Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Shorty Antenna compared to stock antenna ...

My son accidentally snapped off my stock antenna on my 2012 RT-S roadster this weekend when lowering the garage door. I don't know who was more sorry, him or I. I'm thinking about replacing it with a shorty antenna, but I'd like to get some opinions first. Is the shorty as good or better than the stock antenna?

Between Fort Worth and Wichita Falls Texas
    Spyder Garage

When I swapped mine on my Harley, I went from 3 mile CB reception to 1/4 mile. Fine with me since I only want to talk the wife on her Spyder but from what I've since read, that is typical going to shorter antenna. CB or AM/FM. You drastically reduce reception. Apparently these nearly 3 foot antennas are the optimum for general best reception. As a result I won't change the one on the Spyder since it is stiffer and doesn't whip around as much as those on the Harley. They whipped all over the place which is the reason I replaced them but payed a price doing it.
    Do things like your life depends on it. It COULD!

Spyder Garage

The $10 Walmart one looks great and I get as good of reception as I did with the stock one.
    Name: Eric Heims
    Red 2016 RTS, Diamond R Armrests, Ram X Mount, Doc Humphreys Dampener, BajaRon Swaybar, Spyderpops "Critter Splitter"

"It is the common fate of the indolent to see their rights become a prey to the active. The condition upon which God hath given liberty to man is eternal vigilance; which condition if he break, servitude is at once the consequence of his crime and the punishment of his guilt." John Philpot Curran 1790

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Farmbanker View Post
    The $10 Walmart one looks great and I get as good of reception as I did with the stock one.
    I actually think my reception is better with the shorty from Walmart.

Current: 2018 F3 Limited
    Previous: 2011 RT with 622 Trailer

Mods:
    F4 Customs 25" Windshield
    F4 Customs Air Wings
    Spyderpops Top Case/Seat Extender
    TackForm Phone Mount
    Lamonster Ram Ball Handlebar Mount
    Show Chrome Passenger Armrests

Spyder Garage

The shorty antenna was my first farkle for my RT - from the early days, when the antenna would fall out…. never had a problem or issue with it.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Not good!

I didn't get the $10 one from Walmart. Got the $20+ one online and the reception is terrible. Now I have to decide - music or chrome?

Spyder Garage

Default Length vs Length

it is not the physical length of the antenna that is the issue, as long as you don't change the freguency response length of the antenna. so if you break or cut an antenna you do that. A short antenna could have the same response as a long one, if it's made correctly. That being said a long antenna will sometimes work better than a short one because may be in a better place to get more of the signal. Like holding your open hand behind the windscreen vs beside the windscreen.
    Ed

They told me not to give up on my dreams, so I went back to sleep.

Champagne 2017 RTS SE6
    Quantum Blue 2012 RTS-SE5 "Bluebell, Bell for short" - Traded 09/2017

Spyder Garage

I got the chrome shorty antenna from Custom Dynamics...$19.95.

Spyder Garage

Question replace oem antenna or what?

My OEM antenna was 'broken off' by the wind (according to my nephew). The Spyder was under a tarp.
    I don't really use the radio very often. Can I just trim off the broken portion and shove in the remainder as compared to going out and buying a new antenna?

Quote Originally Posted by Dikicep9 View Post
    My son accidentally snapped off my stock antenna on my 2012 RT-S roadster this weekend when lowering the garage door. I don't know who was more sorry, him or I. I'm thinking about replacing it with a shorty antenna, but I'd like to get some opinions first. Is the shorty as good or better than the stock antenna?
    Rob Harris, USN, ret
    Thank you all of our future, present and former military for your service throughout the world.

Spyder Garage

I've used the wind defense also.
    the shorty from walmart works and looks better then stock.

this posting has been vetted, scrubbed and endorsed by the
    committee for postings

Spyder Garage

on my other spyder I replaced the antenna with a shorty "rubber ducky" from Advance auto, $13.00. I could never tell a difference in the reception. looked better and worked fine.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Registered Users ursamajor35126's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My 2012 had a broken antenna when I bought it... put the Walmart shorty on and haven't looked back.... Works good and no more worries when putting the cover on!

