Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 2000+ Mile Trip... the Good and the Bad and the Ugly... 2012 RT SE5 Ltd

Just got in from Colorado-Wyoming-Montana-South Dakota trip... we rode just over 2,000 miles.

Average gas mileage 31.47mpg. Highest was 40.4 and lowest was 23.9mpg. While the average was good... the lowest mpg's came at the worst possible time when gas stations were hard to find. There was one unexplained time when the gas needle dropped like a rock from full to below the 3/4 mark in just 41 miles... and they weren't climbing miles! And, yes, I fill the tank the same way every time and visually check the level... which is NOT topped off to the fill hole!

The good:
    My 2012 RT hit 11,000 miles on odometer while on the trip and all went extremely well even though I was expecting trouble based on all the things I've been hearing on SpyderLovers (oil leaks, water pump leaks, etc.). I'd like to report something good.

BajaRon's anti-sway bar was a dream. It tamed even the Beartooth Pass and the Needles. Highway crosswinds and huge passing trucks were barely felt. Huge improvement over the stock bar.

My riding friends rode Harleys and the Spyder easily kept up... and I did not long for my Roadking once during the trip.

The not so good:
    My Texas dealer install a new rear tire for the trip and apparently remounted the wheel incorrectly. It left me with a dragging rear brake which probably accounted some poor Mpg's and it made my rear rotor extremely hot. The Can-Am dealer in Billings MT fixed the problem while I waited! (That would never happen in Dallas area!). Further... the Billings dealer would not accept payment for the fix. HUGE shout out to them!!!

The bad and dangerous:
    On a routine gas stop... with approximately 1.5 gallons left in my tank... I removed the gas cap without incident... no pressure release of any kind. No sounds. No pressure left in tank. As soon as the fresh gas started pumping into the tank, there was an explosive blowback of fumes AND liquid gasoline. Explosive... Sprayed all over me, my clothes and the Spyder. I stopped. Thinking it might have been the gas pump giving out of fuel... I tried again... slowly. Again, an explosive blowback of the liquid gasoline and fumes. (I remembered the posts on "boiling gas" and figured this is what it is!). The tank finally settled down and I got it filled. This did not happen again on the trip... but IT IS A VERY DANGEROUS EVENT and I cannot explain it as of now. Why just then? Riding was normal... bike was not hot... etc.

Anyone have any ideas about this gas thing?

All in all, except as described above, the Spyder performed well.

TexGEOas
    Argyle, TX
    2012 RTS SE5 Limited

Spyder Garage

Glad you experienced a trip without a lot of issues. The shop in Montana deserves kudos. That is the way it should be--but who does that any more?

RE: The gas issue--that is very scarry to me. I am glad another BBQ incident did not start again. A good reminder to not smoke or be around those who are, when refilling the It seems to be only a matter of time before something bad happens, and I don't think that will be good for the brand.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 07-23-2013 at 03:17 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks for posting and sounded like a good trip.

Spyder Garage

On my last trip driving in hot weather. When I would fuel up, I had to slowly fill the tank at first. It would act as if it was full. Then I could fill it a little faster.

Spyder Garage

Default Great news..!!

your home safe and sound. Sorry about the tire/brake incident. The gas has happened to me. The good thing here in CA the pump nozzles have a cover on them so mostly it would click off even when pumping slow (which I always do). Had to wait a bit then all worked fine. Conclusion when really hot out don't run down to the warning level. I will refill at half tank if possible. Still sounds like a great trip...!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default 2500 mile trip no mechanical issues BUT! comfort issues.

Our RT is new, I had only 1800 miles on it prior to our trip. Yes it was serviced per manual break in and such. I averaged 30 MPG. Our trip was from home in central New York State through Pa. Md. WVa. Tenn. NC. Kentucky and a loop home. We road the Tail of the Dragon both directions. Not a hoot on three wheels. Who ever did the driver seat lay out never rode it long distance after the design. The limited leg position is poor for a long day in saddle. Our first day out was 485 miles, over half in bad rain. Those deflectors in front of your feel work well to keep feet protected in all but the most driving rain but although I was told they could serve as a light foot rest, that does not work well. They are angled back and slope down. There is no surface texture therefore the feet slide back and off. So far I've only found one aftermarket leg extension which the description leaves a lot to be desired for such an expensive set up. Has anyone found and installed foot extenders? Thoughts on them! My unit is the Paddle shift therefore no clutch or foot shifters to consider.

