Thread: Passanger Seat

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Passanger Seat

I test rode an RT Limited & RT S Saturday, and loved it. The problem is that my wife said her back started hurting before we got out of the parking lot. My questing is, did anyone else have this problem? Is anyone using Corbin or another brand of seat? If you are, does it feel better than the stock seat that comes from the factory? You have to keep the passenger (wife) happy.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by scamp View Post
    I test rode an RT Limited & RT S Saturday, and loved it. The problem is that my wife said her back started hurting before we got out of the parking lot. My questing is, did anyone else have this problem? Is anyone using Corbin or another brand of seat? If you are, does it feel better than the stock seat that comes from the factory? You have to keep the passenger (wife) happy.
    Speaking on behalf of the wife...She has ridden with me on 4 other bikes over the past 12 years (all 2 wheelers), and she likes the Spyder RT best. She has been in the passenger seat for almost 600 of my 2,000 miles and never complained once about her back hurting. She only put a total of 250 miles on ALL of my previous bikes with me. AND to top that, the purchase of the was her idea! (That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it!)

Spyder Garage

Default Could be..!!

More tension than the seat. How comfortable is she ryding bikes..?? Although we have an RS my wife had no problem. The passenger section leans to the front and the driver section is short so we got the comfort seat brp offers. Works fine and we ryde every weekend 200 / 300 miles. See if she can ryde a few times and get used to it. There are several seat choices out there but those who have and use them will have to help you..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Try renting a Spyder and going for a longer ride and see if once she gets used to the Spyder she is less tense or if she can get comfortable on it.
    2013 RS-S Neutron Green/Black, Shark RSR2 helmet, Shark Evoline 3 helmet, Sena SMH20, Corbin Seat, Wheelchair Rack, TricLED fender lights, TricLed Underglow kit (green), Trunk Liner, STL Handlebars, Web Boards Driver Floorboards, backrest, BRP Saddlebags, ISCI Handbrake

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

what was the rear shock setting at? also tire pressure has some play in the bounce most dealers tend to over fill the tires in general by a few LBS.

Spyder Garage

Default probably to tense

was she reaching down and holding the handles ,I've found after a few miles most passengers let go and relax

Spyder Garage

The red head has ridden 7000 miles in the last 7 weeks on the back of our 2013 RTS.She says she loves it.Shes only 5ft 2 and a 100 lbs.she doesn`t hardly cast a shadow.

Spyder Garage

The OEM seats are a continuous area of complaints. I have a Corbin with a backrest on one RT and a BRP Comfort seat on the other RT. Both are improvements over the OEM. More firmer, you do not sink into the seat after 50 miles or so. If you and spouse are plus size--a backrest may not work for the driver.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Corbin seat, rider backrest, passenger backrest and armrests here. 2013 RT-S. 13,000 miles on it. Wife has ridden just about 9,000 of those 13. She loves the Corbin seat, backrest and especially the armrests. She has not mentioned any discomfort in the back.

Chris

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post
    Corbin seat, rider backrest, passenger backrest and armrests here. 2013 RT-S. 13,000 miles on it. Wife has ridden just about 9,000 of those 13. She loves the Corbin seat, backrest and especially the armrests. She has not mentioned any discomfort in the back.

Chris
    Thank you MouthPiece, that is what I wanted to know. My wife has put a lot of miles behind me on our Goldwing. We are not plus size. The stock seat just hurts her back. I will try to have her sit on a Corbin seat at their store in Florida and see how she likes it. Thanks for the info. I also have a back rest on the Wing and love it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post

Chris
    MouthPiece, I see you are in Sanford. We are moving to Palm Coast In Sept. or Oct. when our house is finished. Can you tell me a good dealer to buy an RT from? If my wife likes the Corbin seat, I am going to buy an RT-S

Spyder Garage

My wife has rode with me for over 13,000 miles and never once had an issue with her back hurting. Check the level of the foot rest for her. Posture is everything.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We have the Ultimate seat on our RT. Out of the 12,000 miles, Wife has ridden probably at least 10,000 of them.

The back issue could be similar to what the wife described to me. When we had the stock seat, she felt like it was sloping forward, so she was always trying to hold herself back from sliding into me. After getting the Ultimate, she noticed the seat was either level, or maybe a slight back slope to it, so it naturally put her into the back rest.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

My wife has back issues, and no problem with her riding on the RT. As a matter of fact, she is already carrying a drink in one hand and holding on with the other when needed. Straight and level, she likes to lean back against the rest and chill out on the arm rests. I dont think the seat will be an issue for her when she gets used to it.
    we are going to put a more comfy seat on eventually because of butttache...