Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default OIL CHANGE, that will be $$$.$$

Good evening All,

How much is one expected to pay for an oil change from a dealer ?

Dom

Spyder Garage

No matter what you do with your Spyder or Can Am you will have to pay a large fee. I've not done it at a dealer and I more than likely will not. I will be changing to AMSOIL here on my next change. What bike you have? Most seem to be simple.

Spyder Garage

My dealer charged me slightly over 200. The labor rate was 95/hr at 1.5 hours. I will prolly change my own next time.
    17 F3 Limited (Pearl White), Sena 10C intercom, X Grip iPhone mount, IPS key, spyder to go cup holder, Lamonster Highway Center Lane, TricLED engine lights, TricLED night rider, LS2 Helmets, Lamonster Bypass pipe, 2 Brothers Exhaust, mirror relocator kit, Bluetooth radio module, OEM Backrest, Rear LED Light Kit

2017 F3-T , Pearl White

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Buy your parts from Bajaron and obtain whatever oil you wish. I chose Amsoil. Do it yourself and you will have less than $100 into it and the satisfaction that it is done right. The dealers near me didn't know to check the strainer. Good luck. This site offers support to get through your first oil change, and other minor maintenance work.

Spyder Garage

bajaron for filters, shell T6 rotela oil. used it in Honda, meanstreak and now my rt, never looked back, $5 a quart ful synthetic at auto zone or walmart

Spyder Garage

Default I just got quotes today

One dealer quoted 140.00, while the second quoted 225.00....
    2016 F3T SE Pearl White
    Purple powder coated wheels
    Performance sway bar
    LED headlights and fog lights
    Short Reach handlebars
    2010 RT A/C SE traded in

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by poordom View Post
    Good evening All,

Dom
    It's like real estate! Location, location location of the dealer in this instance will determine $

Spyder Garage

Default Gotta say..!!

oil changes are expensive on these roadsters. At least at the dealers with high labor rates. I get the kits for our RS at $66.00 online which has the filter, o-ring, two crush washers a gallon+1Qt brp semi-synthetic oil. Even at that add the $95.00 (per hour) labor rate and your at $161.00. This is the sm5 with only the engine oil filter. This could be less using non brp products...no jiffy lube for roadsters..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Oil change costs

Quote Originally Posted by poordom View Post
    Good evening All,

Dom
    Had the Dealer in Fort Myers Florida want over 400.00 to do an oil change on my 2012 RT, this is totally ridiculous ! Can't Can-Am adjust this ?

Spyder Garage

Western WI they get about $240 for oil change. The dealer I went to did more than just change oil though. They always update BUD's, change oil, and trans filter if part of maintenance required, always adjust belt tension, check the brakes, coolant, air filter, fuel filter, ext. Flat rate 240 but sometimes the actual hrs could come in less, some times actual hrs could be more. All washes out at the end. At least that way there were no surprises as to what my bill was.
    Last edited by Fusionfool; 07-25-2013 at 03:54 AM.
    2012 RT Limited: Utopia back rest, SealBoards, and Shark bluetooth communicators on VCAN Woody helmets.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by johnwinslow View Post
    bajaron for filters, shell T6 rotela oil. used it in Honda, meanstreak and now my rt, never looked back, $5 a quart ful synthetic at auto zone or walmart
    John, about every time that Rotella is mentioned one or more folks say it can cause clutch slipping, and way back I believe someone said it DID cause slipping. I'm a fan of Rotella also but haven't used because of this. Just curious as to how many miles you've put on yours with that oil?
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My dealer tells me 1/2 hour labor for a simple oil-change. So with the $66 kit off the shelf, that would be $106. But I've never done this yet... first change was at the 600 mile service, second at the 4,600 mile service, for around $265 each time at their $80/hour labor charge. Both were the standard "services" called for in the manual.
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My dealer charges just under $115 bucks for an oil change...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jgallo77 View Post
    Had the Dealer in Fort Myers Florida want over 400.00 to do an oil change on my 2012 RT, this is totally ridiculous ! Can't Can-Am adjust this ?
    Can Am doesn't have control over the dealer service departments. It's like car dealers, I took my car in for the first oil change (it was new) and also ask them to rotate the tires, 98.00 dollars! I couldn't believe it, they said the oil was special and I told them I wasn't stupid. The next oil changes have been at an independent garage, the last one with tire rotation was, 36.00 dollars. (when tires are bought from this business you get free rotation for life). Point being, shop around and do what you can yourself. On my Spyder I change my oil and do minor adjustments, belt etc.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SM OIL ? ? ?

