Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default 2013 STS going back to the dealership

My wife's 2013 STS is having the following opportunities: Brake lights randomly stay on after shut down, the LCD screen does not come on for about 45 to 60 seconds after starting the bike (again randomly), and today the kill switch would not stop the engine from running (had to turn off the key). She also had the brake light wire that was hanging loose and rubbing against the tire (dealer has already fixed that one). So it's back to the dealer for it. I know some of these opportunities are addressed separately in threads, but just wanted to put them together and see if anyone else is having this many electrical gremlins at one time. The bike has a whopping 532 miles on it.
    2013 ST S
    Stock for now

Spyder Garage

Sounds like a poor assembly job to me.... all kinds of problems occur with Spyders when the dealer is a little slack putting the bike together.
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Spyder Garage

I would make sure the dealer rechecks everything.
    4" Stubby antenna, Dual arm LEDs Fender LEDs, Back Rest, Luggage Rack, Run, Brake and Strobe for top case, Mirror LEDs,Back Off decal on mud flap, reciptal for Battery Tender and Heated Gear, mirror LEDs that stay on or work with blinkers, GPS, side bag red LEDs, Top cuff with Ram Ball phone holder And USB power, Top cuff with drink holder and passenger cup holder. Also grilles in front of radiators, also spyclops. Garmin 595 GPS, Freedom windshield. Also glove box console And trunk wrap in carbon fiber from wrap my spyder. BRP comfort seat. added garage opener with rocker switch in center console to match other switches. And I have added Elka stage 2 shocks.
    15 rt , yes Black

Spyder Garage

We are going to drop it off Monday and have them go thru it completely. Was hoping to go on a trip this week, but I don't trust the bike right now.
    2013 ST S
    Stock for now

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Green RSS View Post
    My wife's 2013 STS is having the following opportunities: Brake lights randomly stay on after shut down, the LCD screen does not come on for about 45 to 60 seconds after starting the bike (again randomly), and today the kill switch would not stop the engine from running (had to turn off the key). She also had the brake light wire that was hanging loose and rubbing against the tire (dealer has already fixed that one). So it's back to the dealer for it. I know some of these opportunities are addressed separately in threads, but just wanted to put them together and see if anyone else is having this many electrical gremlins at one time. The bike has a whopping 532 miles on it.
    i have a 2013 ST LTD (830 miles) and had some of the same assembly related problems you do. As mentioned, have the dealer go over the whole bike again ant fix the gremlins. I was disheartened at first but after my 600 mile service Nikki (my bike) is running real smooth. My bike was in the shop 5 times in the 1st month..2 times in a row for the brake lights staying on. Im glad i hung in there because i now am enjoying my bike the way i had envisioned doing so. Hang in there and have the dealer fix that bike!!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool Gremlins

I can totally agree with you on not feeling OK with gremlins rearing their ugly heads at 500 miles. I would not either.

If you could talk your dealer into allowing you to over watch the repair process it sure would benefit you a lot in understanding the complexities of the Spyder. But we know that probably won't happen!

Some dealers have their acts together and some can not seem to understand the true meaning of good quality assurance service. Every time you take the bike back for a poor prep error costs them money and referral points with you the buyer/customer.
    Last edited by Bob Ledford; 08-11-2013 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Add a new para.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder Tony View Post
    i have a 2013 ST LTD (830 miles) and had some of the same assembly related problems you do. As mentioned, have the dealer go over the whole bike again ant fix the gremlins. I was disheartened at first but after my 600 mile service Nikki (my bike) is running real smooth. My bike was in the shop 5 times in the 1st month..2 times in a row for the brake lights staying on. Im glad i hung in there because i now am enjoying my bike the way i had envisioned doing so. Hang in there and have the dealer fix that bike!!!
    We'll keep pushing them. The service manager has always taken care of us. I'm sure they will get it right.
    2013 ST S
    Stock for now

Spyder Garage

We dropped the Spyder off this morning. They agreed to check out everything on the list and to give the bike a close look over. They knew about the TSB on the brake lights; and thought that the dash screen may have been caused by a low battery. The bike had been sitting for a couple of weeks.
    2013 ST S
    Stock for now

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I like how you call those concerns "opportunities"....
    Hope they get it all sorted out!

Spyder Garage

you must use a battery maintainer on these bikes if you dont ride at least 4 times a week for some reason the batterys discharge faster than any bike ive owend,and im on my 53ed bike right now.

2010 RTS-SE, Orbital Blue
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=napper39;660792]you must use a battery maintainer on these bikes if you dont ride at least 4 times a week for some reason the batterys discharge faster than any bike ive owend,and im on my 53ed bike right now. [/QUO

Some people's experience is different. My 2010 RTS bought in March of '10 never saw a battery maintainer until April of '13. During this time period, the bike would not be started or run for 6 or 7 months over the winter. It sat in my unheated garage and never failed to start and run for me in the spring. The only reason I hooked it to the maintainer n April was it was given to me as a birthday present. It hasn't been hooked up since then and I have no problems starting it. The only reason I posted this was to let newbies and prospective owners know that the above post is not necessarily "Gospel"!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=retired1;660839]
    Quote Originally Posted by napper39 View Post
    you must use a battery maintainer on these bikes if you dont ride at least 4 times a week for some reason the batterys discharge faster than any bike ive owend,and im on my 53ed bike right now. [/QUO

