Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Smile Purchased my 1st Spyder 2013 RTS-SE5

Made my transition from a Honda Goldwing to a 2013 RTS-SE5 Spyder on June 29th, picked up unit on July 4th @ Greenville Powersports in Greenville, SC. Back last summer I rode my friends RTS for about 200 miles, rode nice, no problems, wife like ride on the back better than the Goldwing. Friend gave little instruction as far as shifting @ 5100 rpm's, etc and we rode without a problem. Well, so far on our new unit, within the first 480 miles, had the spyder back to the shop three times, first two times for check engine light, vss failure and of course it went into limp home mode. Took it right to the dealer as we weren't that far away and they took it right in, corrected the problem both times. First time, they did it while I waited, had a couple of "ghost" codes, and the second time I left it and they said it showed a premature upshift. Told them I thought that was odd, as I have read several articles about shifting, but being how I just jumped from a wing to a spyder, thought it was possible that I upshifted to soon, not use to the revving of the engine without shifting. Spyder ran great for a couple of weeks, until today at Ceasars Head State Park when I parked the alarm went off indicating that I didn't have the parking brake on, not true, it was on. I inserted the key, turned the key on and then back off and that took care of the problem, I thought anyways. Upon leaving, I backed out of the parking spot, and upon taking it out of reverse, I get the brake symbol showing up on the RECC and then the orange screen with brake failure. Well, the brakes were working fine, so I drove on to Pretty Place and then back home and to the dealer. Upon taking it to the dealer, service manager said with 480 miles on it, they could do the 600 mile service if I wanted to leave it, which I am doing. Just hope after reading some of the post on here about other owners having problems with there spyders and not daring to go to far away, I'm not heading down that road with mine. I believe that I just have a couple of Canadian bugs to get worked out and things will be just fine. So far, I am enjoying it when I do get out to ride, but still have some getting use to. Power Sports of Greenville have been just wonderful so far as to getting it right in and taking care of the problems. Can't wait to get it back and head to Deals Gap, and see just what it will do.
    Last edited by spydercamp13; 07-20-2013 at 07:33 PM. Reason: add photo

Spyder Garage

on your new ryde and to the site.

I am going to suggest the possibility of dealer set up issues. Hopefully they will have your running like it is supposed to once they do the 600 mile check. I recommend you have them do a thorough test ride prior to giving the back to you.

There are way to many postings that follow this scenario lately.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Did the same thing today....Wing to a Spyder...Congrats!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Welcome to the safe trike club…. congrats

Spyder Garage

My wife and are just coming of a VFR800 set up for touring and we were looking at a Gold Wing until she rode on the back of a friend's Spyder. After that, she refused to ride on the back of a motorcycle again as she said she felt much safer on the Spyder. Congratulations and I hope they get the bugs worked out for you.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

On the new wheels!
    I also think that this might be a case of the dealer setup just not quite being up to snuff...
    They'll get it...
    Rnjoy the ride!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

and congrats
    2017 F3- Limited

F4 23" Windshield, Ultimate Backrest, Spyder Cuff, SpyderPops Bump Guard, Sena SMH10 Intercom, BajaRon Sway Bar, Baker Cup Holder, RT-622 trailer w/Spyder Pops Bump Guard

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydercamp13 View Post
    Made my transition from a Honda Goldwing to a 2013 RTS-SE5 Spyder on June 29th, picked up unit on July 4th @ Greenville Powersports in Greenville, SC. Back last summer I rode my friends RTS for about 200 miles, rode nice, no problems, wife like ride on the back better than the Goldwing. Friend gave little instruction as far as shifting @ 5100 rpm's, etc and we rode without a problem. Well, so far on our new unit, within the first 480 miles, had the spyder back to the shop three times, first two times for check engine light, vss failure and of course it went into limp home mode. Took it right to the dealer as we weren't that far away and they took it right in, corrected the problem both times. First time, they did it while I waited, had a couple of "ghost" codes, and the second time I left it and they said it showed a premature upshift. Told them I thought that was odd, as I have read several articles about shifting, but being how I just jumped from a wing to a spyder, thought it was possible that I upshifted to soon, not use to the revving of the engine without shifting. Spyder ran great for a couple of weeks, until today at Ceasars Head State Park when I parked the alarm went off indicating that I didn't have the parking brake on, not true, it was on. I inserted the key, turned the key on and then back off and that took care of the problem, I thought anyways. Upon leaving, I backed out of the parking spot, and upon taking it out of reverse, I get the brake symbol showing up on the RECC and then the orange screen with brake failure. Well, the brakes were working fine, so I drove on to Pretty Place and then back home and to the dealer. Upon taking it to the dealer, service manager said with 480 miles on it, they could do the 600 mile service if I wanted to leave it, which I am doing. Just hope after reading some of the post on here about other owners having problems with there spyders and not daring to go to far away, I'm not heading down that road with mine. I believe that I just have a couple of Canadian bugs to get worked out and things will be just fine. So far, I am enjoying it when I do get out to ride, but still have some getting use to. Power Sports of Greenville have been just wonderful so far as to getting it right in and taking care of the problems. Can't wait to get it back and head to Deals Gap, and see just what it will do.
    I just bought a 2013 ST Limited I only have had some minor steering issues and a heat issue on the left side of the bike, Everything else has been ok and i have done with my first service which showed no problems. Not all owners have all the problems others do with their bikes. I read most of the post on here and at times it can look scary. I think Brp will address some of the issues somehow someday. Good luck with your bike and happy rididng.

Spyder Garage

and welcome. They will get you taken care of, can be frustrating at time,s but the miles of smiles will more than make up for it!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Congratulations, and many happy miles!