Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Ongoing ST heat Mods

I am following the ongoing heat mods to the ST with keen interest. With the combined efforts of Spyderlovers and BRP, I believe a good solution will be forthcoming. Thanks to Flamingo Babe for being a test dummy! Heat tape, heat blankets, and shields... As was mentioned, it appears running a cooler plug and flashing the ECM will help as well to bring the engine temp down some. Forced air ventilation remains to be seen or tested, I suppose.
    It will be interesting to get a report from Lamont, Flamingo Babe and others.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thank God I have never had any of the issues I read so much about (other than squeaking brakes on my first Spyder).

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Zenagirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Extreme Heat on the Left Side

Quote Originally Posted by OldDog View Post
    I am following the ongoing heat mods to the ST with keen interest. With the combined efforts of Spyderlovers and BRP, I believe a good solution will be forthcoming. Thanks to Flamingo Babe for being a test dummy! Heat tape, heat blankets, and shields... As was mentioned, it appears running a cooler plug and flashing the ECM will help as well to bring the engine temp down some. Forced air ventilation remains to be seen or tested, I suppose.
    It will be interesting to get a report from Lamont, Flamingo Babe and others.
    I will be SOOO glad when this is taken care of! It gets so uncomfortably HOT on the left side, and painful, even with full gear, that I just think it's something BRP needs to figure out a solution to take care of. Waiting for solution results!!!! Mind sharing your popcorn while we wait?)

Between Fort Worth and Wichita Falls Texas
    Spyder Garage

I have a concern about these mods. If the worse should happen and your machine catches on fire, won't that give BRP and your own insurance company an easy out? That you made changes that may or may not be a contributing factor. But I totally understand the desire to stop the heat. Just seems like a risk.
    Do things like your life depends on it. It COULD!

Spyder Garage

Default Ongoing

Have wrapped and siliconed the exhaust, added 3 layers of heat shield to panels, Still hot enough to cook on! Am going to purchase a Thermo tech Clamp on heat shield like the one I saw on La Monsters bike and going to the service department Tuesday to have him take a look - he's anxious to help. Has not had had an ST with the extreme heat problem yet so he's looking forward to checking it out. Going to have him check the MC Cap (just for safety's sake) and per some advice have them "flash" the computer setting to set fuel to not be so lean. We'll see ...

Spyder Garage

Default Picture of the bottom of an ST in the area of the Car Converter?

Quote Originally Posted by JacqueTanis View Post
    Have wrapped and siliconed the exhaust, added 3 layers of heat shield to panels, Still hot enough to cook on! Am going to purchase a Thermo tech Clamp on heat shield like the one I saw on La Monsters bike and going to the service department Tuesday to have him take a look - he's anxious to help. Has not had had an ST with the extreme heat problem yet so he's looking forward to checking it out. Going to have him check the MC Cap (just for safety's sake) and per some advice have them "flash" the computer setting to set fuel to not be so lean. We'll see ...
    Can anyone take a picture of the bottom of an ST, in the area of the cat converter? What would be the direction of airflow under the Tupperware if ventilation is forced through? The master cylinder is like a marshmallow near a bonfire.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

humm I thought this was part of all the rave with the ST, no more heat problems!!! Glad I did not trade in my RS

Spyder Garage

I'm not sure all st's are effected. I keep seeing people that are having no heat trouble .

Or am I imagining this?
    tHe SmOkEr YoU dRiNk ThE pLaYeR yOu GeT!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sny View Post
    I'm not sure all st's are effected. I keep seeing people that are having no heat trouble .

Or am I imagining this?
    We have a 2013 ST-SE5 and to be honest, have not had any heat issues yet and we have road in high 90 degree heat down here in Houston. We do feel some heat on the left side of the bike, but nothing unbearable. I have yet to see the temp gauge go above 5 bars either. After riding over 800 miles, we are extremely happy with our ST.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Heat Theory

Its hard to believe that so many people say they have no heat problems no matter what they are riding, RT, RS or ST and then so many others complain. I will say, One therory I have is. I have been riding in the same degree heat at the same speed at the same time of day and depending on the direction I am going, placement of the sun and direction of wind and wind speed can make a huge difference in the heat you feel.

Spyder Garage

There is apparent heat, like what you feel on the left side. .. or what rt and rs riders feel on the right.

And then there's HEAT. Like the kind that melts master cylinders causing brake failure, boils gas in the tank so that it sprays out on you when you open it, and causes the bike to run so lean that the plugs turn white.

All within the first 2600 miles.

Spyder Garage

Default ST Heat

So far from reading all the posts it seems the 2014 changes ie frame,akropovic exhaust,cat and nanny program have created the heat problem on the left side IMHO........

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tajohn View Post
    So far from reading all the posts it seems the 2014 changes ie frame,akropovic exhaust,cat and nanny program have created the heat problem on the left side IMHO........
    You need to remember the ST is new for 2013 and a blanket statement such as yours is not really spot on. The Akrapovic exhaust is an option and the other items you mention are not necessarily new to the Spyder line up.

Carl
    2012 White RT Limited and 2013 Yellow ST-S Think 3 .i.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

While I certainly don't want to try and minimize the validity of any of the heat complaints...
    Folks all have different comfort thresholds...
    Folks ride in different conditions and weather...
    Stop and go traffic in an urban environment at 95 degrees, is certainly going to affect things more than 80 degrees out on the open road.
    As SNY mentioned though; melting and boiling stuff does take it all to another level...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    While I certainly don't want to try and minimize the validity of any of the heat complaints...
    Folks all have different comfort thresholds...
    Folks ride in different conditions and weather...
    Stop and go traffic in an urban environment at 95 degrees, is certainly going to affect things more than 80 degrees out on the open road.
    As SNY mentioned though; melting and boiling stuff does take it all to another level...
    Bob.

