Spyder Garage

Default Yamaha comes at multiwheeling but its a bit bland

I had posted this in the thread of Another leaning trike http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-leaning-Trike but I guess not too many people are following that.

But here's Yamaha's idea of what they will do, looks like the have just added a Piaggio style front end to their 500cc Maxiscooter but they are claiming some "sporting" pretentions so we'll have to wait on that. But we do know its not the Tesseract or anything like it.

Will Can Am have their leaning trike out by then or is their amount of patents registered just an elaborate protection scheme??

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/news...i-wheeler-lmw/

Yamaha-LMW-Leaning-Multi-Wheeler-presentation-02-635x477.jpg

Spyder Garage

I'm always interested to see another mainstream manufacture doing things in the three-wheel market. Then too, a Spyder is a Spyder and whatever anyone else makes is their concept. While I've seen their patent filing for a 'leaning' suspension, I do not believe Can Am is hell-bent on adopting it, especially with the rapidly-expanding ownership on the Spyder as-is. Therefore, I would tend to agree with SXS that BRP/Can-Am filed the patent to leverage themselves in the market, vs. launch the Spyder into a new and different direction, but who knows.

Then too, while Can-Am filed a patent application for a leaning suspension, what kind of Spyder are they going to put on top of it? if my RT-S was to suddenly become a 'leaner', then the cavernous frunk would have to be trimmed away to some degree underneath, and on its front left and right sides so the front edges, bottom the little cunards don't hit the ground on a twisty. There's more to making a Spyder lean than just suspension. I just don't see leaning as latent in the Spyder's DNA .. at least Spyders as we currently know them. It would be a major re-design ... perhaps happening as we speak in the top secret Valcourt skunkworks.

The Yamaha concept, as are the Piaggios, are really a new type of motorcycle front end that started showing up in 2007 or so; not a triple tree, but not a trike either. I guess what I'm saying is that when one compares a trike like a kitted Goldwing or Harley, to a Piaggio or the Yamaha concept, to a Can Am Spyder, we are talking about three vastly different suspension systems between the trike, the dual-wheel front end and the Spyder roadster suspension, respectively.
    Last edited by SilverSurfer; 07-11-2013 at 07:37 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They've played around with this since the Tesseract showed up; I don't see them ready to take it anywhere just yet...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Yamaha is most likely taking care of the Japan market with this Scooter Trike. The Piaggio MP3 while not that successful in the US is very common in Japan and Europe. A 300-400 cc bike in those locations is quite a large motorcycle. Most of Asia rides 125-250cc bikes. I bet if it is successful in a few years you will see the same technology applied to an even larger version for the US market.

Spyder Garage

What if the leaning Spyder was a 1/2 breed? That is it does not lean fully but partially. Enough to give it a more stable leaning feel cyclist are looking for but not a full knee rubbing lean......

They keep the VSS, etc but make it lean a little. So a combination of both really. Might be interesting if you ask me!

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Interesting idea but it may be a bit dangerous. What if you entered a turn too hot and exceeded the lean on the bike? I have seen some Piaggios in the local bike shop for sale with scratched up body work. The problem with a leaner is that they don't lean as much as a regular two wheel motocycle. I feel that a non leaner like the Spyder is more safe. If a leaner had total lean capability it would be really no different that a regular motorcycle. So it's kind of a catch 22 situation.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I believe that the Tesseract got noticed back in about 2007...
    Here are a couple of pictures...
    tessie 02.jpgtessie 03.jpgTessie01.jpg
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I believe that the Tesseract got noticed back in about 2007...
    Here are a couple of pictures...
    tessie 02.jpgtessie 03.jpgTessie01.jpg
    Thanks, Bob ... yes ... this is vastly different than Can-Am's 'Y' factor design, including suspension and body/fairing characteristics. Comparing the two is like apples and grapefruit. It's simply a different (albeit cool) concept I don't thnk Can-Am is going to follow. Then too, how viable would a big touring monster with the a 929 pound dry weight of an RT or Goldwing (920 pounds) be like on this platform? Don't see it, personally. I see Spyders ... especially the RTs, as reasonably comparable to Goldwing Trike packages, or other conventional trikes, insofar as what one buys them for. None o' those beautiful trike kits lean either.

Spyder Garage

I believe leaning trikes and static trikes to be two different sorts of motorcycles regardless of the amount of other wheels that may be applied as well.

When it comes to leaning trikes there is the Tremoto and the tumbleweeds. The Tremoto is a true kneedown capable machine with a 45 degree lean angles.

When it comes down to replicating a two wheel performance this is it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm not comfortable with right hand drive.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

Apparently the scooter shaped leaning Yamaha will make it to market in Fall. News over on that one.

Spyder Garage

The latest Tremoto is a another custom built a Ducati Hyper for a customer who had lost a leg (well he knows where it went...)

Ducati Hyper.jpg

There was also a custom built by a car maker to be a draw card at their Sema on a Triumph speed triple platform.

So there has been 6 individual bikes built now and one rebuild from version 1 to patent 2 specs.

We have to make that next step and while we look at finance paths we may test the market if possible just by putting say 3 same bikes together and putting them on sale, no hype, no press releases just put it on the net for passing interest particularly in trike sales area's and just see what kind of response we get.

Early next year then i may have the leave spider lovers for actually having more than an engineering interest in three wheelers it may actually be financial....