Spyder Garage

Default 25 miles from home...

No, just about four miles. Was on our way back from a weekend in PA. and Md. We were stopped at a traffic light when I heard loud pipes and saw an idiot on a crotch rocket splitting lanes at the stop light. I said a few descriptive words to the wife and then noticed a State Trooper in his Yukon in hot pursuit. Hope he caught the a$$hole.

It was an eventful trip back home anyway. Got to the exit from I495 to I95 near Alexandria Va. and came to a dead stop. And it was stop and go for the next hour. Now if you're familiar with that nightmare jumble of roads you know that there are somewhere in the vicinity of 5 roads that all converge on I95 south in that area so navigating through there in the best of times is never easy. The cause was a very bad wreck between what looked like maybe two 18 wheelers and some type of car. There wasn't much of the car left to tell what it was. Then after that we'd get up to normal speed for about 5-10 miles and bang, another slow down, back up to speed and bang... Long story short, the normal six hour trip between my sisters house in Hanover Pa, to our house in NC turned in to almost 9 hours. Good thing we were in the cage. Stuck in that traffic as hot as it was, on the spyders, would have been oh so hot.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
    No, just about four miles. Was on our way back from a weekend in PA. and Md. We were stopped at a traffic light when I heard loud pipes and saw an idiot on a crotch rocket splitting lanes at the stop light. I said a few descriptive words to the wife and then noticed a State Trooper in his Yukon in hot pursuit. Hope he caught the a$$hole.

It was an eventful trip back home anyway. Got to the exit from I495 to I95 near Alexandria Va. and came to a dead stop. And it was stop and go for the next hour. Now if you're familiar with that nightmare jumble of roads you know that there are somewhere in the vicinity of 5 roads that all converge on I95 south in that area so navigating through there in the best of times is never easy. The cause was a very bad wreck between what looked like maybe two 18 wheelers and some type of car. There wasn't much of the car left to tell what it was. Then after that we'd get up to normal speed for about 5-10 miles and bang, another slow down, back up to speed and bang... Long story short, the normal six hour trip between my sisters house in Hanover Pa, to our house in NC turned in to almost 9 hours. Good thing we were in the cage. Stuck in that traffic as hot as it was, on the spyders, would have been oh so hot.
    I don't do well with traffic. I'll take my 2 lanes anyday
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. 2017 GMC Sierra cc diesel. 2017 Arctic cat RR 137 ES

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That whole I95 run from about your area up through the northeastern corridor is a nightmare.... Especially during the summer back and forth to the shore areas...

Spyder Garage

Default Don'tcha know..!!

I-95 is a nightmare anywhere you get on..in Conn. they even have the to charge a toll. But we're glad you made it home safe although delayed..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
    Got to the exit from I495 to I95 near Alexandria Va. and came to a dead stop. And it was stop and go for the next hour. Now if you're familiar with that nightmare jumble of roads you know that there are somewhere in the vicinity of 5 roads that all converge on I95 south in that area so navigating through there in the best of times is never easy.
    Glad you made it home safely. I recommend anyone traveling in this area try to avoid the "Suicide Circle" (I495 around DC) at any cost! Bruiser, this would have been way out of your way, but for anyone traveling south to north on I95 in the mid Atlantic area, you can miss Baltimore and DC completely by picking up rt 896 to 301 in Delaware and following it all the way to just north of Richmond, VA. You'll hit some local traffic, especially in Maryland, but it will be a much better ride than 95.
    Skip H.
    '21 Can Am Spyder F3 S
    '97 Honda Goldwing w/Hannigan Astro 2+2 sidecar

[img]

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Whenever we had to travel South; we'd hit I-81 down to Winchester, Va, and then turn East and pick up 95 out by Fredericksburg...
    It avoids that whole Baltimore-D.C. nightmare!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I-95 is even worse this year as they're changing over all the HOV lanes to HOT lanes from the Beltway south to Massaponax. Supposed to be done next year, but I'll believe it when I see it!

Growing up in Chicago, we used to joke about the two seasons-- winter, and construction. D.C. is unfortunately the same way... only we don't have any winters.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hut1 View Post
    Glad you made it home safely. I recommend anyone traveling in this area try to avoid the "Suicide Circle" (I495 around DC) at any cost! Bruiser, this would have been way out of your way, but for anyone traveling south to north on I95 in the mid Atlantic area, you can miss Baltimore and DC completely by picking up rt 896 to 301 in Delaware and following it all the way to just north of Richmond, VA. You'll hit some local traffic, especially in Maryland, but it will be a much better ride than 95.
    My daughter lives in Camden and my brother in law lives in Cheswald. Whenever we go up there we get off of 95 just north of Richmond and take Va 206 over to 301. Get on 50 cross the Bay Bridge, then 302 over to 8. We were up there three weeks ago. Saw several Spyders in the Dover area.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Whenever we had to travel South; we'd hit I-81 down to Winchester, Va, and then turn East and pick up 95 out by Fredericksburg...
    It avoids that whole Baltimore-D.C. nightmare!
    That will probably be our route from now on. Especially if we're on the Spyders. I can pick up I 81 near Gettysburg and then run 64 to Richmond. Glad I wasn't carrying in all that mess. Else I'd be writing this from behind bars.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972

Spyder Garage

Please keep those roads and conditions in your area. We have the opposite. Very few roads and most of the time no alternative route. Any accident happens, and the authorities shut the road down, and you may sometimes wait for hours while they do their CSI type stuff.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Malfunction junction. That's what we called that mess. Lived in that area for 37 years. Been here in Florida for the past 10 years. Don't miss that traffic at all.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default I-Anything Sux

I-anything is the pits in my opinion. I try to avoid Interstate travel to the best I can. You get a reward where ever you travel on the Non interstate highway systems. You get to enjoy the smells of the world, see the people that make things happen, enjoy the beauty of the world. On the interstate system you get exhaust fumes, tail lights, brake lights, warning lights and those ought oh red and blue lights with the guy in the Smokey Bear hat and dark shades. You also have to put up with Mario Wanna Bee and Dale Jr wanna bee race car drivers.

I would rather take a day or two more and enjoy America at its best!