I had a 2012 RSS and bought a 2013 ST Limited> I live in PA so i am not a biker from the south. I have minor steering issues which i think are partly my fault. However the heat on the left side is bad. None the less for 25 K plus to worry about something melting and steering being a problem what is it going to take for BRP to realize this needs to be fixed. I am glad this isn't my first spyder and i do like it a lot but it is not much fun trying and hoping something i can do will help. I like what your msg. brings up and it is not only for heat issues. Tire preasure seems to be big on spyders however what you weigh. what kind of spyder you have.riding 2 up.towing a trailer are factors. i saw someone that likes 20 lbs in the front tires and 30 in the back. If i used this on my bike i couldnt handle it at all.
    Last edited by SpyderMouse22; 07-21-2013 at 08:45 AM.

Spyder Garage

A lot of the heat issues based on comfort levels depends on your riding style. I have no issues with it, but my wife does and has shown me her 1st digree burns on her legs so I know there is an issue. She rides with her legs pressed to the side panels and I told her to try giving some space, but she doesn't feel comfortable riding that way.
    I have installed reflective heat tape on a large part of the panels, but that has not helped. I will add that to more of the panels to see if it improves.
    I am concerned about the melted master cylinder covers and asked the dealer to look at it. I will also look at it once I get it back from the dealer.

Our first Spyder so I hope a fix is found. We do like it so much that I am selling my Harley and trading in the ST-L next spring on a RT-L with trailer
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

I'm sure there's a fix and BRP's working on it, they're just not communicating well so we're all left wondering and worrying.

Spyder Garage

Default Hmmmm

I'm glad you're not having a problem - you're one of the lucky ones. The heat I feel has nothing to do with the sun, wind or time of day. No matter when or where I ride the panels on the left side of my bike get so hot I cannot put my leg against them or touch the screws for fear of a burn. The panel heat does not fluctuate throughout a ride except to get hotter and hotter the longer the ride. I ride an ST and have had it for 6 weeks. Not complaining, I love my bike and am actively working on the problem - with my dealer and also all the wonderful suggestions and ideas I am getting from Spyderlovers posts. You all rock.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzel View Post
    Its hard to believe that so many people say they have no heat problems no matter what they are riding, RT, RS or ST and then so many others complain. I will say, One therory I have is. I have been riding in the same degree heat at the same speed at the same time of day and depending on the direction I am going, placement of the sun and direction of wind and wind speed can make a huge difference in the heat you feel.

Spyder Garage

Cool Heat Issues!

I have to agree with Jacque on this one. I too have 2013 ST Limited. I traded in my very modified 2009 GS. I did experience heat on the right foot on the GS, especially after I installed floor boards which were much lower than my pegs. I have installed a thermo block on my left knee panel and my dealer completely wrapped all exhaust pipes with approval from BRP to do it under warranty. They also replaced my super soft, floppy shocks with a beefier shock also with BRP approval under warranty. The shocks really helped. My bike now tracks straight not pulling to the right and it no longer feels like I have to muscle the bike through left hand turns. The pipe wrapping and panel work, not so much. It's still so hot I can't let my left knee touch the side of the bike after 5 miles. I only show 5 bars and the bike runs great. Yes I live in Florida and we consider 85 a chilly day. But guess what, I lived in Florida last summer and rode my GS all summer long with no problems. Yes, BRP is aware of the heat problems and I really hope they solve it and soon. In the meantime, don't laugh when you see me ryding like a chicken with a broken wing. That's what it feels like with my knee sticking out.

Spyder Garage

Default Happy to hear BRP so working on the heat problem !

It just boggles my mind , I am sure they put the bikes thru a vigorous test before selling . It's hard to believe BRP did not know bout the heat problem .

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

check your plugs...to see if it is running lean...this will cause excessive heat

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Spyder Garage

I had a 2012 RSS and now have a 2013 STS. On the RSS, the heat on my right ankle was painful to the point of needing to get off and let it cool down. Not fun for long rides. Now the STS does build heat on the left panel, but it is not hot enough to cause me pain and make me want to stop. You just know its warm. I usually ride with my legs resting against the side panels, and if it gets warm, I just spread my legs out into the wind, and I get instant coolness. Not a big issue on the STS. One I can definitely live with, not so with the RSS cooking my ankle.
    2013 ST S
    Stock for now

Spyder Garage

Default ST heat

Quote Originally Posted by flamingobabe View Post
    check your plugs...to see if it is running lean...this will cause excessive heat
    Thanks for the reminder.......I keep forgetting to do that.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Green RSS View Post
    I had a 2012 RSS and now have a 2013 STS. On the RSS, the heat on my right ankle was painful to the point of needing to get off and let it cool down. Not fun for long rides. Now the STS does build heat on the left panel, but it is not hot enough to cause me pain and make me want to stop. You just know its warm. I usually ride with my legs resting against the side panels, and if it gets warm, I just spread my legs out into the wind, and I get instant coolness. Not a big issue on the STS. One I can definitely live with, not so with the RSS cooking my ankle.

I had a 2012 RSS had the hot right foot problem.. Took the factory exhaust off put on a hindle and that took care of the hot foot. With my ST Limited what can I do? left side is hot and i live in PA where the heat isnt as bad as the folks from the south.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderMouse22 View Post
    I had a 2012 RSS had the hot right foot problem.. Took the factory exhaust off put on a hindle and that took care of the hot foot. With my ST Limited what can I do? left side is hot and i live in PA where the heat isnt as bad as the folks from the south.
    Take it to your dealer and have them open a ticket with BRP. BRP is working on a permanent solution and will pay for temporary fixes (such as wrapping exhaust) under warranty in the meantime.