Quote Originally Posted by johnwinslow View Post
    John, I may be mis-taken but the last time I checked T6 Rotella is an " SM " oil...........and that's a NO NO ................Mike .....If you want to save MONEY on oil changes PENNZOIL PLATINUM PLUS is Full Syn and about $25 at Walmart......just sayin...annnnnnd it's not " SM "
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 07-24-2013 at 08:17 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default Oil Change Cost

Dealer in this area charged $275.00 for oil change on RT-S.
    Reese
    2010 RT-S SE5 Orbital Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    oil changes are expensive on these roadsters. At least at the dealers with high labor rates. I get the kits for our RS at $66.00 online which has the filter, o-ring, two crush washers a gallon+1Qt brp semi-synthetic oil. Even at that add the $95.00 (per hour) labor rate and your at $161.00. This is the sm5 with only the engine oil filter. This could be less using non brp products...no jiffy lube for roadsters..!!
    +1....I buy the kits as well and do the oil change myself. Changing oil in the Spyder is easier than doing it on the car. The oil change kits make it simple and just flat out work...no reason to over think an oil change. I'm not one to experiment with different oils when the recommended kit is as inexpensive as it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    My dealer charges just under $115 bucks for an oil change...
    That's close to what I paid just for materials when I did my own oil change at 4600 miles. 6 qts of oil (to have some extra), and the filter "kit" was $95.

600 mile service was about $260
    9600 mile service was around the same...

I guess the 14,000 one is the biggie Somewhere around $750.

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I do my own but I don't enjoy it. Laying on the ground with the bugs and little stones. Agh! I buy the oil and the crankcase filter. washers, and o-rings from BajaRon. The tranny filter is OEM and not available on the outside yet. Here's a tip, buy your oil now. You can always take it to the dealer with you. Oh, and btw, any REPUTABLE bike shop can change the oil. It doesn't need be a BRP dealer. Especially when the nearest dealer is a half hour away and the nearest bike shop is two minutes as in my case. I can't check the BUDS or belt at home, neither can they.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    States visited on the Spyder.
    And if we live life without a passion, then we're not living.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Oil Change and Service

My dealer sales his own service program called Pre Paid Maintenance (PPM). This is a set contract that extends through the entire maintenance as recommended by BRP. It covers all labor, and oil and filters along with all the labor involved with inspections, corrections, Service Bulletins, Recalls, etc. It is steep up front, nearing $2,000, but it is well worth it when stretched out over three years. Of course it is good only at his dealerships.

Spyder Garage

My dealer said would run about $200 plus parts for the first one. I'm gonna have them do the first one just to make sure everything is ok and the big one at 14,000 which will be years from now, other then that I'm more then capable of doing all the others

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by unclejay View Post
    If te BRP kits contain semi-synthetic, it is the wrong oil. Amsoil for me. You can get the kits minus oil on eBay
    Please enlighten us with some factual documentation that the BRP oil, with the BRP label, in the BRP box, mentioned in the BRP manual, sold by the BRP dealer, is the "wrong oil" in a BRP product.

Spyder Garage

Default 09 RS Oil Change

$188.00 w/ tax at the dealership. That's why I called Ron.
    Last edited by mooneych; 07-24-2013 at 01:04 PM. Reason: added comment

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by StanProff View Post
    Can Am doesn't have control over the dealer service departments. It's like car dealers, I took my car in for the first oil change (it was new) and also ask them to rotate the tires, 98.00 dollars! I couldn't believe it, they said the oil was special and I told them I wasn't stupid. The next oil changes have been at an independent garage, the last one with tire rotation was, 36.00 dollars. (when tires are bought from this business you get free rotation for life). Point being, shop around and do what you can yourself. On my Spyder I change my oil and do minor adjustments, belt etc.
    What kind of oil ???
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

If you have the dealer perform an oil change service--most experience the $250-$300 price range. My dealer currently charges $110 per hour. The $250 plus for an oil change scarred me the first time, as I had never owned a vehicle where the upkeep was so expensive.

The 14,000 mile service has to do with valve check and adjustments. Many people let the first one go because most have found no need at that point. That service adds about $800 to whatever else you are having done. I had my last valve check at 28,000 and nothing needed to be done. The mechanic failed to put a new gasket in and that led to an oil leak. The dealer fixed that issue and did not charge me for parts or labor to undo the mistake. When it comes to valve check--you decide what to do though.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red