Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Keeping strangers off and a subwoofer...

The title might be a little misleading because one has nothing to do with the other, but two things my gray matter has been wondering about:

1) Other than an alarm system or a cover, does anyone have any slick ideas for keeping strangers off their Spyder while unattended? More than once, yesterday being the latest incident, I have come out of a store and it is apparent that someone had had their carcass on my ride. Yesterday was evidenced by the paint chip and shoe scuff marks that were not present when I parked. Was only in the store for 20 minutes and parked in the very first spot closest to the door. Have considered an electric fence or barbed wire, neither seems practical, although the first idea could be good for comedic value. Any ideas??

2) Was thinking of a subwoofer that would fit into one of he saddle bags on my RTL just like the fitted luggage. Was envisioning something that when slid into place would plug into a fixed connector inside the compartment. When one wants to use the compartment for actual storage, the subwoofer would just be slid out and left at home. Thought this might add a little punch to the stereo. Has anyone tried anything like This? Have seen all of the speaker additions to the front fairing, but nothing for just a little "thump".

Sent from the corner of walk and don't walk....
    Sent from the corner of walk and don't walk...

Spyder Garage

Default Put a contact switch under your seat - toggled on/off

Wire it to your horn. Or, some other kind of alarm.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

It is so hard to cure stupid. A cover might help--but then there is some hassle with that solution. To bad the parking lots don't have rent a pitbulls.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default A solution..maybe

A cattle prod installed under the seat to provide a 9kv attitude correction! This was happening to my Spyder as well, stranger butts tracks. I've got the Scorpio RSi 900 alarm system with proximity sensor, get close to the bike and it starts to complain about it. It also lets me know about it too. I've been meaning to order the sticker that goes over the safety placard the says don't mess with my Spyder as a visual reminder to those that can read.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I bought a cable lock for my helmet and I secure my helmet on the seat. It keeps folks off the bike and frees up space in the storage bags or trunk. You could also turn the handle bars to the far left and lock them so it would not be easy to mount. I still have to check my switches to see if they have been played with but this is common to any motorcycle. Another strategy is to not park out of sight of where you are if possible but to also not park near a pedestrian walkway or sidewalk.

Spyder Garage

With the Scorpio alarm, does that mean I have to park in he middle of nowhere to keep the proximity sensor from constantly gong off? Or maybe better asked, how close does it allow someone to get before it starts crowing?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

don't certain stores sell fake piles of dog scat? Leave THAT on your seat!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I know you said other then alarms, but I really like the perimeter sensor that I installed with the scorpion alarm, somebody comes near it chirps if they continue, chirps faster and if the actually touch it, full on lights and alarm! If they walk away all is well and chirping stops!
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Why go with fake! Much more effective!

Spyder Garage

Default Alarm

When I had my 09GS I installed a Gorilla alarm. When I went into a store for an example I would put it in warn away mode. If someone touched it, the alarm would give a single squawk. The remote would vibrate if you are close enough to let you someone touched it. It did seem to do the job at keeping the morons off. That reminds me the alarm is laying in a plastic tub in my garage I will have to get at installing it in my ST.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Leave it to Bob!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

In case you forget to pick it up, and sit on it!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I don't mind people looking, but I don't want something that will go off if a car pulls into the next parking spot.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Ah, fake good, squishy bad!

Spyder Garage

Default sat

i don't know if any1 has sat on mine while i'm not there... but i've been asked a whole bunch of times if they could sit on it (to take pix)... i had 1 woman in NM make me an offer that i won't mention here, if i'd let her take mine for a ride.... i did have 1 guy tell me he was going to steal it when i went into the gas station for a pit-stop... stupid is incurable... ignore these people and enjoy our ...
    006.jpg

Spyder Garage

I can see this now...I am getting some good thoughts on the security aspect, but all is quiet on the subwoofer front. Anyone want to place a bet on how long before we see a post showing "Hey, look what I did!" and bang, a subwoofer faster than you can say "Bob's your uncle". Wait, he isn't. Is he? Who's on first?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Biosafena View Post
    I don't mind people looking, but I don't want something that will go off if a car pulls into the next parking spot.

