Spyder Garage

Default Far away from home - NEED serious HELP !

Guys,

I am in Burlington Wisconsin and I am having a problem with my spyder: I keep blowing fuse F1 (15A) (Lights: Tails, positions, plate & Day Lights, VBAT Cluster, DESS & MSR. The problem is very erratic and the fuse either blows right away or after a few minutes into a ride...Sometimes, after more than 5 minutes...WHEN THE FUSE BLOWS, I get the check engine light and then the Check transmission, check parking brake for faults. I can't check for codes because this fuse controls my control unit preventing me from using the cluster and shifting !

Please note that I had the same problem into the trip some 1400 miles ago when I was in Montreal. The Mechanic at Contant BRP Shop worked on the bike for more than 9 hours without really finding anything. The bike stayed overnight in the shop and worked the next morning. I then drove all those miles until the same problem today

Common situations: both times, the problem happened after washing my rad from bugs.

PLEASE HELP: WHAT SHOULD I CHECK?

Note: Charley711 posted (21 June 2013) something very similar to what is happening to me. So I am trying to find a small compressor right now to try to blow and dry up the fuse box....

I will welcome all of the ideas at this time, I need help.... !

Thanks

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    A wet fuse box is a good bet.
    Otherwise it is a time consuming process of disconnecting each circuit from the fuse and measuring the resistance of the individual legs (lights & etc).
    If it isn't a wet fuse box I'm afraid I would suspect a cluster problem, but that's only a guess.
    have you tried replacing the relays from one the the other. One Might be going bad & cause problems once it gets up to temp. I had the cluster throw all the check this & that. Also might be a bad front steering angle sensor going bad

Spyder Garage

I'm less than 30 miles away. I have spare relays. And a Ford F450 if needed. Let me know what I can do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Arrow

You said a tech worked on it, found nothing, and the problem seemed to go away.

Here's what I would be thinking were it myself in your situation.

It's either a harness that is worn and shorting or any other wire within the circut that the teck may have moved. (and now it has finally worked its way back to where it was before the tech moved things around)

Or, you have a wire that's not making complete contact in the fuse box(at the fuse holder) and is building heat and blowing the fuse. Or there's a short on the outbound side of the fuse and water found it.

All hunches. But that's what I'd be thinking and that's where I would be looking. m2c

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Default Need Help !

Sent you a PM.

Thanks

Serge

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderDen View Post
    I'm less than 30 miles away. I have spare relays. And a Ford F450 if needed. Let me know what I can do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Understanding that I have a very small compressor, blowing the fuse box with air did not give me the result I was expecting...still blowing the fuse !

Serge

Quote Originally Posted by Max LTD View Post
    Guys,

I am in Burlington Wisconsin and I am having a problem with my spyder: I keep blowing fuse F1 (15A) (Lights: Tails, positions, plate & Day Lights, VBAT Cluster, DESS & MSR. The problem is very erratic and the fuse either blows right away or after a few minutes into a ride...Sometimes, after more than 5 minutes...WHEN THE FUSE BLOWS, I get the check engine light and then the Check transmission, check parking brake for faults. I can't check for codes because this fuse controls my control unit preventing me from using the cluster and shifting !

Please note that I had the same problem into the trip some 1400 miles ago when I was in Montreal. The Mechanic at Contant BRP Shop worked on the bike for more than 9 hours without really finding anything. The bike stayed overnight in the shop and worked the next morning. I then drove all those miles until the same problem today

Common situations: both times, the problem happened after washing my rad from bugs.

Note: Charley711 posted (21 June 2013) something very similar to what is happening to me. So I am trying to find a small compressor right now to try to blow and dry up the fuse box....

Thanks

Very Active Member Spyderjockey's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I had the same problem of blowing that fuse and finally found out that the license plate light was broken and even loose in the socket and of course was shorting out.....almost exactly the way you are having the fuse blow on your bike. Just a thought.......it might be worth checking.
    Corbin Bags and Corbin trailer hitch
    Shark 250 Watt Sound System with 2 speakers in front 1 in back
    Kurakyn Highway Foot Pegs
    Garmin nuvi 1450 LMT with Ram Mount
    F1 Queen Slider Windshield
    Power Outlet
    Shark communtication system
    SDC L.E.D. 6" Tail/Brake Light
    Gremlin Bell from Tail of the Dragon ride
    Cortech tank bag
    Kewlmetal adjustable handlebars
    Elkas Shocks all the way around
    Utopia Backrest

Love my Spyder!!!

Spyder Garage

Default Need Help !

Thanks everyone,

Looks like after all those posts and speaking with SpyderDen, I have lots to do first thing tomorrow morning. I plan to be working on the bike at 6am and go from there ! If nothing works, I will be phoning Rob's Performance in Johnson Creek WI.

More to follow..Thanks again !

Serge

Spyder Garage

Talking

Thanks everyone,

Looks like after all those posts and speaking with SpyderDen, I have lots to do first thing tomorrow morning. I plan to be working on the bike at 6am and go from there ! If nothing works, I will be phoning Rob's Performance in Johnson Creek WI.

More to follow..Thanks again !

Serge

Good Luck!

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Fuse F1 feeds the cluster, the DESS module, the diagnostic link connector under the hood, and the ignition switch. I suspect you have gotten water into one or more of them, and perhaps the fuse box itself. If you used a pressure washer or car wash to wash off the bugs, the water could have gone where it is not wanted (and is hard to dry out). There could also be a sealing problem with a component. Checking and drying all these components is a good start. If you get it running again,, stay away from the water until you find where and how it is getting in....and stay away from pressure washers altogether. Hopefully it is just a water problem and you have not had arcing, damaging a component.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Good luck.

Spyder Garage

Default Need Help - OK for now

To all of you,

Please allow me to thank everyone for their quick response last night. I did everything that I was told to check this morning and after a 15 minutes drive, everything is working fine.

Everything has dried up and I also found some corrosion in the licence plate light assembly ?

SpydenDen, I am keeping your cell phone number..just in case ! Thank you !

Very much appreciated. I will update after my 400 miles leg today

Thank you

Serge

Spyder Garage

Godspeed! I'd refrain from washing out the radiator again. The diagnostic connector and the AAPTS sensor are located in that area, along with associated connectors. You may have had additional problems to the blown fuse.
    Last edited by NancysToy; 07-16-2013 at 10:08 AM.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default I am 15 miles from you

Guys,

Thanks
    and there are three excellent dealers within an hour ish of you. I sent you a PM with my cell if I can be of any help.
    Lets ride!!!!

Spyder Garage

Default Taking a WAG

On my car when I was blowing fuses repeatedly I eventually found the fuse blocks negative ground wire was loose. Once that ground wire was tighened I never blew another fuse. I have no idea if one corrolates to the other just trying to help. Also check battery cables and make sure they are tight!
    Good luck,
    Doc

[QUOTE=Max LTD;657192]Guys,

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Update - Tuesday

Well everyone, we made it from Burlington, WI to St. Cloud, MN without any issues. Very hot all day but we are not
    complaining !

The Spyder worked like a charm all day !

Once again, I want to sincerely thank everyone for their help yesterday.

I plan to discuss the issue with my dealer back home. I will update everyone soon after.

Sincerely,

Serge

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks

Thanks Bob, it helped today !

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I'll keep my fingers crossed for you...