Spyder Garage

Default Highway Pegs

I found on our trip to DC that in certain situations highway pegs would be nice. I've looked at several and have pretty much decided when I take the plunge to go with Lamont's. The price is reasonable and after looking at his instructions I think I can handle the install. So getting pennies saved for that addition.

Ride safe,
    Curt Givens KC8STE
    Dayton, OH - Home of Hamvention
    MOLON LABE
    2012 Viper Red RT-S
    Center tail/brake light
    Mud flap run/ts
    Fender bright sides
    LED Tip lights
    Rivco Flag holder on trunk
    BRP Hitch
    Piggybacker XL Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Since my my wife Pam has purchased her Spyder I have been reading a lot here to help her with questions that she might have.

What is this whole boiling gas issue that I've seen mentioned all about?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad you had a good trip. That is awesome about the dealer hooking you up. I did. Similar trip last weekend and I Lso turned 11000 miles on my 2013. My gas mileage wAs awful I would have been thrilled to get 25 mpg! That's one reason I dropped it at the shop today.

I have also had the gas blow out at me when filling but my tank was half full at the time. I don't have the problem with an empty tank.

They are several options for legs and floor boards but I don't recommend using the mud flaps as legs. You will be buying new flaps in no time
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rich_t View Post
    Since my my wife Pam has purchased her Spyder I have been reading a lot here to help her with questions that she might have.

What is this whole boiling gas issue that I've seen mentioned all about?
    I've never had the boiling gas issue on my Spyder. I have experienced gas blow back on cars before when the gas coming out of the tanks (from the ground) is cool and it hits the warm/hot gas in the car tank and takes forever to fill the tank. With the Spyder being hotter along with some motorcycles, this could be the cause. Fill very slowly till the temp. equilizes. Just my thoughts.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

Default great ride

i'm glad you had a great ride i'm looking forward to our first, but for now i am frackaling the trik.. first if you are handy, on the foot pegs i would make your own there are plenty of samples out there. lighting the same cup holders the same and the list goes on here are my foot rest, the style of some on the net integrated to mine i used 3/16 diamond plat and made my own slight changes.

i also started painting the bike

ive got an assistant

here is the paint i'm using auto air colors

i found the location for the trailer connection so next is making my own trailer
    http://www.gadgetjq.com/trailer.htm
    Rick11Flor practicing for retirement. Everyday is a new day and I try to live it to the max.
    We (DW and I) travel to distant lands three or more months per year now looking for a Outlaw to take the Spyder along.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

reading this just fuels the fire to get on the road. We are planning a trip to Colorado and doing some camping, some cabins, some what ever we find.

Cant' wait for our turn.... Though everything we have is stock.. even the RT-622..

Thanks for the motivation..

hobbicam..

Spyder Garage

I use the Auto-Air colors with great results. I like the ease of cleanup and it goes on very easy too. Wife's Vino 125 pict below.

J. D.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TexasSpyder; 07-24-2013 at 05:17 AM.
    2016 F3T Magnesium Metalic : Smooth Spyder Dual Backrest, Lamonster LED Head lights and Fog lights

Spyder Garage

Default To answer the ? "who does that any more?"

[QUOTE=akspyderman;661033]Glad you experienced a trip without a lot of issues. The shop in Montana deserves kudos. That is the way it should be--but who does that any more?

I had a similar experience at the Billings dealership Summer 2011. Have had similar experiences at Len's Pitbull Powersports/Springfield, Mo. also in Madison, TN...Gillette WY...now I know this would lead you to believe that I have a problematic RT...NOT TRUE. Had a tech error that the NE dealership was making right...unfortunately I was a long way from them and dealers along the way "fixed" the problems...so all this said to say there are plenty of dealerships that go the EXTRA MILE for customer service. And I for one am very grateful.
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

I have had the tank be pressured once when riding in hot weather and very low on gas, but when I finally let the pressure out I was able to fill it ok. The only thing I can think of is that the tank had a very hot, hot spot from the exhaust and the new gas hit that going in and vaporized. the gas in the tank was below this level and as long as you were moving the tank was able to keep cooler. When you stopped for gas the exhaust was able to heat the tank. Glad nothing else happened while filling. I had some nut latch the gas pump on full and when you grab the nozzle and flip the pump on gas shot out the nozzle, I now check every time to make sure the nozzle is off.

