Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default No more heat to my right leg

I use black cardboard paper to cover the right hand side panel which is the space where the hot air blow to your right leg .I installed a 5.6 " spal fan right on the spyder web to blow out all the hot air . So don't get over heat on the engine .

Spyder Garage

Default Re: No more heat to my right leg

Joelin,

Do you have any pictures?
    my get's really hot! this might also help me, would like to see how you did it :bigthumbsup:

pzim

Spyder Garage

Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Spyder Garage

On that subject....inside the radiator cover, you'll see a scoop directing the air up and out towards the openning. A closer look, you notice the scoop doesn't go all the way to the bottom and there's a 2" gap between the scoop and the cowl body. I plan to go to Lowes and buy a small square of 3/32" plexiglass and attach it to the scoop to extend it to the cowl. Rivits will be used as the permanent attachment. This will direct 95% of the air up and out of the cowl. It should work.

I also wrapped my exhaust pipe along the left side from the header to the crossover with fiberglass wrap. Simple job, and cut the left side heat down by 80%.

Will take pictures when I remove the covers again.
    Happy Owner
    Chances are the referenced post is positive in nature, may result in a solution, alteration, modification, or highlights an extraordinary event or ride, that's worth posting.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pzim
    Joelin,

Do you have any pictures?
    my get's really hot! this might also help me, would like to see how you did it :bigthumbsup:

pzim
    Can anybody tell me how to post pictures ?

Spyder Garage

You need to upload your pictures from your computer to a picture hosting site like PhotoBucket. Then you link to your pictures on the picture hosting site in your posts here. For future reference, the same process can work on many other forums.

Here is a link to some picture instruction I posted on SpyderLovers before.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Looks like a good idea. I have noticed the heat coming through that gap, and had thought about redirecting it to the outside vent hole. I think I will try some kraft foam glued in there.

The extra fan is pretty inconspicuous behind the Kewlmetal web. Nicely done. Did you say where you powered the fan from, and whether it is thermostatically controlled. That is one area that simple programming could cure. The Spyder fan comes on at too high of a temperature, IMO, and shuts off at apparently the same setting. If it came on sooner, as Ken at Evoluzione has done, and stayed on longer, it would help. I also think they should program it to run a while after you shut the Spyder down, like a car, but they probably worry about the battery voltage, which seems to be crucial.
    -Scotty
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

My $0.02 here ;D There are thermostats in the market (automotive, I think) that will strap to a radiator hose and use that heat as the on/off parameter. I've seen them on other bikes and will keep an eye out for them as I surf.

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy
    Looks like a good idea. I have noticed the heat coming through that gap, and had thought about redirecting it to the outside vent hole. I think I will try some kraft foam glued in there.

The extra fan is pretty inconspicuous behind the Kewlmetal web. Nicely done. Did you say where you powered the fan from, and whether it is thermostatically controlled. That is one area that simple programming could cure. The Spyder fan comes on at too high of a temperature, IMO, and shuts off at apparently the same setting. If it came on sooner, as Ken at Evoluzione has done, and stayed on longer, it would help. I also think they should program it to run a while after you shut the Spyder down, like a car, but they probably worry about the battery voltage, which seems to be crucial.
    -Scotty
    ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

looks like a pretty good idea... I'm waiting for Ken to have his fan mod available... but the heat isn't that bad for me.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Twodog185
    I also wrapped my exhaust pipe along the left side from the header to the crossover with fiberglass wrap. Simple job, and cut the left side heat down by 80%.

Will take pictures when I remove the covers again.
    I also wrapped my exhaust pipe on the left side today. I started looking up some stuff about this exhaust wrap (which I should have before wrapping) and found a lot about rust being accelerated on the pipe wrapped. I've read that water gets soaked into the wrap easily and this causes the rust acceleration. I did use the heat spray but I have find a way to cover the rest of the engine while spraying to apply a more protective coat. Do any of the pros have any thoughts on this rust matter? The heat is definitely is down on the left side! I was thinking about also wrapping the other side. However, if this rust acceleration is true, I may have to rethink this exhaust wrap.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy

-Scotty
    I used 12 v outlet for the power . But need to change to 5 amp fuse . The fan stay on all the time even you turn off your bike the fan will stay on for about 10 more seconds . I think the spyder design for 12 v outlet
    off delay for few seconds .

Spyder Garage

Joelin,

Thanks for posting the pictures! :bigthumbsup:
    Very helpful, Will try it on my

Thanks
    PZIM

Spyder Garage

That may help drop the motor heat too. :bigthumbsup:

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster
    That may help drop the motor heat too. :bigthumbsup:
    The fan sure should.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Last weekend I went ahead and put on the DEI heat Wrap. Both left and right sides. It looked kind of funny when I ran the bike for the next two rides. At stop lights my bike would eminate smoke like a bad cigarette. It was "Seasoning" the wrap! (I had dipped the wrap in water as the instructions say to make a tighter wrap.)

The heat is lower. I think extending the air scoop to completely cover the fan output is a good way to go. I would favor a flexable plastic as it wont tear up or fall apart like cardboard.

