Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Bought a second bike but it wasn't a spyder this time

I picked up a second bike but not a spyder, sorry guys. I have a 2012 RT-S. I do like it and it's great for travelling distances but as a daily driver I just don't feel old enough to be on it, I hate the way the back end looks, there isn't much to do as a rider other than steer and press the gas, and its kind of slow especially in the corners even when leaning off the bike into the turn aggressively. I feel out of place on it being only 41 and not having a physical need that prevents me from being on 2 wheels (yah, I know, flame away, lol). I'm also tired of it shutting down the fuel on me when I push it through a turn and there is just too much plastic, almost 30k and its just covered with plastic a big portion of which isn't even painted the body color?? IhIISo I went shopping for a second bike. Originally I was going to get an RSS as it doesn't look nearly as awful from the back, it's quicker, and less of an old man's bike (duck and cover ). What killed me on the RSS is that I wanted the copper color and I wanted a 2012 and just couldn't find one that was within a few hours. Personally I think they made the 2013 RSS worse. BRP should have made the seating position more sporty instead of less, I think raising and changing the handlebars was an awful decision on their part when they already have 2 other models that are more for cruising with upright seating positions. I also don't agree with the changes to the cat in the exhaust. Then there is the price, the RSS is just to expensive at this point compared to an equivalent 2 wheeler. The RSS should be about 15 with the base RS around 14 which seems to be a set price point in the 2 wheeler world. So I'm still a spyder dude but most of the time I think I'll be on 2 wheels for the next 20-30 years unless BRP considers making a real sport model or I'm travelling or shopping and I'll leave the RT for the wife. And yes, I spent about 15 hours on an RSS over a weekend so I have a good idea how it handles turns, etc. compared to an RT. While my new 2 wheeler doesn't have any of the frills of the RT it was well under 1/2 the price of a RSS, almost a third of the price. Sorry BRP, I'm not sure what demographic your pushing the RSS at but its not mine.

Spyder Garage

Well, while I certainly enjoy my RSS (already got a ZX 14 and M109R) I wish BRP would make a ZR1 version of the Spyder. As I've said on numerous occasions: 200+ HP, 6 spd tranny, chain drive, 16, or 17 " rims, 125 lbs less weight, and defeatable traction control and VSS. Glad to hear someone else agrees with me. BRP...................where's our hot rod Spyders?

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DodgingRain View Post
    . . . I hate the way the back end looks . . .
    to get an RSS as it doesn't look nearly as awful from the back . . . .
    So you think the RT makes your butt look too big? You're a guy, right?

PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My Old, Sick, Lame and Tired eyes must be missing it...
    What did you buy?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well said and good luck to your new ride.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jerpinoy View Post
    Well said and good luck to your new ride.
    How about some pictures of the New Toy!!!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you bought a Spyder RS or RSS to be sporty, you're doing it wrong. It's never going to be the trike equivalent of a Ducati. It's a much better sports touring machine like the FJR or K1200GT.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    My Old, Sick, Lame and Tired eyes must be missing it...
    What did you buy?
    Ummm..............me to so WTF did you buy? We got all the reasons it is not a Spyder RS, and without pictures just can't believe ya.
    Last edited by Buttsy; 07-11-2013 at 02:38 PM.
    2011 RTS SM5

Spyder Garage

Good luck with your new ride.

Grumpy cat.jpg

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buttsy View Post
    Ummm..............me to so WTF did you buy? We got all the reasons it is not a Spyder RS, and without pictures just cant believe ya.
    Ya, pics or it didn't happen.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default That's why they make vanilla & chocolate

Will never go back to two wheels again, too many crazy drivers out there. Love the Spyder and will stick with it. Age is a state of mind (most of the time).
    What did you buy ??

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Saluda View Post
    Will never go back to two wheels again, too many crazy drivers out there. Love the Spyder and will stick with it. Age is a state of mind (most of the time).
    What did you buy ??
    I don't know about him being too young for a Spyder, as he forgot to tell us what he bought

really does not matter if a Spyder, two-wheeler, or cage. As long as you enjoy it. Ride safe.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Spyder Garage

I hear ya DodgingRain,

I like to ride my wife's RS around town but for any real length of trip, I will take my Valkyrie over it any day of the week.

Spyder Garage

Default Sadly..!!

many bikers expect the roadster to be a bike...you found out..it's not. Then some figure it to be a car..they also found out..it's not. This can best be explained like corrective eye surgery.. Mono-vision is correcting one eye to focus close in and the other for distance. Now your brain adjusts between the two for your mid range. Some people can adjust some can't. Now it is not the surgery's fault just like it is not BRP's fault either. Now if you can't adjust or are not ready I see no reason to run down the roadsters or their elated ryders. Hope your new ride (whatever it is) lives up to your expectations....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Overnite changes?

