Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Track day

Spyder Garage

Default Track day

So I know I asked this a few years ago when I first acquired my spyder but now that there is a bigger spyder population I figured I would bring it up again.
    has anyone done a motorcycle track day on the spyder?
    i never got around to it as I originally did some leg work and some places seemed willing to work with me but I never got the whole FULL gear storm trooper outfit so I never went to one.
    How about all of you?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default TRACK DAY ? ? ?

Have you been under a ROCK ? ? ?.....They had a " Hugh " one at Spyderfest 2013.................3 hrs. + of unlimited DRAG RACING....I consider that a Track Day .........Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I put out a couple of feelers to a privately-ownd track outside of Monticello, NY, but they never answered my inquiries...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think for the most part, they (track owners) are not familiar enough with Spyders and the unknown potential for flipping one. Of course it's as likely to flip as a two wheeler to go down. Compared to bikes though, I think the number of Spyder owners wanting to track (not drag race) their rides is pretty small. Besides, I'd rather drag knee on my bikes, than even attempt to drag knee on a Spyder.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Have you been under a ROCK ? ? ?.....They had a " Hugh " one at Spyderfest 2013.................3 hrs. + of unlimited DRAG RACING....I consider that a Track Day .........Mike
    Nope knew about that but I had a different type in mind.
    i put feelers out a few years ago as well and they seemed open to the idea and at the same time hesitant due to the unknowns of the spyder back then.
    I just never addressed it and I know it generally is not suited to the spyder demographic but there is always a group interested in everything and anything.

Spyder Garage

Does the Dragon count?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

While not a track I think it should!

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I think a good place to give this a try would be at VIR (Virginia International Raceway). They have at least 2 charity events that our mustang club goes to. They allow just about anything on the track, but there is no passing. I have been there with 3 mustangs, and my lightning. Don't have any pictures of the roush on the track, but here are the other three.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My reservation with the Spyder would be under hard left/right chicane transitions. If you've ever lifted the inside wheel imagine doing that first one way and then the other. At some point physics will still overrule the nanny and flip the thing.
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Spyder Garage

Doesn't Daytona Bike Week count? BRP gets the track for all avaliable owners in the area...
    Also, the Spyder Ryder of America TN Valley Chapter got Barber Motorsports Museum and track to let us use their's last year. I understand we will try again for 2014 since logistics have not come fully planned for this year.
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    My reservation with the Spyder would be under hard left/right chicane transitions. If you've ever lifted the inside wheel imagine doing that first one way and then the other. At some point physics will still overrule the nanny and flip the thing.
    I think that's called, "Natural Selection..."
    As a species; we've always found the best ways to bugger ourselves up... Safety gear can't do it all!

Spyder Garage

Lets hope the dragon does not count as track riding and neither does a parade style lap on a track. I'm talking going out and pushing the spyder to the limits and yes even left right transitions (and yes I've lifted wheels).
    Just a different type of riding as I am an avid race fan and as much fun as bikes seem in those environments I wasn't sure if anyone has done similar with the spyder.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm a big proponent of track days. But not in the way that you think. Nobody wins a trophy or even a kiss from the umbrella girl at track days. It's a place where you can become one with your machine and learn to really ride it instead of just operating the controls. IIRC someone here posted a thread about attending a cornering clinic for trikes on his Spyder, and came away with a newfound skill set on getting the most out of his riding.
    JLohPhotos

Spyder Garage

Default track day...

Here's some video I shot at Barber Motorsports last year. During one of our events, SRA-TVC was able to get 5 laps on the Barber track in conjunction with another group.
    Dave
    Never leave well enough alone! (Raymond Loewy)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sinkhole View Post
    Here's some video I shot at Barber Motorsports last year. During one of our events, SRA-TVC was able to get 5 laps on the Barber track in conjunction with another group.
    Nice video.
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. 2017 GMC Sierra cc diesel. 2017 Arctic cat RR 137 ES

Spyder Garage

Is there an event like that planned for this year ?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARCTIC View Post
    Nice video.
    But it did occur to me, that a lot of folks on Spyders need some help finding apexes...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    But it did occur to me, that a lot of folks on Spyders need some help finding apexes...
    Exactly why track instruction can benefit from proper instruction, as it will help make riding twisties that much better.
    JLohPhotos

Spyder Garage

No one said it was about champagne trophies and the lack of umbrella girls

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

But knowing the basics about how to bend a bike into the twisties just makes riding more fun!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

But knowing the basics about how to bend a bike into the twisties just makes riding more fun!
    .. and SAFER, since you learn how to approach the different type of corners: increasing radius, decreasing radius, on camber, off camber, double apex, etc. with the Spyder more under control.
    JLohPhotos

Spyder Garage

Bob, I know where the apex is, but it's hard to hit when you've got drivers on both sides that are just puttering along and daydreaming. I spent most of the time looking in the mirrors.
    It would have been nice to be able to run the track with fewer cycles, and not be limited by a pace vehicle.
    Dave
    Never leave well enough alone! (Raymond Loewy)

Spyder Garage

I don't mean to be posting for her, but one of our members here on Spyderlovers, has run the track days several times at Council Bluffs, Ia. She is 2spyders, from Lincoln, NE and one of her albums is pics of her track days, http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=292
    Here is a link to the Mid America Motorplex home page.
    http://www.midamericamotorplex.com/2006/default.asp
    I think this is more or less like the track your talking about.
    Maybe 2spyders will see this thread, and post. or you could send her a PM.

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=sinkhole;656198]Bob, I know where the apex is, but it's hard to hit when you've got drivers on both sides that are just puttering along and daydreaming. I spent most of the time looking in the mirrors.
    QUOTE]
    I could almost SMELL your frustration; you'd start into a turn lined up real nice... and then have to play dodgeball with those that didn't know why they were there...

Spyder Garage

Bob, I know where the apex is, but it's hard to hit when you've got drivers on both sides that are just puttering along and daydreaming. I spent most of the time looking in the mirrors.
    It would have been nice to be able to run the track with fewer cycles, and not be limited by a pace vehicle.
    And that is a huge difference between a track day ride and a parade style lap.