced woman but I would recommend you take it in an open area without traffic and play with it, get comfortable with it and then venture out. You can find some training exercise in the manual. Give it time and you will be fine.
    On the new Ryder!
    If you ryde like there's no tomorrow, there won't be any
    Accidents hurt - safety doesn't

Spyder Garage

If it seems to wander all over the place, it is most likely not "you". Get that spyder back to dealer and have them check to see if it needs the ball joints replaced (warranty). My new 2013 RT Ltd did that same thing and ball joint replacement and re-alignment was like a miracle.

2014 Cognac RT Limited #185 (destroyed in T-Bone wreck 3/21/2014)
    2014 Cognac RT Limited #5333 (replacement 5/16/2014)
    2018 Champagne RT Limited #1002 (traded 1/31/2018)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default RTS LTD 2013

According to the dealer I got it at mine did not fall into that ball joint issue. I had a born date of I think 3/20/13.

Quote Originally Posted by krazykat View Post
    If it seems to wander all over the place, it is most likely not "you". Get that spyder back to dealer and have them check to see if it needs the ball joints replaced (warranty). My new 2013 RT Ltd did that same thing and ball joint replacement and re-alignment was like a miracle.

Spyder Garage

Hello again. I note you posted the same on 7/1/13. A lot of very knowledgeable people replied to your post with some very good advice. Did you try any of the advice, or go to the dealer to have your checked?

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Spyder_Cowgirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default From an Experienced Woman Rider

kwalker5 ... I consider myself an experienced rider. Almost 200K miles on two wheels, a 20 year break due to accident, and now nearly 3K miles on my 2012RT Limited. I see from previous posts, you have reviewed the do's and don'ts and that others have talked about the ball joint issue. Is your spyder darting all over the road like it has a mind of it's own? If so, my experience (and posts here on spyderlovers) tell me it is either the ball joints / alignment or the rider trying to over control the bike. So, first I would push the dealer a little to be sure that all is truly okay with the front end of the bike.

Then, take a look at the owners manual and find the pages that show recommended "course" to layout in a parking lot ... I encourage you to do this, it will help build your confidence in your ability to maintain control and relax. When running the "course" and executing turns, keep your head up and look towards where you want to go. Don't look at the edge of the turn / road or you will end up heading that direction (this is probably why you feel like you are going to drive off the road, you are unintentionally looking that direction ... a common mistake for new riders). Do not feel bad, and do not give up, with practice in a safe and controlled environment you will learn to ride the spyder and enjoy it.

Finally, if you can find a "trike" class this would be the best way to learn safe riding techniques in a controlled environment. Some Harley dealers are offering the Motorcycle Safety Foundation three-wheeled class and it is WELL WORTH THE TIME AND MONEY! Even with all my experience, I decided to take the class because my own fear after my accident was threatening my ride enjoyment. I still carry some fear with me when I ride, but it is manageable with the techniques I learned in class and probably healthy as it keeps me alert and looking all the time.

Take your time, don't push, and practice, practice, practice ... it will come to you in time. Best Regards ... Ann
    __________________________________________________ _
    2016 RT Limited -- "Jubilee" (as in Cherries)
    Guardian Bell (gift from spyderowboy)
    ISCI Dual Flag Mount – Tall Poles
    Lamonster Bottle Holder and Spyder Cuff
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Rear Run / Brake / Turn LEDs
    Spyderpops Mirror LEDs
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake

Spyderpops Keep Out The Trash (KOTT) Grills
    Don't Eat Mud / mudflap
    __________________________________________________ __

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Postings

I talked to dealer on the phone and they said the ball joints where not an issue and that they test drove it when it was setup and did not notice anything, they wanted me to bring it in for service though. I decided I would try and get used to like my husband said to do and so many of you experienced drivers on this forum. I am just hoping to get some female advice and tips on how to handle the machine better in left curves.

