Thread: Overheating...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Overheating...

My ST LTD has overheated before (had her about a month) and did so again last Sunday. All occurrences (5 times) have been on hot days (between 100 and 107 degrees) but I had not been excessively pushing the Spyder. Each time, I take a pic and send it via e-mail to the mechanic at the dealership. I get it in the shop within a few days and there is never a code thrown.

I have noticed that I seem to run cooler (no heating issues) when keeping the RPMs at 6,000. I don't redline (9,000 RPM's) but used to regularly run on the freeway in the 7,000 RPMs...which seemed to lead to engine overheating. Since I have been running at 6000 RPMs, I don't seem to be overheating. I know the Spyders are sensitive to heat, but I thought i'd be able to ride at freeway speeds on a hot day without getting the dreaded engine "overheating warning".

The dealer has verified that the fan kicks on when it is supposed to (based on coolant temperature) and said he can't find another cause of overheating. Forrest (the chief mechanic at Elk Grove Powersports) has opened a ticket with BRP for the overheating issues, but i'm not sure if it is due to the ambient temps in Sacramento, California as of late, or if I have a problem that requires dealer service. I plan to take some pretty long trips on the Spyder, so any info you could suggest would be appreciated.

I rarely (if ever) use 5th gear, but have been cruising in 4th at 75-80. Now I shift to 5th at 80 and keep at 6000 rpms instead of staying in 4th and maintaining the 7000 rpms I used to. Anybody else notice a "cooler engine temp" when maintaining llower RPM at speeds? The dealer said the Rotax "Could not be hurt by extremely high RPMs" and that 7,000 should be a safe amount. Again...this is just a theory, but I seem to overheat much less since backing off the RPMs a bit. I have attached a pic of the overheating light as well...Overheating.jpg
    Last edited by Spyder Tony; 07-23-2013 at 01:06 PM.

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

When you "overheat"are you getting the P0127 or P0217 codes? There was a post last week from a BRP technician explaining the codes and "heat soak". It happens to me on my 2013 RT when the temperature shows 122 or higher. They obviously didn't build these for life in the desert.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

If the dealer has checked the cooling system and it's working then you're probably getting one of the heat "warnings".

When the intake air temps exceed a certain level it'll let you know that it doesn't like it. But it won't stop you from riding and as soon as you start moving it'll go away.

If you get a true overheat code, you'll know. It will behave differently.

That said, the 2013 ST's *are* suffering from a design flaw that is causing many heat issues that mostly come from the fact it runs too lean and isn't properly compensating for conditions.

Keep on your dealer and have them keep asking BRP for advice. I was told that BRP *is* paying for things such as wrapping pipes, adding heat tape and other temporary solutions while they come up with a real fix for the problem. But your dealer needs to run point on that and file the claim.
    tHe SmOkEr YoU dRiNk ThE pLaYeR yOu GeT!

Spyder Garage

Based on the shift points and gears you mentioned, IMO, you are overreving the . This could be leading to your heat issues.

There have been several threads with recommended shifting points and gears to use.

Recommended to shift 5000-5500. Keep the engine "happy" in the 5000 range--no matter what gear. Go to 5th at 60-65 mph or higher. Shift down a gear if you need extra power for hills or to pass.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Why not use 5th gear? I mean I understand the need to keep the RPMs up, but keep them above 5k and you should be fine.

Current Bikes:
    2018 BMW K1600 B
    2012 Spyder RT LTD - Sold
    2003 HD VRSCA (VROD)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The picture you post with 0 rpm and 0 mph and overheating indication. You can try idling for a few minute before engine off this will help the engine cools off.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

From the picture, this appears to be a programming flaw. You should not get a warning indication when the water temp gauge remains in the normal range. At six bars your fan has just barely come on. You should not get a warning until at least 8 bars. Sounds like there are some undesireable bugs in the system. It will be interesting, given BRP's recent online defense and explanation, to see if they address this in a timely fashion. False warnings lead to ignored warnings...not a good thing. Perhaps they never read The Little Boy Who Cried "Wolf".
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sny View Post
    If the dealer has checked the cooling system and it's working then you're probably getting one of the heat "warnings".

When the intake air temps exceed a certain level it'll let you know that it doesn't like it. But it won't stop you from riding and as soon as you start moving it'll go away.

If you get a true overheat code, you'll know. It will behave differently.

