Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

I have kind of stayed out of the frazzle over the heat issues. I will say that I am glad I did not jump on a 2013--even though I liked the yellow color so much, that barring purchasing a 2013, I was even considering painting my current ryde. I did not though.

There has been enough discussion about the heat issues, that I do believe there is a problem with the current iteration of the product. I will agree that BRP did testing--but one of two things seems to be the answer here.
    1. They tested in the wrong climate and conditions.
    2. They knew a problem existed and pushed the product out anyway.

Customers are spending hundreds of dollars for suspension components, and heat remedy components to make their new 's driver friendly. For $25K - $30K, they should come off the dealer floor ready to go.

BRP has a small window to fix the issues and have a product that does not have issues that require customer fixes to make them drivable. 2014 is a year that many will be watching very closely IMO.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    I have kind of stayed out of the frazzle over the heat issues. I will say that I am glad I did not jump on a 2013--even though I liked the yellow color so much, that barring purchasing a 2013, I was even considering painting my current ryde. I did not though.

There has been enough discussion about the heat issues, that I do believe there is a problem with the current iteration of the product. I will agree that BRP did testing--but one of two things seems to be the answer here.
    1. They tested in the wrong climate and conditions.
    2. They knew a problem existed and pushed the product out anyway.

Customers are spending hundreds of dollars for suspension components, and heat remedy components to make their new 's driver friendly. For $25K - $30K, they should come off the dealer floor ready to go.

BRP has a small window to fix the issues and have a product that does not have issues that require customer fixes to make them drivable. 2014 is a year that many will be watching very closely IMO.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Love our '13

Yellow, fantastic ride, no problems and no money spent (on issues).

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JacqueTanis View Post
    I'm glad you're not having a problem - you're one of the lucky ones. The heat I feel has nothing to do with the sun, wind or time of day. No matter when or where I ride the panels on the left side of my bike get so hot I cannot put my leg against them or touch the screws for fear of a burn. The panel heat does not fluctuate throughout a ride except to get hotter and hotter the longer the ride. I ride an ST and have had it for 6 weeks. Not complaining, I love my bike and am actively working on the problem - with my dealer and also all the wonderful suggestions and ideas I am getting from Spyderlovers posts. You all rock.
    Same with ours. The left side gets too hot to touch. I don't feel it as much because my knees are out but my wife can get burns when she rides it. I wrapped the exhaust but that did nothing and that is not really the purpose of exhaust wrap, I should have known that but tried it anyway.

Spyder Garage

Default Geat

Quote Originally Posted by azjerry View Post
    Same with ours. The left side gets too hot to touch. I don't feel it as much because my knees are out but my wife can get burns when she rides it. I wrapped the exhaust but that did nothing and that is not really the purpose of exhaust wrap, I should have known that but tried it anyway.
    Have an appointment today with my service department today - my first time there (2 hours drive so it should be good and hot by then). Service Manager seems to want to help and is looking forward to "feeling" and checking out my bike as he's not had one come in yet with the excessive heat problem. He says I will not be charged for the visit. He's also going to check the MC cover to make sure it's not melting and the shocks - I guess a bulletin (per another member) went out to the dealers about the shocks, to be replaced (certain vins?) only if people complain. We've been talking about adjusting them but realized the ST can't be adjusted (front shocks). Am looking forward to seeing what happens with that as well. Will post when I get home tonight and let you know what happen's.

Spyder Garage

Default Heat problems with the ST

Since we got our ST Limited back from the dealer with the heat shield that they installed, we seem to be doing ok. The left side is still getting hot but it isn't hot enough to burn. We ave never seen the bars go above 5, so we were clueless to the melting master cylinder until it actually happened. I don't think the temp. conditons outside have anything to do with it. Our RSS never had any problems! I still say the steering on the ST is a lot different from the RSS, I have to put muscle into turning now. I hope BRP can fix all this for all of us.

Spyder Garage

Cool Complain

Quote Originally Posted by bamaryder View Post
    Since we got our ST Limited back from the dealer with the heat shield that they installed, we seem to be doing ok. The left side is still getting hot but it isn't hot enough to burn. We ave never seen the bars go above 5, so we were clueless to the melting master cylinder until it actually happened. I don't think the temp. conditons outside have anything to do with it. Our RSS never had any problems! I still say the steering on the ST is a lot different from the RSS, I have to put muscle into turning now. I hope BRP can fix all this for all of us.
    Complain big time to your dealer! BRP did send a bulletin to all dealers about 4 weeks ago authorizing shock replacements for those ST's with steering problems. Got mine replaced and it really helped. No more having to muscle the bike on left hand turns. There are mileage restrictions so see your dealer ASAP.

