Spyder Garage

Default Spyders "Not Afraid of the Dark" Ryde

UPDATE: SEE POST #7 FOR DETAILS ABOUT THIS EVENT!

So far, we have been blessed with a truly magnificent summer...so much as to distract from organizing any rides...WELL NO MORE! I am planning a group ride around Mount St. Helens with a stop at the nationally famous APE CAVES near Cougar, WA. The target date is Saturday, August 24th - and it will be a full day's ride along with a modest hike requiring boots, flashlights, and warm clothing. So if you are interested in paricipating, please post and I will provide further details in the coming days...
    Last edited by wukka; 08-02-2013 at 02:06 AM.

Where I've been on my Spyder...

Spyder Garage

Default Syders like the dark so should we

This sounds like fun I'm penciling it in

[

Spyder Garage

We have been planning to do the same ride for this summer,we can wait till the 24th
    Absorb what is useful, use no limitation as limitation

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Do spyders glow in the Dark?

Sounds fun I'm in..Just say when and where?

Quote Originally Posted by wukka View Post
    So far, we have been blessed with a truly magnificent summer...so much as to distract from organizing any rides...WELL NO MORE! I am planning a group ride around Mount St. Helens with a stop at the nationally famous APE CAVES near Cougar, WA. The target date is Saturday, August 24th - and it will be a full day's ride along with a modest hike requiring boots, flashlights, and warm clothing. So if you are interested in paricipating, please post and I will provide further details in the coming days...

Spyder Garage

Lauren and I would be up for this - we'll be coming off of three weekends of no riding and rarin' for something nice and long and twisty!

Spyder Garage

Default Not Afraid of the Dark Ryde

Sounds like Great Fun !! Wish I were there! But still in Vietnam...

Give BMWLarry a shout and a few others in and around Portland Or.

I wish you great weather and a safe adventurist journey
    If it Feels Good, Do It !!

Too Much Is Just Enough !
    2011 RS~S Pure Magnesium / Black ~M~

Spyder Garage

Default HERE ARE THE DETAILS!

Spyders "Not Afraid Of The Dark" Ryde

Looking for a day-long ryding adventure this summer? Well, look no further!

On Saturday, August 24th, Spyder Owners and Friends can join in on a ryde to the APE CAVES near Cougar, WA. This is on the SOUTH side of Mount St. Helens, and covers some of the most beautiful twisty roads you can find.

Since this is entirely in the southern region of the state (in Pierce/Lewis/Thurston Counties), we will START our journey at Bruno's Restaurant in Eatonville, WA. (204 Center St E, Eatonville, WA. www.eatbrunos.com) Please be there by 8:30AM. They serve a fine breakfast there and the doors open at 7AM on the weekends, so arrive early if you want to fill your belly.

TRIP TO THE CAVES:

We will have a pre-ride meeting by 8:45AM, and will be rolling out at 9:00 AM. From there we will head south to Morton (Hwy 7), East to Randle (Hwy 12), then south again on Forest Service Road 25. From there, we head west on Hwy 90 to the Ape Caves near Cougar, WA. Total ryde time is a little over 2 hours, so we'll have a quick stop in Randle to take care of business.

What you will need:

1. A Day-Use Forest Service Pass. It's $5 per vehicle, and you can pick one up in Randle when we make our pit stop. I would recommend that you purchase them in advance and online at: http://www.discovernw.org/store_nati...nly_09944.html
    2. TWO Flashlights or Battery Lanterns. One won't cut it - you NEED a backup.
    3. A Warm Shirt or Light Jacket. The inside of the cave is 42 degrees year-round, and you are in there long enough to feel the chill.
    4. Good Hiking Shoes or Boots. The floor of the cave is abrasive lava rock, which can do a number on your flip-flops.
    5. Some Snacks and Drinking Water. We will be arriving at the caves right around lunch time, and you WILL get hungry after exploring the caves for an hour or two.

Information on the Ape Caves:
    http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/mount...a/?recid=40393

*** PLEASE NOTE THAT NO PETS ARE ALLOWED INSIDE THE APE CAVES ***

RETURN TRIP:

For our return trip, we'll head into Cougar, WA to top off our tanks, then we will head back east on Hwy 90, north on Forest Service Road 25, and another quick stop in Randle. From there, we will head EAST from on Hwy 12, then North on Hwy 123 to Cayuse Pass. Then it's back west on Hwy 410 to Clem's in Enumclaw. Total distance for the return trip is 144 miles, and about 3.5 hours.

Please post if you are interested in joining in this ride...And let me know if you have ANY questions!

See you then.

Where I've been on my Spyder...

GoodJuJu

Default Nice Ride!

We can't make that weekend, but wanted to say we did that ride last Fall and it was wonderful! Bring a bright, strong flashlight or headlamp if you go into Ape Cave. Basic (inexpensive) headlamps didn't cut through much of the dark. Have fun!