That said, the 2013 ST's *are* suffering from a design flaw that is causing many heat issues that mostly come from the fact it runs too lean and isn't properly compensating for conditions.

Keep on your dealer and have them keep asking BRP for advice. I was told that BRP *is* paying for things such as wrapping pipes, adding heat tape and other temporary solutions while they come up with a real fix for the problem. But your dealer needs to run point on that and file the claim.
    WOW...that would explain the lack of codes being thrown. Only once has the dealer been able to retrieve a code. I don't know how to do so myself, although I have read somewhere on the forum how to do so. NancysToys seems to be saying the same thing. Each time it has done this, I have never gone into limp mode (As I have read others have done when they overheated) so i suspect it is as SNY said and I am geting a Warning light (as in the engine is getting pretty hot) because each time I am able to start the bike and resume. As a note, I stop and let the bike cool b4 continuing my ride as I don't want to do any permanent damage.

To explain the pic...it is taken when I stopped to gas up after coming off a 20 25 mile ride. gassed up (bike sat for 10-12 mins in shade) and the Warning was present as soon as the Can-Am screen came alive.

Thanks to you all for the comments thus far...It takes a village to ride and maintain a Spyder

Spyder Garage

Sitting off might make the problem worse.

Idling for a bit before turning it off seems to help in some cases. The cooling system continues to function rather than just the fan.

There's two temp warnings, one for engine/coolant temp and one for intake air temp. The intake air temp will definitely shoot up after you shut it off and kick that light on. Riding it fixes this.

If your coolant temp was high you'd see it on the left. It's not high. 8 is high as Scotty pointed out. I don't think you're having a cooling system related problem.

It might just be a sensor. Or it's a false positive. Might be worth having the dealer take a peek.

For what it's worth, Canadians have some very different philosophies than Americans. They're every bit as smart, but have some very different ways of looking at things which result in different choices. (Was that politically neutral enough? )
    tHe SmOkEr YoU dRiNk ThE pLaYeR yOu GeT!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    When you "overheat"are you getting the P0127 or P0217 codes? There was a post last week from a BRP technician explaining the codes and "heat soak". It happens to me on my 2013 RT when the temperature shows 122 or higher. They obviously didn't build these for life in the desert.
    Here's the link to that thread:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...P0217-messages

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default UPDATE: Overheating...

Quote Originally Posted by Sny View Post
    Sitting off might make the problem worse.

Idling for a bit before turning it off seems to help in some cases. The cooling system continues to function rather than just the fan.

There's two temp warnings, one for engine/coolant temp and one for intake air temp. The intake air temp will definitely shoot up after you shut it off and kick that light on. Riding it fixes this.

If your coolant temp was high you'd see it on the left. It's not high. 8 is high as Scotty pointed out. I don't think you're having a cooling system related problem.

It might just be a sensor. Or it's a false positive. Might be worth having the dealer take a peek.

For what it's worth, Canadians have some very different philosophies than Americans. They're every bit as smart, but have some very different ways of looking at things which result in different choices. (Was that politically neutral enough? )
    You hit the nail on the head with the false positive, Sny!!!
    Just got off the phone with the dealership mechanic and as you mentioned...BRP noticed in the pic (sent a copy to the dealership repair dept, and they sent the pic to BRP) that the temp was NOT displaying as high on the left of the viewscreen so they told the dealer to replace the sensor. Forrest (mechanic at the dealer) ordered the part and will let me know when it arrives. Once it does, he will dispatch out a driver & trailer to drop off a loaner Spyder and take my Nikki back to the shop for the sensor swap.

Kudos all around...

...to the members of the forum who chimed in with information, to the dealership who got my e-mail & pic @ 11:30 and had BRP on the phone with the solution by 1:00 same day, to BRP for acting swiftly with the aforementioned solution.

I'll send update when she's back from the shop and i've had a chance to push her a bit to ensure she no longer throws the false positive.
    Last edited by Spyder Tony; 07-23-2013 at 05:53 PM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyryder View Post
    Thanks Spyryder for the Heat Soak link. I read it end-to-end and found the information VERY useful. Glad to see BRP representation on the forum as well!!!