Spyder Garage

Default Update

Spent the day at the dealer yesterday - had three guys going over the bike from head to toe. Showed an overheat code (bars weren't up though) - anyway, easy answer on SOME of the heat, at least the excessive "burn my leg" heat. The coolant was down - WAY down. I just had my 600 mile service a month ago at a different dealer, didn't even occur to check the coolant. They weren't pointing fingers, at least not at me. They were curious if the coolant had really been checked at the time it was serviced though were careful not to come right out and accuse the other dealer - very diplomatic. Engine was running 30 degrees cooler when we left. They asked us check the coolant level again when we got home (80 mile trip) and said if it was down we had a leak - to trailer it back and leave it with them. Level was good although we will be checking it regularly from here on out. Dealer said it was nothing on us as we've had it such a short time (2 months - 2000 miles) and it was serviced at 900 miles so there was really no reason for us to check it. We left without having to pay a penny for the 6 hours they were (actively) working on the bike.

Still have the heat but NOTHING like it was - still think BRP has a problem they need to FIX! When dealer talked to them about it they suggested I wear pants - please, what twits. I just spent $25,000 on a product with an obvious problem and they pretend to not only be ignorant of the problem and then had the audacity to suggest I wear pants (I do by the way - I'm always fully geared up and would not dream of wearing shorts on a bike - ANY BIKE). As a side note on something else I find totally ridiculous - I was looking at their riding jackets and pants - expensive but not bad for good gear. What amazed me is they don't include the armor. Excuse me? I was amazed that they advertise their high quality gear and don't include the amour - how cheap it that? I was just dumbfounded!

OK, off my soap box. Still going to replace the coolant with Engine ice and also add more thermal barrier to the left side panels and a Therma Tec standoff shield to the exhaust pipe that runs next to the panel (I've already wrapped and siliconed it), and also trying to figure out how to shield the Cat Converter (BRP of course said I should not remove it, that it will affect the performance of the bike??? and void my warranty). Any idea's? I know Spyderpops is coming out with a shield but have not developed it yet.
    Last edited by JacqueTanis; 07-27-2013 at 11:04 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm glad to hear that they found something tht could be addressed... and doubly glad that it helped!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

My 2013 RS has the same heating issue on the left side. I have been working on a solution and may have found one (crossing my fingers). I have done some shorter rides in 80 degree weather and it is working. I plan on going on a longer ride today and will see how it does. I will post back on my findings.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Exclamation ST HEAT ISSUES

I am ready (like this week) to purchase a 2013 ST Limited. Am I crazy??? Am I going to regret this immediately?

I have been obsessed with the Spyder and now that I am ready I am reading all about these serious issues. I actually called CanAm directly the other day and told them I had already purchased it but did not have my VIN. They said "they were not aware of any ongoing issues or campaigns about excessive heat issues" "I should check with my dealer as they are more technical"

Please help!

Spyder Garage

Default So????

Quote Originally Posted by hchays View Post
    My 2013 RS has the same heating issue on the left side. I have been working on a solution and may have found one (crossing my fingers). I have done some shorter rides in 80 degree weather and it is working. I plan on going on a longer ride today and will see how it does. I will post back on my findings.
    And what is the solution you're trying?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 333Club View Post
    I am ready (like this week) to purchase a 2013 ST Limited. Am I crazy??? Am I going to regret this immediately?

I have been obsessed with the Spyder and now that I am ready I am reading all about these serious issues. I actually called CanAm directly the other day and told them I had already purchased it but did not have my VIN. They said "they were not aware of any ongoing issues or campaigns about excessive heat issues" "I should check with my dealer as they are more technical"

Please help!
    Go for it. You will not regret it. Just make sure to establish a good working relationship with your dealer.

Carl
    2012 White RT Limited and 2013 Yellow ST-S Think 3 .i.

Spyder Garage

Default Buy it ...

I think you should get it. I've had mine 2 months and even with the heat issue on the left side I love it and am not sorry I bought it. I still have my BMW F650GS and would not dream of getting rid of either. With all the help and idea's I'm getting from the members in this forum I am actively working on the problem (something BRP should be doing). I would just make sure you get a good dealer and that it's set up properly - watch for the problems others have had (ball joints, shocks, heat) and make sure you're on top of it! You will love it ... I think the ST rocks!

Please help!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by quickster47 View Post
    Go for it. You will not regret it. Just make sure to establish a good working relationship with your dealer.

Carl
    +1. My STS is way better than my 2008. You'll love it
    2013 ST-S SE Pure Magnesium

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JacqueTanis View Post
    And what is the solution you're trying?
    I have wrapped my pipe with titanium wrap (got very little improvement). Now I am trying a new heat barrier on the back side of the plastic panels. So far i am finding a very noticable improvement. I want to test it one more time this week when the temps are in the upper 80's. If all goes well (as I expect) then I will make public what my fix is. I got very good feedback today on my ride (about 2.5-3 hours of road time).

Spyder Garage

Please help!
    I bought one two months ago. It is a little hot on the left side when the temps are above 90. Some minor steering issues which i fixed with tire preasure adjustments. No major problems yet. I have 1400 miles on it and have had my 600 mile service done. So in other words I would go for it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Go for it !

I love it, no issues & no mods.

Spyder Garage

Default Lamont, can you summarize your heat mods? ...

Lamont, can you give an evaluation summary of your latest heat mods, based on your trip to Canada? Did they work for you on the ST? Are you privy to any BRP solutions in the works at this time that you can divulge?