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Hello again. I note you posted the same on 7/1/13. A lot of very knowledgeable people replied to your post with some very good advice. Did you try any of the advice, or go to the dealer to have your checked?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default enjoying the ride

I would love to just take low speed rides and work my way up to 55 -60 mile an hour rides. The weather in Upstate NY has not been very cooperative, it is either raining or so hot and humid you can't stand to ride. The heat on the bike is unbelievable. I have always ridden my motorcycles with my coat and gloves, but I can't on the spyder or I would melt....I have been told by my husband that we are taking my spyder and his gold wing out for a long ride tomorrow so wish me luck everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder_Cowgirl View Post
    kwalker5 ... I consider myself an experienced rider. Almost 200K miles on two wheels, a 20 year break due to accident, and now nearly 3K miles on my 2012RT Limited. I see from previous posts, you have reviewed the do's and don'ts and that others have talked about the ball joint issue. Is your spyder darting all over the road like it has a mind of it's own? If so, my experience (and posts here on spyderlovers) tell me it is either the ball joints / alignment or the rider trying to over control the bike. So, first I would push the dealer a little to be sure that all is truly okay with the front end of the bike.

Then, take a look at the owners manual and find the pages that show recommended "course" to layout in a parking lot ... I encourage you to do this, it will help build your confidence in your ability to maintain control and relax. When running the "course" and executing turns, keep your head up and look towards where you want to go. Don't look at the edge of the turn / road or you will end up heading that direction (this is probably why you feel like you are going to drive off the road, you are unintentionally looking that direction ... a common mistake for new riders). Do not feel bad, and do not give up, with practice in a safe and controlled environment you will learn to ride the spyder and enjoy it.

Finally, if you can find a "trike" class this would be the best way to learn safe riding techniques in a controlled environment. Some Harley dealers are offering the Motorcycle Safety Foundation three-wheeled class and it is WELL WORTH THE TIME AND MONEY! Even with all my experience, I decided to take the class because my own fear after my accident was threatening my ride enjoyment. I still carry some fear with me when I ride, but it is manageable with the techniques I learned in class and probably healthy as it keeps me alert and looking all the time.

Take your time, don't push, and practice, practice, practice ... it will come to you in time. Best Regards ... Ann

Spyder Garage

Wishing you a stress free ride and good luck tomorrow!
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Postings

Thank you, I appreciate that.

Quote Originally Posted by Yazz View Post
    Wishing you a stress free ride and good luck tomorrow!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Have your dealer check the shocks. My 2013 RTS was darting around and since they replaced the shocks it handles awesome. Have you taken a motorcycle safety course of any kind? You would greatly benefit from one even if it was on 2 wheels. Like someone suggested read the Owner's Manual and do the practice exercises and make sure you don't grip the bars too tightly.

Also, check out Girls on Spyders on Facebook (it is a closed group so you have to ask to be admitted to the group) there are a lot of women who have been in your shoes and they may be able to give you more advice or encouragement.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default posting

I did take a motorcycle course to get my license about 5 years ago, I am familiar with riding a motorcycle and also 4 wheelers and snowmobiles. The spyder is nothing like a 2 wheeled bike, but it is (at least mine) a lot like a 4 wheeler. That is the best way to describe it. If anyone out there is familiar with the ride of an ATV going fast and the way it handles as though you where driving a sponge then you know what I am referring to. This is how I feel the spyder is at speeds of about 55. I took it out yesterday on back roads and put 65 miles on it, I felt great at 45-50 going through right hand bends, I slowed a lot going through the left bends because it feels like I have to push the handle bar with all my strength to complete the bend on my side of the road and when going straight @ 53-55 I felt like a bowl of jello swaying around....
    I don't have a facebook account so I can't check that out.

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Have your dealer check the shocks. My 2013 RTS was darting around and since they replaced the shocks it handles awesome. Have you taken a motorcycle safety course of any kind? You would greatly benefit from one even if it was on 2 wheels. Like someone suggested read the Owner's Manual and do the practice exercises and make sure you don't grip the bars too tightly.

Also, check out Girls on Spyders on Facebook (it is a closed group so you have to ask to be admitted to the group) there are a lot of women who have been in your shoes and they may be able to give you more advice or encouragement.

Registered Users JJW SpyderRider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Has your husband rode your Spyder and been able to ride without issue? If so, You might just need more seat time. Don't take the dealers word that the born date 100% guaranties you don't have a problem with the ball joints or alignment. My first Spyder was not on the list but was indeed in need of the recall.

RT-S: HMT brake light, mud flap lights/turn signals, Trailer hitch, Garmin 660 GPS, Ride-On, Travel cover, LED Mirror turn signals, LED trunk lighting, RGB ground effect lighting, BajRon anti-sway bar, to be continued ......

