Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 1" or 2" lava wrap tape?

I was going to order a 50' roll of Lava Wrap for the dealer to install. Do I need the 1" or the 2" wide tape?

thanks

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I think the correct answer would be both. The wider for the straight runs the narrow for corners or turns.

But I'm clueless to the correct answer. I would think if you were super tidy in wrapping one width would do it thereby reducing your costs. Keep us informed?

Spyder Garage

I have just completed my wrap installation.

I used 2" wrap, overlapping at about every inch or so.

Once installed I covered the wrap with sticky aluminum tape, the type normally use on HVAC jobs.

I only covered the section most exposed, it did remove quite a bit of the heat.

Now if I could only figure out a way to disperse the heat on the right side.

Dom

Spyder Garage

Be adviced that you will see some white smoke coming out of it when the pipe gets hot. THis is normal. It will last a while, but don't worry about it. Eventually the wrap will adapt with the pipe and the smoke will stop.
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bullant12 View Post
    Be adviced that you will see some white smoke coming out of it when the pipe gets hot. THis is normal. It will last a while, but don't worry about it. Eventually the wrap will adapt with the pipe and the smoke will stop.

True, I forgot to mention that.

Fauquier County VA - Virginia's most carefully pronounced county.
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by poordom View Post
    I have just completed my wrap installation.

I used 2" wrap, overlapping at about every inch or so.

Once installed I covered the wrap with sticky aluminum tape, the type normally use on HVAC jobs.

I only covered the section most exposed, it did remove quite a bit of the heat.

Now if I could only figure out a way to disperse the heat on the right side.

Dom

I used 2" on both sides. A total of about 18'. The aluminum HVAC tape will come off and make a mess. The adhesive cannot handle the kind of heat generated by exhaust. Most is only rated to 150º. Special high temp tape will go to 250-300º. Some of the adhesives will also burn. Heat will make the thin aluminum very brittle and it will start to flake off. Air moving under the tupperware will push it into places you don't want it to go possibly leading to electrical problems. I recommend against using it as you could create serious issues.
    2012 RT Limited - Pearl White

My Mods -
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?39494-DR-Buck-s-2012-RT-Limited-Mods
    2012 RT Limited , Full size brake peddel White w/Red Highlights

Spyder Garage

I used 1". Takes longer but it goes around the bends better. Using 2" on the straight portions and 1" on the curves is also an option. And I know some who have used 2" on the entire system. I have not seen the results of a 2" install but I know the 1" lays nicely. Whatever width you use be sure to overlap 1/2 of the width on each turn. That is how you get a uniform thickness over the pipe.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I used the titanium wrap and covered everything down to the y-pipe. It took 65' of wrap, overlapping every 1" , using 2" wrap. The titanium goes on without wetting making it easier to install. I also droped the y-pipe first and used it to practice on. Total time to complete, for me, was 6 hours, lots of tie-wrap cuts on the arms and hands, but, I'd say it's worth the time and money.
    Catching a Yellow Jacket in your helmet at 65 mph can double your vocabulary

Spyder Garage

Default Here's what I did..!!

used the 2" applied wet, went on easy and cornered well overlapping 1". Once dry sprayed with silicone hy-temp 1500 degree coating. Has done a good job with the heat...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member MidLifeCrisis's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The instructions for the wrap I used said to overlap 1/4". Not sure why, but still does a great job. Oh and on the smoke issue, mine was far from light. My Spyder looked like it was on fire, till the wrap cured. Don't be alarmed if you get more than light smoking and best to cure at night.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool Thanks

Thanks for all the tips. Now have a guide. On how to do mine. I stealing the OP data I guess that makes a data terrorist?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MidLifeCrisis View Post
    The instructions for the wrap I used said to overlap 1/4". Not sure why, but still does a great job. Oh and on the smoke issue, mine was far from light. My Spyder looked like it was on fire, till the wrap cured. Don't be alarmed if you get more than light smoking and best to cure at night.
    If you cure it in stages it's not so bad. I start it up with the Tupperware off so I can see the left side (front cylinder). Run it until it starts to smoke fairly well (doesn't take long the first time) then shut it down for 5 minutes or so. Repeat this 3 or 4 times (it will take longer to start smoking each time), put the Tupperware back on and go for a ride (taking it easy for a few miles).

By the time you get home you should be good to go. If you just wrap it and ride it you'll probably look like you're on fire the first time you stop.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

RT-S PE#0180
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 1VENOM View Post
    I used the titanium wrap and covered everything down to the y-pipe. It took 65' of wrap, overlapping every 1" , using 2" wrap. The titanium goes on without wetting making it easier to install. I also droped the y-pipe first and used it to practice on. Total time to complete, for me, was 6 hours, lots of tie-wrap cuts on the arms and hands, but, I'd say it's worth the time and money.
    Did the same with mine. Used SS hose clamps. Took a little over 2 50' rolls of 1" wrap with 50% overlap to complete job. Let it run in driveway, without Tupperware for 20 min., then took it for a 30 min ride. By that time, it had stopped smoking, reinstalled all the body panels. Be sure to use NEW locking nuts when reinstalling the headers if you remove them for this task. Love the heat reduction.
    Last edited by frank3; 07-18-2013 at 08:40 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

And this DOES make a significant difference in the heat on your legs???

Did you guys ad the silicone coating?
    Last edited by kepople; 07-19-2013 at 02:16 PM.