Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My dilemma!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just be careful when you climb off and on the bike... It's going to seem like the handlebars have been mounted backwards!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Related story - sort of

Many years ago (66-67) when we lived in Augusta my mom and kid sister (about 6 at the time) were headed into downtown Augusta with the windows down when a motor officer on a tri pulled up along side at a light. Kid sister, as only a 6 year old can, blurts out "Look mom he's got training wheels too." Mom said the officer was laughing so hard he almost missed the light changing.

Good times back then.

Ride safe,
    Curt Givens KC8STE
    Dayton, OH - Home of Hamvention
    MOLON LABE
    2012 Viper Red RT-S
    Center tail/brake light
    Mud flap run/ts
    Fender bright sides
    LED Tip lights
    Rivco Flag holder on trunk
    BRP Hitch
    Piggybacker XL Trailer

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Yup the first trike I ever rode was a Police Servicar 48" Harley Davidson. What a pig, the bike not me!

Spyder Garage

Congratulations, great looking bike. I for one would greatly appreciate if you did post your evaluations and comparisons. I am very curious how the handling compares with the Spyder. It seems that 2 wheels in the front would be a huge handling advantage and that was one of the big selling points of the Spyder for me, but my actual experience with one wheel in the front trikes is limited to old Honda ATV's. I think the Street Glide trike is the sexiest looking thing I've seen on 3 wheels, so if the handling were there I'd have to consider it.
    2012 RS Black - Fox Shocks, BRP Touring Windshield, BRP Sport Rack, BRP Backrest, BRP 1"Riser,Kuryakyn Console Inserts, Spyder Pops Missing Air Dam and Heat Shield
    Next Up - Madstad Brackets, Floorboards, Kuryakyn Iso-Grips

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by steve635 View Post
    Congratulations, great looking bike. I for one would greatly appreciate if you did post your evaluations and comparisons. I am very curious how the handling compares with the Spyder. It seems that 2 wheels in the front would be a huge handling advantage and that was one of the big selling points of the Spyder for me, but my actual experience with one wheel in the front trikes is limited to old Honda ATV's. I think the Street Glide trike is the sexiest looking thing I've seen on 3 wheels, so if the handling were there I'd have to consider it.
    The challenge will be that it is apples and oranges. Both handle drastically different, the only real way to know if "the handling were there" would be to drive one and see if you like the way it handles. You can never say a Spyder out handles a conventional trike or vice versa, they are just totally different animals. IMHO a conventional trike does sacrifice safety in comparison to a Spyder? A conventional trike going into a hot corner IMO is more likely to want to lift one of the rear wheels. Having said all that the Tri Glide is for sure one sexy beast............. Wish I could have both FFS!
    Last edited by Buttsy; 07-20-2013 at 05:13 PM.
    2011 RTS SM5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ga Blue Knight View Post
    Yup the first trike I ever rode was a Police Servicar 48" Harley Davidson. What a pig, the bike not me!
    I can not believe you said that about a service car. It was as wonderful as a Hummer. Wait, come to think of it, neither were great.
    If you haven't been over to Maggie Valley, NC/Wheels through Time museum, go. Dale might even let you sit on one of his service cars for old times sake.
    Have fun
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

I can tell you from experience ; 19 thousand miles On a Spyder and almost 19 thousand miles on my Tri, the handling is there, You can't compare the old Honda ATC's [I had 3 of them] To a street Trike. I will say that the Spyder with DPS, Does steer easier [lighter] than the Tri, But after a few miles under your belt on the Tri you'll think the Spyder steers too easy, Especially at highway speeds...
    Last edited by boborgera; 07-19-2013 at 07:38 PM.