Member of the WSR (Woodstock Spyder Riders)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default posting

My husband has driven the spyder and at first said there was something wrong with the alignment, now he has gotten more used to it and it doesn't seem to phase him. He has more time on motorcycles, ATV's and snowmobiles and I think because of his crazy speed infatuation on all motorized vehicles he has driven, things like that just don't bother him. He would go extremely fast on ATV's even though they do not corner well, (much like my spyder) and make the ass end slide around that is not fun to me. That did not scare him, it scared me. I rode on the back of the spyder with him last Sunday and he scared the crap out of me going as fast as he was, I could feel he had some tension making some of the curves that went left and I was leaning as far as I could to help him, even though he says I should not lean I don't think the bike would have made the turns so well had I not helped. I need to take the bike in soon for its 600 mile service and will talk with the dealer about the alignment. In the meantime I may try to check the toe-in on the bike myself.

Quote Originally Posted by JJW SpyderRider View Post
    Has your husband rode your Spyder and been able to ride without issue? If so, You might just need more seat time. Don't take the dealers word that the born date 100% guaranties you don't have a problem with the ball joints or alignment. My first Spyder was not on the list but was indeed in need of the recall.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Kwalker5, I am a new Spyder ryder myself. I have a 2013 Spyder RT Limited and have never, ever driven a bike before in my life. I am 62 years old (female) and bought my bike the end of May 2013 and did not even have a drivers permit to drive it home as the salesman had to drive it home for me and I drove him back to the shop in my car. I also went to a Basic Motorcycle Drivers course which I highly recommend. Like I said that I have never driven a bike before so I knew the course would be difficult for me with the gear shifting and clutching and it was. I informed the instructors that I would never be driving a 2-wheeler and explained what I had already bought so they helped me out a lot. My husband drove my bike up to the course the last day so I could show it off and the students now understood why I was having the issues with the changing of gears and clutching. My bike is semi-automatic so I don't have to clutch at all. I still don't have a whole lot of miles on my bike yet but I do get out and ride just about every day except when it is raining which it has been doing that a lot lately. Listen to what everyone says on theses boards and heed what they say. I still have issues with driving more that 45mph and cornering but it will come with time. (My ball joints and the stabilizer bar needs to be changed out as there was a recall on that and was not done before I bought the bike) Get out and ride, ride and ride some more.. Too bad we don't live closer together as we could go out and ride together and get more comfortable with our bikes. I bought mine as an impulse buy (kind of an expensive buy but don't regret it at all.) If you get stressed so badly you will not be able to ride and enjoy the bike. I don't get stressed but I do have a death grip on the handlebar and throttle and my hand goes numb but, am trying to relax more. I did buy some fingerless gloves and have helped a bit with that. But you need to get out and ride, ride and ride some more like I said. Good luck to you!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

KWalker be sure to have your dealer check on the shocks on your Spyder. And PamT lose the death grip or it could be the death of you. Seriously, relax the grip and the ride will be much more enjoyable.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

My husband has driven the spyder and at first said there was something wrong with the alignment, now he has gotten more used to it and it doesn't seem to phase him. He has more time on motorcycles, ATV's and snowmobiles and I think because of his crazy speed infatuation on all motorized vehicles he has driven, things like that just don't bother him. He would go extremely fast on ATV's even though they do not corner well, (much like my spyder) and make the ass end slide around that is not fun to me. That did not scare him, it scared me. I rode on the back of the spyder with him last Sunday and he scared the crap out of me going as fast as he was, I could feel he had some tension making some of the curves that went left and I was leaning as far as I could to help him, even though he says I should not lean I don't think the bike would have made the turns so well had I not helped. I need to take the bike in soon for its 600 mile service and will talk with the dealer about the alignment. In the meantime I may try to check the toe-in on the bike myself.
    First off, what SpyderAnn01 said. Maybe the shocks are funky and need to be replaced, maybe they need to be tightened up a notch or two.

Second, with speed in tight corners, the Spyder's rear tire will not slide around. Nanny will not allow it. The engine will chug down to bring the back tire back in line with the front tires.

Third, as a passenger you did the right thing by leaning. Hubby would find a big difference if you didn't.

Most importantly, ride your own ride. Ride within your comfort zone no matter what anybody else says.

You are the captain of your ship.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

Are your front tires filled to very nearly the same pressure?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Spyder Garage

from all the post ive read the thing about.corning in a sertin direaction points to the shocks,every one that posted the shocks were replaced fixed that corning proulbem.,that looks like the most likely thing wrong.

Spyder Garage

Default How are you doing now?

Just wondering, how you and the Spyder are getting along?