How is Flamingobabe coming with her heat mods?
    Last edited by OldDog; 07-29-2013 at 06:58 PM.

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

So far we have wrapped the pipes...1" over-lap....water wetter in radiator ....ceramic heat shield on gas tank...a temporary heat shield to protect master cylinder.....a flash from PitBull on ECM to richen up fuel...2000 miles spark plugs went from chalky white to a mocha color...which is good color...all the heat that was coming out near handlebars is gone....still concerned about mpg...some times 36....and after 400 miles start getting a lot less...more like 20's..that makes no sense....but I'll take her out this weekend and try and run a few tanks thur the spyder...so far...so good.....but concerns for any permanent damage is still unknown to the engine

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Spyder Garage

In reading the concerns over some of the units producing extra heat, I wonder if anyone has identified the root cause. Using heat wrap on the exhaust, heat tape and heat shields are band-aids that simply mask the root cause. If the spark plugs are running ghost white then we know it is calibrated very lean. As I understand it, the 2013s have a catalytic converter that previous models did not have? And the 2013s have the added panels that fill in the gaps along the sides, further reducing the airflow? There is likely a new ECU program for fuel and ignition that goes with the CAT, so based on the heat and the plug color it should be a safe guess that there were new targets for emissions and reduced fuel consumption, with the lean calibration now causing the extra heat issues? Fuel is a great coolant, so cutting back on the fuel delivery will for sure make the engine run hotter. We would also want to validate the cooling system is filled to capacity. Maybe the cooling system now needs more cooling capacity to compensate for the reduced cooling effect of less fuel? Not just the amount of liquid capacity, but overall cooling capability of the entire cooling system, from pump to water flow to radiator efficiency to fan timing, all of it.

I would really want to see what kind of fuel is being used on the units that are reporting the extra heat. Are they all burning 10% ethanol, or maybe more? It would be most curious to see what happens if one were to run a tank of premium, non-oxygenated fuel to see if it makes a difference. Could the “hot” units be even worse due to higher levels of ethanol (more leaning out of the fuel-air mixture) than simply magnifies the problem?

My guess would be a new ECU program as being the single most effective solution, but that takes time to develop and validate. Meanwhile, it stands to reason to use non-oxygenated fuel as much as possible. A colder spark plug also makes sense. And the heat shields and tape and wrap should protect components while this all gets sorted out.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sledmaster View Post
    In reading the concerns over some of the units producing extra heat, I wonder if anyone has identified the root cause. Using heat wrap on the exhaust, heat tape and heat shields are band-aids that simply mask the root cause. If the spark plugs are running ghost white then we know it is calibrated very lean. As I understand it, the 2013s have a catalytic converter that previous models did not have? And the 2013s have the added panels that fill in the gaps along the sides, further reducing the airflow? There is likely a new ECU program for fuel and ignition that goes with the CAT, so based on the heat and the plug color it should be a safe guess that there were new targets for emissions and reduced fuel consumption, with the lean calibration now causing the extra heat issues? Fuel is a great coolant, so cutting back on the fuel delivery will for sure make the engine run hotter. We would also want to validate the cooling system is filled to capacity. Maybe the cooling system now needs more cooling capacity to compensate for the reduced cooling effect of less fuel? Not just the amount of liquid capacity, but overall cooling capability of the entire cooling system, from pump to water flow to radiator efficiency to fan timing, all of it.

I would really want to see what kind of fuel is being used on the units that are reporting the extra heat. Are they all burning 10% ethanol, or maybe more? It would be most curious to see what happens if one were to run a tank of premium, non-oxygenated fuel to see if it makes a difference. Could the “hot” units be even worse due to higher levels of ethanol (more leaning out of the fuel-air mixture) than simply magnifies the problem?

My guess would be a new ECU program as being the single most effective solution, but that takes time to develop and validate. Meanwhile, it stands to reason to use non-oxygenated fuel as much as possible. A colder spark plug also makes sense. And the heat shields and tape and wrap should protect components while this all gets sorted out.
    All Spyders have had catalytic converters from the beginning. They just took it out of the muffler and made it separate on the RS for 2013.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I got to say it seems like this overheating could be a huge safety issue. I am getting ready to finally pull the trigger on the ST and all this talk of modifying a $24k bike has gotten me a little timid to pull the trigger. Does anyone know if any of these issues have been addressed for the new model year about to roll out? I may just wait for a 2014.

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

sledmaster...I agree...wrapping is just a band aid....wetter water may help 2 or 3 degrees....but the most help we believe is the flash on the ECM...fuel...but how does one measure this......all I know...my ST is more comfortable to ride

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default On going heat issues with ST's

Quote Originally Posted by 54spyder View Post
    We have a 2013 ST-SE5 and to be honest, have not had any heat issues yet and we have road in high 90 degree heat down here in Houston. We do feel some heat on the left side of the bike, but nothing unbearable. I have yet to see the temp gauge go above 5 bars either. After riding over 800 miles, we are extremely happy with our ST.
    Is it possible that people not having the heat issues have later delivery dates and the factory made an unpublicized mid year modification?

I am about to purchase a 2013 ST Ltd. Am I crazy????