Spyder Garage

Although I don't have a Street Glide, please allow me to offer some thoughts. I had a 2010 RTS SE-5 with Elka shocks until last October when I traded it in for a 2012 Harley TriGlide (my fifth Harley). The Harley handles better and feels much more stable. It doesn't require as much effort to initiate a turn, but more effort is required to hold that turn. The Spyder always required that I lean more in a turn to offset physics. Much, much less on the TriGlide. Road angles are less noticable, too. Perhaps that's because the width of the Harley's two wheels (the rear) are about a foot narrower than the RT's fronts. I'm much more confident on the TriGlide that I ever was on the Spyder. Last month two friends on Goldwings and I rode the Tail of the Dragon, something that I probably would not have done on the Spyder. I was surprised at how quick a pace I was able to maintain on the Tail, especially since I had never ridden it on anything. And my two friends (both veteran, competent riders) couldn't believe that I stayed right with them. Is the Harley perfect? Nope. It doesn't have independent rear suspension thus making for a much rougher ride than the RT and, boy do I miss the semi-automatic transmission! Otherwise, the Harley "fits well" and provides a lot of comfort. And I did have to buy a device to drastically reduce the clutch pull. Though I'm no longer a Spyder owner I'm rooting for it's improvement and success. Don't be surprised to see me at Spyderfest. I almost attended this year after attending in 2011 and '12.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Steve thanks for the comments. I will not post any comparisons here as this is a Spyderlovers Forum and don't want to start up another beat a dead horse thread. I have had two Spyders in the last four years and have had absolutely no problems with either, I loved them both! My going over to the Triglide has more to do with my technical knowledge of the Harley ( can do my own work on it) than any disatisfaction with the Spyder. I have not been happy with the BRP Dealer network in my area for a long time, plus being a retired cop I do not have the income to keep feeding them for inferior maintenance. I have ridden Harley's professionally and personally. So it was a natural way for me to go. All I will say about handeling is that the triglide takes more upper body strength than a person with strength issues may want to take on but easy enough for a typical ave rider. They both handle differently but competently. As for safety issues, stupid is as stupid does! It's not a Hyabusa and I don't exceed any bikes limits I just ride them. The absence of the "Nanny" also means the absence of "Limp"mode so that's where rider experience takes over. The Triglide is most likely not a starter bike as the Spyder could be and I would not recommend it to someone who has never rode a manual shift motorcycle. I will still be a lurker and sometime participant here as I love the Spyder platform and want to see how it develops.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the thorough comparison...
    And you won't be a lurker; you're family!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm not going to trade my Spyder, but it would be nice to get service locally at the HD dealer instead of 125 miles away.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

The only con to owning one i think would be getting stuck in traffic,at least a Spyder has a cooling system.

Got stuck in some Las Vegas traffic on my '06 Road Glide.100 + temp that day and my bike went it to heat mode.Running on one cyl. I had to dodge around the stopped cars so my bike would not fry.

Spyder Garage

Default Apples to Oranges

I love my RTS SE5, but in May bought a 2013 HD 1200 Custom Sportster because my husband wanted his HD Roadglide when we trailered the bikes. Could only fit the Spyder in the trailer. Now we can take the two HD's in the trailer. And since I worked at a HD dealership got an employee deal. And it feels great to ride a HD again, like coming home to an old friend. Tried the HD Trike at the time I purchased the Spyder, but like,you said it took too much upper body strength in the turns. Would be exhausted after an all day ride. But I am a girl !!!Enjoy your new ride!

Spyder Garage

Default Temp

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder4Tess View Post
    The only con to owning one i think would be getting stuck in traffic,at least a Spyder has a cooling system.

Got stuck in some Las Vegas traffic on my '06 Road Glide.100 + temp that day and my bike went it to heat mode.Running on one cyl. I had to dodge around the stopped cars so my bike would not fry.
    The temp is no worse on a Tri-Glide than it is on a Spyder. They both have temp management systems. The HD knocks down to one cyl when temp reaches a high enough temp. Never had that happen yet on the HD and was in 102 deg city driving. I did have the Spyder temp light come on last year in 95° same route and shorter delay. Just saying there is no reason to compare tempratures. They both run hot, just one has engine sitting right under you, and the other has a fan blowing it on you. Your right leg, or foot will get hot, just move it out of the hot zone
    2012 RT Limited: Utopia back rest, SealBoards, and Shark bluetooth communicators on VCAN Woody helmets.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ga Blue Knight View Post
    Here are some pictures of my new ride at the dealer waiting for new handlebars (2" closer and backrest) got to love actually seeing a motor! I wish BRP made a stripped version with the motor showing. As you can see it looks a lot like my old Police ride.

Pretty, pretty machine and you can actually see the machinery.

There is nothing wrong with retro rides.

Enjoy and have fun.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

How too hook up a 2013 Rt 4 pin connector to a 5 pin flat trailer connector ? Anyone have the solution ?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Larry rt View Post
    How too hook up a 2013 Rt 4 pin connector to a 5 pin flat trailer connector ? Anyone have the solution ?
    Larry,

You may want to start your own thread to get an answer. The dilemma here was switching from a spyder to a triglide.
    Last edited by wyliec; 07-21-2013 at 05:06 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That wiring problem has him more confused than we originally thought...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for all of the support and I do appreciate being one of the mainly even if I am now divorced from your sister!

somebody help poor Larry, he's a newbie and has a wire loose, thread here.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder4Tess View Post

The way that I've always dealt with traffic on a bike is to just give up pull into anyplace that serves coffee or Softdrinks (depending on the heat or cold) and just chill out. I never feel that I just have to get there now If I am on my bike. That attitude is for cars and trucks.