Some people's experience is different. My 2010 RTS bought in March of '10 never saw a battery maintainer until April of '13. During this time period, the bike would not be started or run for 6 or 7 months over the winter. It sat in my unheated garage and never failed to start and run for me in the spring. The only reason I hooked it to the maintainer n April was it was given to me as a birthday present. It hasn't been hooked up since then and I have no problems starting it. The only reason I posted this was to let newbies and prospective owners know that the above post is not necessarily "Gospel"!
    I agree 100%. My 2010 RT also was never on a tender and sat in an unheated garage in Michigan for the winter months. At 59,000 miles I thought I needed a new battery but it turned out to be the stator that had gone bad.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I have to wonder about the battery issue also. My STS has sat for long periods of time also, but I haven't had any of the problems my wife's STS has had. Both were bought the same day at the same dealership. Keeps me thinking that this may be a issue with how it was assembled.
    2013 ST S
    Stock for now

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Could just be loose battery connections.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Turns out the brake switch had to be replaced. As for the LCD Cluster not coming on at start up; they showed me this bulletin from BRP:BRP TST.jpg
    2013 ST S
    Stock for now

Spyder Garage

BRP has sure changed the definition of what we would think is normal
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Spyder Garage

$25-30M and all you gotta do is drive around a little to cool the machine and it will work just fine? OK, I haven't had any problem with my 2013 RT since the ball joint replacement so I'm not complaining, but all the heat issues, fire, inop displays, ... is making me a little nervous as far as my investment. I'd like to hear a little more from the company other than "take two ice cubes and call me in a couple of weeks." I'd just like to know that BRP is working on something... anything.

Spyder Garage

Wow... 80-110F is considered unnaturally hot to BRP?

I'm pretty sure every state in the US reaches this temp range at some point.
    tHe SmOkEr YoU dRiNk ThE pLaYeR yOu GeT!

Spyder Garage

Yeah, they are going to have to find a way to vent the heat better.
    2013 ST S
    Stock for now

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Sorry but this is not acceptable....if the cluster will not come on because the cluster is too hot...drive down road to cool down.....heat is bad for electronics...there is a heat issue.....these heat issues need to be fully addressed ...not band-aides
    Turns out the brake switch had to be replaced. As for the LCD Cluster not coming on at start up; they showed me this bulletin from BRP:BRP TST.jpg
    Last edited by flamingobabe; 08-12-2013 at 09:43 AM.

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default ST Brake on after shut-down

Regarding the brake lights staying on after shutdown. I rented a 2013 ST-S for a weekend before purchasing. I was told that if you keep your foot on the brake while shutting down (which is the correct procedure from a safety standpoint) the brake light will stay on. If you push the brake pedal down firmly after shut-down it will shut the light off. While this does work I would like to hear if this was corrected during your service (and I was just given a Band-Aid fix). I am picking up my ST-Limited later this week so the more I know the better off I will be at delivery.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 333Club View Post
    Regarding the brake lights staying on after shutdown. I rented a 2013 ST-S for a weekend before purchasing. I was told that if you keep your foot on the brake while shutting down (which is the correct procedure from a safety standpoint) the brake light will stay on. If you push the brake pedal down firmly after shut-down it will shut the light off. While this does work I would like to hear if this was corrected during your service (and I was just given a Band-Aid fix). I am picking up my ST-Limited later this week so the more I know the better off I will be at delivery.
    The brake staying on problem is a known issue at this point and BRP's fix should remedy it in all cases. Only takes a few minutes to fix. Just make sure they check the bike out for all of the known tech bulletins before you take it home. You'll feel better knowing they fixed it before you rode it away.
    tHe SmOkEr YoU dRiNk ThE pLaYeR yOu GeT!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 333Club View Post
    While this does work I would like to hear if this was corrected during your service (and I was just given a Band-Aid fix). I am picking up my ST-Limited later this week so the more I know the better off I will be at delivery.
    It has rained pretty much every day here since we got the STS back home (in-tween rain showers); but I'll ley you know once we get a chance to ride again.
    2013 ST S
    Stock for now

Spyder Garage

It has rained pretty much every day here since we got the STS back home (in-tween rain showers); but I'll ley you know once we get a chance to ride again.
    I picked up our ST-S from Mountain Motorsports last Saturday and rode the entire way home, 106 miles, in the pouring cats and dogs rain. I know it gave the bike a very through test of rain durability of which is survived. Now after 250 miles we have had no heat problems or light problems or anything else abnormal. And for this I give credit to our service tech, Adam, at Mountain Motorsports. He is simply the best and really cares about his customers.

We have also adopted a new ryding slogan, "If it ain't raining, we ain't rydin".

Carl
    2012 White RT Limited and 2013 Yellow ST-S Think 3 .i.

Spyder Garage

Default Wow

I thought I was reading my own post , I towed my bike to the dealer this pass sat with the same and similar problems . When at the dealers service dept I saw bout 9 spyders in with problems . There were 3 rt in for loosing there brakes ether during the rain or after , the rest were sts including mine , I gave a list of problems . Hope fully they will fix it. still under warranty with 1500 miles , so I can sell the pos. I got a buyer on the hook .