The perimeter sensor has a sensitivity adjustment which allows you too adjust it so that does not happen!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Biosafena View Post
    I can see this now...I am getting some good thoughts on the security aspect, but all is quiet on the subwoofer front. Anyone want to place a bet on how long before we see a post showing "Hey, look what I did!" and bang, a subwoofer faster than you can say "Bob's your uncle". Wait, he isn't. Is he? Who's on first?

i was just on the kicker site recently, they have a sub that is pretty flat. it's maybe a six or eight inch, wouldn't take up much space wherever you put it.
    it was fun while it lasted.

Spyder Garage

It's a condition of my insurers that a Cat-1 alarm is fitted. Unfortunately the alarm they specify is designed for motorcycles typically leaning on their side-stands.

It has a built-in mercury switch so that if someone climbs aboard and moves the bike to vertical the alarm is triggered. The movement caused to the Spyder's chassis by someone climbing aboard it is insufficient to activate the mercury switch, intruders have to attempt to start the engine before the alarm's shock and awe lets rip!

2011 RT-S SE5, Acumen Tempest Cat-1 Alarm, SmoothSpyder Belt Tensioner,
    Autocom Super Pro Auto, Garmin Zumo 550 BT, 10amp Socket, Front Fender LED's,
    Grip Puppies, Spyderpop Belt Guard, Nautilus Horn, Shortee Antenna, BajaRon's Swaybar,
    Cree LED Day Running Lights.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have the Spy 5000m alarm with the proximity sensor. I mounted the sensor under the plastic right in front of the seat. It starts getting angry if someone stays within the "Y" profile for to long or immediately if someone climbs on. No alarm trigger if you stay outside the "Y".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

I also have the SPY5000m alarm, it's a lot less expensive than the Scorpion and comes with a proximity sensor. The proximity sensor is a must if you want to keep people off the seat. I first had the the Gorilla alarm which has only a shock sensor (and a tilt which is worthless on the Spyder) and I could still easily climb on the seat without it going off. The SPY5000 will shriek and flash if you even lean over the seat and it'll scare the bejesus out of anyone with hearing. I've thoroughly tested the alarm and it works great even though it only costs $99. It also comes with 2 two-way remote transmitters.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

The Scorpion is a bit pricey, but I figure a lot of money is spent on the Spyder and it is worth protecting my investment!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    When I had my 09GS I installed a Gorilla alarm. When I went into a store for an example I would put it in warn away mode. If someone touched it, the alarm would give a single squawk. The remote would vibrate if you are close enough to let you someone touched it. It did seem to do the job at keeping the morons off. That reminds me the alarm is laying in a plastic tub in my garage I will have to get at installing it in my ST.
    Did the alarm affect the battery ? I've read that some bike batteries would run down if the alarm was not disconnected between rides.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by philbert1998 View Post
    Did the alarm affect the battery ? I've read that some bike batteries would run down if the alarm was not disconnected between rides.
    Of course it will run down the battery over time. The alarm will draw power whether it is armed or not. Also the gage cluster draws power and will run down the battery over time. It is a matter of how you use your Spyder. In my case there was likely never a week during the riding season that I did not ride it at least once so the battery stays charged. I never had a problem with a low charge on my battery. Now if your Spyder is parked for 3 or 4 weeks at a time then I would recommend the use of a battery maintainer. During seasonal storage I disconnect the battery as recommended by BRP.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

For those of you who have the alarm with the pager - Have you ever had to react to the alarm going off? Was there someone sitting ON the spyder? How did you handle them?

As ticked off as I would be, I know it's not good P.R to come out with "Guns a blazin", but they also need to know it is rude and unacceptable to sit on it without permission.

I haven't discovered anybody sitting on mine yet, but I wondered what I would do if I did... One option is to strike up a conversation, turn it around to "What are you driving?", and when they tell you, go over and sit on the hood, or roof! Then when they ask what you are doing, just turn it around on them... They should get the hint then..