Thread: mode button

Spyder Garage

Default mode button

I have a funny mode button( on gauge cluster) it seems to be broken or something it does not operate as per maual a few friends have tried but I am unable to pull up codes or change the clock without it going to khms or c ? can this be changed separately from the gauge cluster? if its not one thing its another

Spyder Garage

On the RS there is another (more reliable) mode button on the front of the left handlebar control.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default Let's see..!!

from your profile pic you have an RS/GS. We have an RS and the mode button on the back of the turn signal switch assembly works best. From there you can scroll through your mileage, trip A/B, hours and total hours on bike. If you hold the "S" button to long it will go into the setting mode..km/mph, c/f etc. If you tap it it will switch to temperature..hope this helps...!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default button

Ive used the handle bar button but im trying to set the clock as well as check codes no matter what I do I follow the manual inst it doesnt work me and 3 others tried?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I had a 2009 RS that also had a lazy dash mode button use the the handgrip button. Does not pay to get at the dash one for replacement unless something else goes.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fjcady View Post
    Ive used the handle bar button but im trying to set the clock as well as check codes no matter what I do I follow the manual inst it doesnt work me and 3 others tried?
    Do you understand that the procedure for checking active codes is different for the RS? Scroll to Total Hours on gauge using the mode button. While holding the mode button, press the High Beam Flash rapidly, 5 times within 2 seconds. Any active codes will scroll on display, or it will say "No Active Codes". The procedure for setting the clock is in your owners manual.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

What's the button on the back of right handlebar ? Mine does nothing ???

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by smporter420 View Post
    What's the button on the back of right handlebar ? Mine does nothing ???

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2
    That is the headlight override button (flash high beams). It turns on high beams momentarily when the engine is running, turns on the headlights momentarily when the ignition is off...so you can see into the trunk from the reflected light, and is used to manually pull up active fault codes in combination with other buttons. Your owners manual explains the normal functions.
    Last edited by NancysToy; 07-16-2013 at 06:54 AM.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    That is the headlight override button (flash high beams). It turns on high beams momentarily when the engine is running, turns on the headlights momentarily when the ignition is off...so you can see into the trunk from the reflected light, and is used to manually pull up active fault codes in combination with other buttons. Your owners manual explains the normal functions.
    So to pull codes on the RS are we using the high beam flash button on the left grip side or the little headlight button on the front of the right grip side? Thanks

Spyder Garage

Hes

He's referring to this one for scrolling through the mode menu and the "flash to pass" on the opposite side.
    Last edited by Tierhog; 07-16-2013 at 10:41 AM.

Spyder Garage

Angry No Codes Displayed

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Do you understand that the procedure for checking active codes is different for the RS? Scroll to Total Hours on gauge using the mode button. While holding the mode button, press the High Beam Flash rapidly, 5 times within 2 seconds. Any active codes will scroll on display, or it will say "No Active Codes". The procedure for setting the clock is in your owners manual.
    I tried this repeatedly today to find out why I have ABS Message... Bike started this morning then i tied in some lights that were already existing and now bike is throwing codes and won't let me start it up.
    Of course this would happen on the my vacation weekand the motorcycle shops are close on Mondays!!
    Last edited by DaDrkmysta; 07-21-2013 at 02:54 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Bringing up codes.

I have a 2008 GS SM5 and tried bringing up the error codes using the above method and it dosent work.

Spyder Garage

Remember the odometer must be on trip hours.... Then 5 presses...

Spyder Garage

5 flashes within 2 seconds. If the scree does not either show the codes or say "No Fault Codes" (or something like that), you didn't do it right...try again.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Question

Thread is a little old I realize... but my 2012 RS w/almost 10K trouble-free miles on it had the check-engine light come on late last night about 30 miles from home! Eeeek!

It seemed like everything worked fine but the light stayed on the whole way home. This morning I started it and let it idle for about 5 mins, no light came on and following the procedure here no codes will show up.

So, does the Check Engine light (or other error indicator lights) have to be actively lit in order to pull any codes up?

I'm about to ride it to a meeting this afternoon, going to put a little SeaFoam in the tank and top it off at a local station I always use and trust.

Thanks.

- Michael

Spyder Garage

Default Light vs Codes

The "active" codes will come up even if the light is not lit. Check engine light often comes on with heat issues, but that is not too likely this time of year. Your dealer can pull up the reason for your check engine light (inactive codes), but you cannot if there is not a current problem. Over filling the tank and having gas go into the canister can cause a check engine light. Did you perhaps over fill prior to the light coming on? That's all I've got. Good luck.
    Happy owner of Silver PE #1232
    All The Gear All The Time - ATGATT
    Gulf Coast SpyderRyders

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Michael211_2000 View Post
    So, does the Check Engine light (or other error indicator lights) have to be actively lit in order to pull any codes up?
    Yes. If the light goes out the fault status changes from active to occurred and you can not pull up a code on the display. The dealer can plug in and see the faults that have occurred.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Yeah it was cold out last night when the check engine light came on... mid-40's (cold for my part of Texas anyways). My tank was at about 1/2, I'd put gas in it earlier but had already ridden some 40+ miles and stopped and parked once then restarted to cross a street when I suddenly noticed I had an orange light on on my instrument panel and "Check Engine" started scrolling across my display.

I parked again for about 45 minutes and had dinner at a restaurant with some friends, hoped the light would have resolved itself somehow but almost immediately it came back on again and I drove home with it like that (about 30 miles distance, mostly at 55-60 mph). It seemed to shift fine and had good power, ran completely normal in fact except for the orange check engine light and scrolling message all the way home!

So, this morning I start it up to try to check the codes and the check engine light will not come on and no codes can be pulled (according to the instructions in this thread). I'm perplexed!

I rode about 10 miles this morning to local gas station to fill up again (I live in "the sticks"), the check engine light didn't come on for that initial 10 mile ride this morning. I then rode it to a lunch meeting and another meeting after lunch in Houston this afternoon, maybe 50 miles round trip total, and the check engine light never once came on again! I didn't add anything but fuel this morning either, I was in a rush and didn't have time to run in to get a can of SeaFoam and like I said the darned warning light was staying dark so...

Why would the darned thing have a check engine alert for over 30 miles one night, then the next day nothing for over 50 miles of riding? Talk about "ghost in the machine"!

Right now I have no ideas and see no point to taking it to a dealership to be checked unless the alert starts up again (I'll check for codes immediately if it comes on again!). This was about as weird as the fuel gauge occasionally going to 100% full (when I know for a fact the tank is less than 1/2 full!). I have another 2 years on extended BEST warranty left.

Thanks guys.

- Michael
    Last edited by Michael211_2000; 02-13-2015 at 10:31 PM.