Idea: Craft stores sell thin plastic (about the thinkness of the cardboard on the back of a pad of papper). Spray this flat black and install with pop rivets. I doubt the heat is so high as to melt it, but it may be worth using a heat temp gun to measure it.
    RT-S # 352; Timeless Black... faster than any other color. Mods: EasternBeaver PC8 Fuse Box, 12v digital dashboard display, RearTrunk internal Lights.
    Pioneer XMP3 hardwired, KewlMetal highway foot rests, PolkAudio Speaker upgrades (dxi525 & dxi400), Custom Garmin Nuvi bracket and wiring, Panel Savers, Custom LED array third brake light and rear signal LED's. Custom mud flap lights. Daytime Running Lights (3wattsx6). Heated Corbin seat with 'Lamonster' cut. JBL 400watt Amp,
    Other secret mods.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

i did not do the plastic with the rivets to shield the heat, but i did do the DEI exhaust wrap. what a world of difference! heres the product i bought, what a time saver!

http://www.deicycle.com/Black_Motorc...licone_Coating

Sopeher ---------> of your final plastic install... thats a great idea, just wanna see how it looks.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by joelin View Post

I'm not trying to be negative, but for idle & slow speed riding (where heat seems to be a problem) the spyder web grille and the 2nd fan might be blocking more air from the primary fan then your moving with the second fan. On that type of fan design, the most volume of air is on the tips of the blades and almost no air in the center. Looks at best you might be using only 40-50% of the fan's capability since the remaining blades are cavitating up against the shroud. The center of the fan is just blocking the opening at this point. Once the primary fan starts, the high pressure area from the primary fan will easily find it's way out of the opening.

We run into the same exact heat problems in the fuselage with the scale model helicopters. You might be much better off installing that fan on the engine compartment to move ambient air from around the engine and exhaust pipes.

Just my 2cents!
    Last edited by IdleUp; 07-08-2008 at 02:42 PM.
    Military Drone Designer & Pilot
    www.rotory.com

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdleUp View Post
    I'm not trying to be negative, but for idle & slow speed riding (where heat seems to be a problem) the spyder web grille and the 2nd fan might be blocking more air from the primary fan then your moving with the second fan. On that type of fan design, the most volume of air is on the tips of the blades and almost no air in the center. Looks at best you might be using only 40-50% of the fan's capability since the remaining blades are cavitating up against the shroud. The center of the fan is just blocking the opening at this point. Once the primary fan starts, the high pressure area from the primary fan will easily find it's way out of the opening.

We run into the same exact heat problems in the fuselage with the scale model helicopters. You might be much better off installing that fan on the engine compartment to move ambient air from around the engine and exhaust pipes.

Just my 2cents!
    the fan on the picture was 6.5 " It was too big . I installed new one is 5.6" . it fit right on the center of the web . I add one switch for the fan . when I was riding in the traffic at 96 to 103 F I turn on the fan the temperature bar never over 5 bar . the heat to my leg was gone right away .

Spyder Garage

Has BRP ever addressed any of the heat issues yet?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by theRED1 View Post
    I also wrapped my exhaust pipe on the left side today. I started looking up some stuff about this exhaust wrap (which I should have before wrapping) and found a lot about rust being accelerated on the pipe wrapped. I've read that water gets soaked into the wrap easily and this causes the rust acceleration. I did use the heat spray but I have find a way to cover the rest of the engine while spraying to apply a more protective coat. Do any of the pros have any thoughts on this rust matter? The heat is definitely is down on the left side! I was thinking about also wrapping the other side. However, if this rust acceleration is true, I may have to rethink this exhaust wrap.
    Folks out there, correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the entire Spyder exhaust system is made of Stainless Steel. No issue with rust.
    I'm considering the idea of mounting a second smaller fan to the front of the Radiator. The only hurdle is figuring out the best way to mount it.

Spyder Garage

I'm looking for a small fan for the oil cooler - that would accomplish two things - draw heat from the core of the engine by cooling the oil and secondly move air from around the engine and header pipe area.

So far I have not found a small fan at my local parts houses.
    Military Drone Designer & Pilot
    www.rotory.com

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NVR2L8 View Post
    Folks out there, correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the entire Spyder exhaust system is made of Stainless Steel. No issue with rust.
    Corrosion isn't the only issue with wrapping your pipes. The other question is deterioration from excessive heat. Unwrapped pipes are cooled by air flowing over them -- that's why you feel the heat. When you wrap them, you keep all that heat in the pipe.

This isn't a problem if the pipe is designed to hold all the heat (usually fabricated from tubing with thicker walls). For the Spyder, you will almost certainly cause accelerated wear on the pipes. How much accelerated is yet to be determined.

For many, an early demise of their exhaust pipes and the associated cost of replacement is an acceptable trade off to eliminate the perceived excessive heat. Personally, I don't find the Spyder to be hotter than any other motorcycle I've ever owned. Once it gets above 90 degrees F it's just plain HOT on any bike! But then again, I don't ride much in stop-and-go traffic...

Regards,

Mark

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdleUp View Post
    I'm looking for a small fan for the oil cooler - that would accomplish two things - draw heat from the core of the engine by cooling the oil and secondly move air from around the engine and header pipe area.

So far I have not found a small fan at my local parts houses.
    check with this www.spalusa.com all made in italy

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jimjel View Post
    Has BRP ever addressed any of the heat issues yet?
    I did. They said that the tech will look at it when I take the bike for service. But a lot of people have simply look for a work around and have not reported the issue. I think is a poor design and must be addressed by BRP. They are pretty good in taking responsibility but people NEED to report the issue...