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

My water temp gauge has never gone higher than one minute above the halfway point. I get the codes all the time. BRP was aware of this and I was told it was not a problem. I'd put money on a new sensor not making a bit if difference

2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Now I'm beginning to wonder if these sensors are mounted in their proper location. This was a frequent problem a few years back. Here's an old thread showing where it should be mounted:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ensor+location

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Now I'm beginning to wonder if these sensors are mounted in their proper location. This was a frequent problem a few years back. Here's an old thread showing where it should be mounted:

I recall that happening also but that wasn't mentioned as a probable cause by BRP to me.

2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

The water temperature sensor can only be mounted in in one place...the cylinder head.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    The water temperature sensor can only be mounted in in one place...the cylinder head.
    There are two sensors.....the other one, the one causing the problems is in the air intake.

Spyder Garage

There are two sensors.....the other one, the one causing the problems is in the air intake.
    That is the intake air temperature sensor. It gives a different fault code and warning.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    That is the intake air temperature sensor. It gives a different fault code and warning.
    We're talking about TWO codes here, one for the intake air temp PO127, and one for coolant temp PO217.

Spyder Garage

We're talking about TWO codes here, one for the intake air temp PO127, and one for coolant temp PO217.
    That is correct, but the OP had no codes and just a water temp warning, according to his post and photo. The air intake gives a different display warning.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default UPDATE: Overheating

When my bike was picked up by Elk Grove Powersports at my job this morning, the Service Manager promised the sensor causing the overheating would be fixed and my bike returned by 4 this afternoon. @ 3:00 I got a call from him saying the repair wouldn't be done until 5 but that because he promised my bike at 4, he's dispatching his driver with a loaner bike for me until mine is delivered tomorrow morning. Because they didn't have a loaner, they "created a loaner" from their sales inventory. As promised, I was delivered the yellow 2013 Spyder STS with 331 miles (of which I put half on just driving around) seen below. Just another reason I feel lucky to have a dealer who stands by their product after the sale as much as before/during. I assure you that i'm not affiliated with the dealership in any way, I just like to give a positive experience as much exposure as some of the ownership horror stories i've read.

Loaner small.JPGloaner1 small.JPG

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder Tony View Post
    When my bike was picked up by Elk Grove Powersports at my job this morning, the Service Manager promised the sensor causing the overheating would be fixed and my bike returned by 4 this afternoon. @ 3:00 I got a call from him saying the repair wouldn't be done until 5 but that because he promised my bike at 4, he's dispatching his driver with a loaner bike for me until mine is delivered tomorrow morning. Because they didn't have a loaner, they "created a loaner" from their sales inventory. As promised, I was delivered the yellow 2013 Spyder STS with 331 miles (of which I put half on just driving around) seen below. Just another reason I feel lucky to have a dealer who stands by their product after the sale as much as before/during. I assure you that i'm not affiliated with the dealership in any way, I just like to give a positive experience as much exposure as some of the ownership horror stories i've read.

Loaner small.JPGloaner1 small.JPG
    That is great that they bring you a loaner. I do hope that the sensor fixes your problem but I'm not convinced that it will. Please be sure to let us know what happens next.

2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default UPDATE: Overheating Part 1...

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    That is great that they bring you a loaner. I do hope that the sensor fixes your problem but I'm not convinced that it will. Please be sure to let us know what happens next.
    Well, you may be right SpyderAnn. I got my ride back Friday and rode her hard, but did not overheat. BRP called and worked with the repairs every step of the way. Apparently, this has been an issue with 2013 ST's (as we know) and they are taking the opportunity to "try some things" with my bike in tandem with the dealership. They initially thought it would be a sensor swap...then (as you will see in "Job 2" of the invoice, they go into Heat Soak. Late Friday, I received a call from the dealership...they got a call from BRP asking them to swap out the cooling fan. They will pick up the bike Monday (had to order new fan out of Canada) and drop of another loaner. Both BRP and the dealer have said they will keep trying until the problem is solved. Below is the repair order and notes:

Sent: Thursday, July 25, 2013 2:01 PM
    To: Younger, Tony
    Subject: Elk Grove Power Sports Service Invoice

*** THIS EMAIL HAS BEEN GENERATED AUTOMATICALLY. PLEASE DO NOT REPLY ***
    REPAIR ORDER INVOICE # 8477 Elk Grove Power Sports
    10491 East Stockton Blvd Suite A
    Elk Grove, CA 95624
    (916) 714-7223
    Sold To :
    Younger, Tony
    Fair Oaks, CA
    (M) (916) XXX-XXXX
    In Date: Jul.23, 2013
    P/U Date: Jul.25, 2013
    Service Writer: FPercy
    Make Model Year Vin Number Engine Number Key Board Miles/Hours
    Can-am SPYDER ST LIMITED SE5 2013 N/A 1130.00