Spyder Garage

I put a shorty on my RT about a month ago, I can't tell any difference at all, got It at O'Reilly's auto parts..
    2013 Viper Red RT S-SE5 All 48 states on a Gold Wing now I'm working on getting all on a

Spyder Garage

Default Antenna Replacement

Quote Originally Posted by Dikicep9 View Post

I replaced my OEM antenna with the Custom Dynamics short antenna. I seem to get better reception...AM did not work until I installed the CD product.
    2016 Freewheeler

2014 Spyder RT-L Pearl White (SOLD)

Akrapovic Silencer, BajaRon Sway Bar/Links, BRP 23" Vented Windshield, BRP Adjustable Wind Deflector,
    BRP Heated Seat/Backrest, BRP Sirius, BRP Bluetooth Dongle, BRP Tri Axis Handlebars w/GPS,
    CD Brake Light Modulator, CD Short Antenna, Elka 1+r Shocks, ISCI Brake, JT Dash Mount, Lamonster Cat Bypass, SP Bumpskid, SP Kott Grills, SP Belt Guard

Spyder Garage

I think it all depends how far you are from radio stations. I live 75 miles from closest radio station and after my antenna broke I tried the short rubber ducky and could not get any reception. I replaced my antenna with an auto one from a junk yard , same leangth as original, just need to run a 6mm thread, looks and works as good or better than original and will never break. Most U.S. cars and truck use that antenna and best part, FREE.
    Roger
    2012 RT Limited
    Vertika Floor boards
    Painted rear fender & dash
    Carbon fiber panels
    Utopia back rest
    Baker air wings
    Elka shocks and relocaters
    CB radio
    ISO hand grips
    Tric LED fender light
    Turn signal lights in mirrors

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I tried the Shortee from Custom Dynamics... went back to the OEM; I lost far too much reception with it up here in the mountains...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

BRP should provide a folding antenna like you see on Goldwings.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You have to remember; the GoldWing has now reached it's 40th year of production.
    It takes a while to perfect a product to that level... give BRP some time.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Question

Could someone post a photo of the Walmart shortie or any other brand that works as good as or better than stock ?

Also...does the factory one screw out and the new one screw on ? or do you need to modify anything.

Thanks dudes and dudettes !
    Craig From Albany Oregon

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Here's the link to the shorty antenna

Quote Originally Posted by WEB-WVR View Post
    Could someone post a photo of the Walmart shortie or any other brand that works as good as or better than stock ?

Also...does the factory one screw out and the new one screw on ? or do you need to modify anything.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Scosche-RM...tenna/16652627

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WEB-WVR View Post

I replaced mine with the universal Scosche from Walmart http://www.walmart.com/ip/Scosche-RM...tenna/16652627 works as well as the OEM (at least in our area, can't speak for mountains).
    It comes with an adapter that will screw right into the block where the oem was attached. Used a little bit of soap and slid the oem boot over the new antenna. End of story.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Default Hidden Antenna

I broke the OEM antenna on my '12 RT trying to get into the trunk without properly taking off the half cover from the front. Repaired it and then it was 1/2" shorter but I could tell no difference.

Then I went with the hidden antenna off eBay for $18 bucks and have no complaints. Had to come up with another plug to fill the hole on the right side and the biggest problem there was to have it painted Viper red.

But I really like the looks of no antenna at all, short or tall. Anybody want/need an OEM antenna that's a 1/2" shorter?

Mike in KY

Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by zuni View Post
    I replaced mine with the universal Scosche from Walmart http://www.walmart.com/ip/Scosche-RM...tenna/16652627 works as well as the OEM (at least in our area, can't speak for mountains).
    It comes with an adapter that will screw right into the block where the oem was attached. Used a little bit of soap and slid the oem boot over the new antenna. End of story.

Thanks to those who responded !

So the stock antenna just unscrews then ?

Thanks again in helping this new Spyder owner !
    Craig From Albany Oregon

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    BRP should provide a folding antenna like you see on Goldwings.
    Agreed, I used to just fold down the antenna and it went under the cover when I put the cover on my GL1500. Any chance the GW one would work on a RT?
    Norm

...Not All Who Wander Are Lost" - Bilbo Baggins

2015 RT-S SE6 Special Series