I picked up a second bike but not a spyder, sorry guys. I have a 2012 RT-S. I do like it and it's great for travelling distances but as a daily driver I just don't feel old enough to be on it, I hate the way the back end looks, there isn't much to do as a rider other than steer and press the gas, and its kind of slow especially in the corners even when leaning off the bike into the turn aggressively. I feel out of place on it being only 41 and not having a physical need that prevents me from being on 2 wheels (yah, I know, flame away, lol). I'm also tired of it shutting down the fuel on me when I push it through a turn and there is just too much plastic, almost 30k and its just covered with plastic a big portion of which isn't even painted the body color?? IhIISo I went shopping for a second bike. Originally I was going to get an RSS as it doesn't look nearly as awful from the back, it's quicker, and less of an old man's bike (duck and cover ). What killed me on the RSS is that I wanted the copper color and I wanted a 2012 and just couldn't find one that was within a few hours. Personally I think they made the 2013 RSS worse. BRP should have made the seating position more sporty instead of less, I think raising and changing the handlebars was an awful decision on their part when they already have 2 other models that are more for cruising with upright seating positions. I also don't agree with the changes to the cat in the exhaust. Then there is the price, the RSS is just to expensive at this point compared to an equivalent 2 wheeler. The RSS should be about 15 with the base RS around 14 which seems to be a set price point in the 2 wheeler world. So I'm still a spyder dude but most of the time I think I'll be on 2 wheels for the next 20-30 years unless BRP considers making a real sport model or I'm travelling or shopping and I'll leave the RT for the wife. And yes, I spent about 15 hours on an RSS over a weekend so I have a good idea how it handles turns, etc. compared to an RT. While my new 2 wheeler doesn't have any of the frills of the RT it was well under 1/2 the price of a RSS, almost a third of the price. Sorry BRP, I'm not sure what demographic your pushing the RSS at but its not mine.
    Did you not see all these things you just mentioned in this post before buying the RT-S? The things you mention were present before you bought it.....the way the rear looks, steer and press gas.
    If you ryde like there's no tomorrow, there won't be any
    Accidents hurt - safety doesn't

Spyder Garage

You are sure welcome to your opinion. Unfortunately, you are going to run into most of us that like our 's. You used a 22 line paragraph to mostly run down the brand. I kind of don't like that--but it's a free forum.

We are not all to old, to skinny/fat, or don't know enough about two wheels to realize that we bought a . There are a lot of people on this forum who have more experience than you will ever have on your two-wheeler--whatever it is.

A few have been drivers of 2-wheels for over 45 years and have owned at least that many bikes. I bought my first because it was new, and innovative. Four separate 's later, I am still happy.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 07-11-2013 at 03:18 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

What makes you happy is what you should ride period. Had a GS liked it, Got a RT like it more. Yes I thought about buying a Yamaha Bolt a few weeks ago for the 2 wheel feeling. Decided I would stick to 3 wheels only for several reasons, Can't say that I have anything bad to say about 1, 2, 3, or 4 wheels. If you like them ride them.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Not a Spyder

Dodgingrain

I think you are right, you are too young for a Spyder. But just look at the thousands of us that would be sitting home and wasting away if it wasn't for the Spyder. I couldn't even pass the regular motorcycle class. The had use walking a two wheeler up hill between our legs. It was about 100 degrees plus had asphalt on the parking lot and the parking lot was not level. I am now waiting for a 3 wheel course near by. Everyone I talk to I tell them you have to be at least 60 to buy a Spyder.

You didn't mention what you bought. I really hope you enjoy it and I would like to be around in 30 or 40 years I can't even imagine what the Spyder will look like. It probably come with a fuel cell that you never have to change and none of the parts will ware out. Anyway good luck and try to remember which bike you are on when you are on the road.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I still would like to know what you ended up with in your driveway...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I picked up a second bike but not a spyder, sorry guys.
    So, what did you buy? I can surely understand the desire to get back on two wheels. Matter of fact, I did the same thing. Earlier this year, I got to thinking that if I didn't get another two wheeler before long I might get too old to ride one (I turned 75 in March). I've always liked big singles (thumpers) and I ran across a BMW F650CS on ebay at a reasonable price. The F650CS is also shorter and lighter than most 650's so it fits me pretty well. My RT is the best 2-up machine I've ever owned and I'll never be on anything else for longer trips but the 650 is a blast to ride around on shorter trips and I've really enjoyed being on two wheels again. Cotton

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm pretty sure that your kids and any 20 something thinks that at 41 you are plenty old enough to ride a Spyder.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member MidLifeCrisis's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If I have to grow up to ride my RT, then I'm not interested!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

So...what did you buy??!!??
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Spyder Garage

Sniff sniff. I think me smells a troll.
    It's better to make your own plans than to be part of someone else's.