2014 RT Limited Cognac ----- Wraps, skid plate, lights, Elkas
    2002 harley ultra classic
    2008 hayabusa

Spyder Garage

Default MPG on trip - your input please

Hello, I am glad you had a great trip -- what caught my eye was your fuel economy....

I too have a Spyder RT Limited. We rode from St. Paul, MN to Rapid City, SD ....total with riding through the Black Hills of about a 1500 mile trip. My gas mileage was terrrible and I had some vibration issues.

Would you please tell me what speeds, rpm's and gears you used. I used 5th gear for 75-80 MPH on the SD interstate, but saw on the forum, maybe I should have used 4th gear???

My MPG ranged from 20 - 25 MPG -- very disappointing. I am yet to get over 32 MPG at any time, even when going 55 MPH on local roads.

Do you keep your RPM's high (5000-6000 rpm range) to get better mileage???

I am very frustrated with just two issues on my new Spyder (has about 4600 miles on it now).
    1. Vibration issues going up small grades on the interstate or highways when speed control is set. I've had it at the dealer, did some adjustments, just made it worse.
    2. MPG - I was expecting on our trip at least 30MPG. I had absolutely no wind issues to contend with.....

Your input would be appreciated so I can understand how you are getting this better mileage -- I am a relatively conservative driver (retired) and don't "race" this machine -- was hoping for better mileage.....

Thanks! Happy and safe ridin'
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=murphybrown;661292]
    Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Glad you experienced a trip without a lot of issues. The shop in Montana deserves kudos. That is the way it should be--but who does that any more?

I had a similar experience at the Billings dealership Summer 2011. Have had similar experiences at Len's Pitbull Powersports/Springfield, Mo. also in Madison, TN...Gillette WY...now I know this would lead you to believe that I have a problematic RT...NOT TRUE. Had a tech error that the NE dealership was making right...unfortunately I was a long way from them and dealers along the way "fixed" the problems...so all this said to say there are plenty of dealerships that go the EXTRA MILE for customer service. And I for one am very grateful.
    I guess I should have said "Not to many dealers do that any more". Glad you added some additional dealers to the mix that are willing to take care of travelers who have breakdowns on the trip. I knew they were out there. We do hear of to many that treat you differently though. As in we wont have an opening for a couple days, we'll get to it when we can, etc.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 07-24-2013 at 01:23 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CurtG View Post
    I found on our trip to DC that in certain situations highway pegs would be nice. I've looked at several and have pretty much decided when I take the plunge to go with Lamont's. The price is reasonable and after looking at his instructions I think I can handle the install. So getting pennies saved for that addition.

Ride safe,
    I have these and agree

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JLSpyder2012 View Post
    Hello, I am glad you had a great trip -- what caught my eye was your fuel economy....
    Do you keep your RPM's high (5000-6000 rpm range) to get better mileage???

I am very frustrated with just two issues on my new Spyder (has about 4600 miles on it now).
    1. Vibration issues going up small grades on the interstate or highways when speed control is set. I've had it at the dealer, did some adjustments, just made it worse.
    2. MPG - I was expecting on our trip at least 30MPG. I had absolutely no wind issues to contend with.....

Your input would be appreciated so I can understand how you are getting this better mileage -- I am a relatively conservative driver (retired) and don't "race" this machine -- was hoping for better mileage.....

Thanks! Happy and safe ridin'
    Having been a Harley Road King rider for many years, I had to train myself to use the higher RPM's of the Spyder's engine after years of hearing the comfortable sound of 2000-3000rpms. My mileage improved as I got better at using the Spyder's higher RPM's. Now, I shift at 5700-6000+ depending on the terrain. Whatever gear I am in (above 1st), I try never to let it go below 4500 and usually ride it at 5000-5100. I almost never use 5th gear unless I'm on level road and am going 65mph or above. In the hills, I shift a LOT trying never to let the engine lug in the least. I also brake by sequential downshifting. Even going over the Beartooth Pass, I seldom had to tap the brakes.

I also have the VIBRATION problem you mention. Contrary to other suggestions on this forum, I am certain the vibration is coming from the drive belt. It occurs at 4200 (slight) and at 5200 (strong) and varies depending on going uphill or downhill (the load on the belt at the time). I believe this is a DESIGN FLAW (that Can_Am refuses to acknowledge) and I've just had to learn to back off the throttle a second or two to get through it. It is a real pain and they should fix it.

Happy riding...

TexGEOas
    Argyle, TX
    2012 RTS-SE5 Ltd