Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

I am very interested in this rack, when it becomes available. I just want a place to carry lighter bulky items (rain gear, bike cover, etc). However, I do have some concerns. I have heard that over time, the rack may cause cracking of the trunk lid. I've seen this on some Goldwings. Anyone have the same concerns?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Luggage rack

Do you have the travel cover? Will it still fix with the new rack on your bike?

Spyder Garage

I have the Diamond R rack also, it is a little pricey but i like the looks of it and it was easy to install.
    mtbear

Spyder Garage

Default trunk rack & antenna

Hello MrFats,

I see your antenna doesn't look like the one on my 2014 RT. If you install the Diamond R rack, do you have to change out the antenna ?

Regards, Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by mrfats View Post

I have the Diamond R Trunk Rack. An advantage to their rack is that it will not block those that have the 3rd brake light up high on the trunk. Diamond R is a sponsor on Spyderlovers too. They come in black powder coated or chrome. It's always nice to have options...

Spyder Garage

Default YES!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lyonsden View Post
    I was thinking about purchasing this luggage rack for my RT. I really like the looks of it and was just wondering if anyone else had installed it and what they thought? Photos on your bike would be great if you have them.
    I purchased that same unit from Big Bike Parts almost 1 1/2 years ago. It is very easy to install and works great. It is made quite well and the welds are clean and neat.
    The only drawback is the trunk lift mechanism is not quite strong enough to hold the trunk lid up while putting things so you have to manually hold the lid up. I have been planning on adding a second lift cylinder but have not yet.

Spyder Garage

I had that rack for my 2010, and was going to add it to my 2014. I decided not to - I thought it was too big, and overpowered the lines of the bike.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

I like the looks of the luggage racks. Gives a little more chrome to the . I am usually able to store whatever I need in the compartments provided--but would consider one just for the looks.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Rack

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    I like the looks of the luggage racks. Gives a little more chrome to the . I am usually able to store whatever I need in the compartments provided--but would consider one just for the looks.
    Better plan on waiting to get the rack, took about a month.
    Very easy to mount and looks great on the bike.
    Weight is too much for the ram so be prepared for that
    The cover won't fit so you have to get a different cover.
    And the antenna has to be changed out.
    But having the rack is worth it for the option of being able to carry another bag.

Spyder Garage

Default top case rack

Quote Originally Posted by rc51ny View Post
    I am very interested in this rack, when it becomes available. I just want a place to carry lighter bulky items (rain gear, bike cover, etc). However, I do have some concerns. I have heard that over time, the rack may cause cracking of the trunk lid. I've seen this on some Goldwings. Anyone have the same concerns?
    One can get the large round washers with the star pattern in the middle and this helps a lot, also use a large fender washer or preferably the biggest 1/8 inch aluminum backing plate on the inside of the lid and this should stop any cracks from developing.
    Andy
    My wife and I circumnavigated the globe on our trimaran sailboat, gone 8 years
    Cushman Eagle, 1954 Corvette, 1964 Corvette with Duntov cam, 1996 Corvette, Chrysler 300 Hemi,
    2003 1800 Gold Wing with Hannigan sidecar
    2014 Spyder RT
    IBA41956
    DS446

Spyder Garage

Default ???????????????????

Quote Originally Posted by sequimspyder View Post
    Better plan on waiting to get the rack, took about a month.
    Very easy to mount and looks great on the bike.
    Weight is too much for the ram so be prepared for that
    The cover won't fit so you have to get a different cover.
    And the antenna has to be changed out.
    But having the rack is worth it for the option of being able to carry another bag.
    My cover fits just fine, maybe a little more snug but fits with no problems and I am in an area that I put the cover on every night.

I did not have to do anything to my antenna at all. The rack fits just fine & is centered on the rear trunk lid.

You are absolutely correct in the weight being to much for the ram though and I think a second one will solve that little dilemma.

Spyder Garage

Default Rack

IMG_0809.JPGIMG_0812.JPG
    I built my own and added a $16.00 light from ebay. Don't plan on carrying anything heavy on it.
    [SIGPIC]

Spyder Garage

Forgot I had this picture - these are the "washers" I mentioned:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Smile Rack

I put one on my RT in Sept to go to Las Vegas. Worked very well for small gym bag.
    Don't have pic. Watch where U drill holes....check inside of lid before U drill.
    Rick

Spyder Garage

Default luggage Rack

Quote Originally Posted by lyonsden View Post
    I was thinking about purchasing this luggage rack for my RT. I really like the looks of it and was just wondering if anyone else had installed it and what they thought? Photos on your bike would be great if you have them.
    I have the very same rack on my 2013 RT it looks just like the Pic you posted.I like mine!!

Midnightbreeze