Job: Job 1 Inspect and advise customer states vehicle is running hot.
    Job Description:
    Perform inspection and advise customer states vehicle is running hot. Found fault P0217 4 count 33 hours. Engine coolant over temp. The coolant level is correct. Could not duplicate the problem. The unit idled for over a half hour cycling the fan between 217 and 203. Talked to Perry at BRP. Call ID # 4158754. He said since the fault occurred in first gear, it sounds like an air flow issue or possibly the radiator.
    Resolution:
    Replaced the engine temp sensor. Test rode machine for 48 miles operates properly at this time with no faults.
    Recommended Repairs:
    Technician Job Description Hours Rate Discount Labor Total
    Bcrawford Job 1 Inspect and advise customer states vehicle is running hot. Warranty 0.00 0.00 % $0.00
    Part Number Description Qty Price Unit Extension Extension
    420274040 SENSEUR.*TEMPERATURE SENSOR 1 $0.00 $0.00 $0.00
    219700362 ANTIFREEZE 1 $0.00 $0.00 $0.00
    Labor: $0.00
    Parts: $0.00
    Fees: $0.00
    Sublet: $0.00
    Sub Total: $0.00
    Tax : $0.00
    Job Job 1 Inspect and advise customer states vehicle is running hot. Total: $0.00
    Job: Job 2 Perform bleeding of coolant system
    Job Description:
    Performed coolant replacement procedure to specifications. With the miles on it, there shouldn't be any air in the system. BRP had a spyder specialist call. Spoke to Davey Call ID# 4168971. He said to check to see if the thermostat was upside down. It is installed correctly. He also said that the new spyder panels are holding in more heat. They have had reported issues with customers riding their unit at slow speeds, stopping for a short period of time with the engine off, then when they restart the unit the coolant is over heating (Heat Soak). They then take off and it cools back down eventually.
    Resolution:
    Call ID# 4168971. It is installed correctly. Performed coolant replacement procedure to specifications.
    Recommended Repairs:
    N/A
    Technician Job Description Hours Rate Discount Labor Total
    Bcrawford Job 2 Perform bleeding of coolant system Warranty 0.00 0.00 % $0.00
    Job Job 2 Perform bleeding of coolant system Total: $0.00
    Notes:
    Total: $0.00
    Balance: Warranty

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder Tony View Post
    My ST LTD has overheated before (had her about a month) and did so again last Sunday. All occurrences (5 times) have been on hot days (between 100 and 107 degrees) but I had not been excessively pushing the Spyder. Each time, I take a pic and send it via e-mail to the mechanic at the dealership. I get it in the shop within a few days and there is never a code thrown.

I have noticed that I seem to run cooler (no heating issues) when keeping the RPMs at 6,000. I don't redline (9,000 RPM's) but used to regularly run on the freeway in the 7,000 RPMs...which seemed to lead to engine overheating. Since I have been running at 6000 RPMs, I don't seem to be overheating. I know the Spyders are sensitive to heat, but I thought i'd be able to ride at freeway speeds on a hot day without getting the dreaded engine "overheating warning".

The dealer has verified that the fan kicks on when it is supposed to (based on coolant temperature) and said he can't find another cause of overheating. Forrest (the chief mechanic at Elk Grove Powersports) has opened a ticket with BRP for the overheating issues, but i'm not sure if it is due to the ambient temps in Sacramento, California as of late, or if I have a problem that requires dealer service. I plan to take some pretty long trips on the Spyder, so any info you could suggest would be appreciated.

I rarely (if ever) use 5th gear, but have been cruising in 4th at 75-80. Now I shift to 5th at 80 and keep at 6000 rpms instead of staying in 4th and maintaining the 7000 rpms I used to. Anybody else notice a "cooler engine temp" when maintaining llower RPM at speeds? The dealer said the Rotax "Could not be hurt by extremely high RPMs" and that 7,000 should be a safe amount. Again...this is just a theory, but I seem to overheat much less since backing off the RPMs a bit. I have attached a pic of the overheating light as well...Overheating.jpg
    It's usually intake air too hot. To get codes it can't be shut off.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White