Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default New-bee Seeking Advice

Greetings all,

This is my first post on this forum.
    Thanks to lamonster for help creating my account.

I am a motorcyclist of many years (decades) experience, but do not own a Spyder. Yet. I am considering an RT. I have been told things (by a salesman) that sound… possible. I am hoping for some knowledgeable people here to confirm or deny:

There are 5 computers onboard that control various functions (hence the long boot-up when first starting it).

A sensor under (or possibly wired into) the seat determines whether there is a passenger, and makes adjustments to the throttle/auto-transmission interaction.

Similarly, it "knows" if the trailer is in tow and makes engine adjustments.

After an all-day rental I commented that I had trouble learning to corner. I was thinking I simply needed more time in the saddle to become confident (I did a little over 200 miles on an RT basic), but was told the S and LTD models were better and could be adjusted to turn like either a Cadillac or a Porsche

Comments?

Thanks

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Niknak View Post
    Greetings all,

I am a motorcyclist of many years (decades) experience, but do not own a Spyder. Yet. I am considering an RT. I have been told things (by a salesman) that sound… possible. I am hoping for some knowledgeable people here to confirm or deny:

There are 5 computers onboard that control various functions (hence the long boot-up when first starting it).

A sensor under (or possibly wired into) the seat determines whether there is a passenger, and makes adjustments to the throttle/auto-transmission interaction.

After an all-day rental I commented that I had trouble learning to corner. I was thinking I simply needed more time in the saddle to become confident (I did a little over 200 miles on an RT basic), but was told the S and LTD models were better and could be adjusted to turn like either a Cadillac or a Porsche

Comments?

Thanks

I am a newbie myself (2013ST-SE5 since middle of June). The only thing that I can comment on for sure is that there is definitely a "trailer mode" that can be switched on or off. Ours was set up in the "trailer mode" and once we figured it out and switched to "normal mode", it made a world of difference in how the tranny shifted up & down. You switch this mode via the on screen computer.

As far as turns go, I think that the more you ride, the easier it gets. You need to build confidence in the and your riding skills and before you know it, the turns get easier.

Oh, one other thing, I believe the ST is the only choice where the handlebars are set so that you sit more upright in the seat .

Ben

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

to the best place to get all your questions answered!

Others can better answer about the technology of the computers and sensors, so I'll not address them.

My 2011 RTS doesn't 'know' there's a trailer in tow, unless I tell it so. There is a trailer setting that I can engage or not, as I choose. I haven't heard of this changing for later models, but if it has, someone will let us know.

As to cornering, all the RT models should handle alike, so the RTS or Ltd won't be any different from the basic RT in that regard. But there are several threads on this site about cornering. The first time I rode a Spyder, my focus kept jumping from controlling the machine to hanging-on and back again. The Spyder won't lean like a 2-wheeler, so you have to adjust your own weight in a turn. After I got the hang of that I was OK. As you ryde more, you will get better at it. Also there are after-market things you can add that will make the twisties easier, like BajaRon's anti-sway bar. Like the other questions, there are many other options and you'll hear all about them here.

Pleased to meet ya, and have fun learning about all things Spyder.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Niknak View Post
    Greetings all,

Comments?

Thanks
    You can download an owners manual here. Reading it front to back will be worth your time.

http://www.spyder.brp.com/au/owner-c...erators-guides

Once you're done there. Read this. It will make more sense once you have a reasonable understanding of what has been presented in the owners manual.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...t=DO%27S+DONTS

Then.....with this new found knowledge - go back and take another test ride.
    Last edited by Jeriatric; 07-09-2013 at 05:44 PM.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default I too am a long time "life long" rider of 2 wheels

I bought a used CANAM SPYDER GS/RS 1 year ago in October....because my wife said I was getting to old to ride
    I tested one out to see what it was like, but that does not help you much.
    I bought the one I have now as a test to see if I wanted to ride this type of
    vehicle..... after 56+ years on 2 wheels I can tell you the Can Am is NOT a motorcycle it does not
    ride, handle, look like, a motorcycle however with riding practice "several hundred miles" you will grow
    to love it. At first you will wonder how you can do so bad at herding the thing around it is like going from
    a sports car to driving a BUS.
    But after you get the hang of it, it is one hell of a good time, yea it has a bunch of electronics in it but
    so does your car and most any new bike you get so that is the wave of the future, so hop on ride it like
    you stole it and enjoy it.
    Dave "life long rider"

Spyder Garage

The passenger seat sensor adjusts the braking bias and traction control.

Trailer mode is not sensed...it must be set by the rider.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Do you have any seat-time on ATVs or snowmobiles? They probably offer the closest feeling that a Spyder offers.
    It takes time and miles to gain confidence and comfort; it's worth it!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

RE: but was told the S and LTD models were better and could be adjusted to turn like either a Cadillac or a Porsche.

This guy must have been a used car salesman in a previous life. If you buy from him, I would made sure to get anything he special offers, in writing on the purchase contract.

That said: previous posters have most of your questions answered. There is a learning curve on rydeing the , and most find it takes between 500 and 1000 miles of seat time. The longer you drove two wheels, the more miles you need to "unlearn" some things.

You have come to the right place to get answers to all of your questions. Let us know if you decide to become a owner.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome..!!

We have an RS with no bells or whistles..don't think there are five computers on board but there are a lot of sensors. The seat sensor as you have read, you have a lot in the steering and leveling and balance. You will read a great deal about the "Nanny" which is the computer that keeps you from getting to wild or losing it (control). Those 200 miles only wet your interest and tested your ability to adjust. The next 200 will get your skills up and running and you will be off and taking the long road home..hope to see you on the road..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default new bee also

Hometown: martinsburg

Re: Pros and Cons

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2013, 12:16:56 AM »

I will try to keep this short and to the point but that is going to be hard to do.We had a trip planned with 10 of our buddies.[ Harley riders ] for a western ride.Shipping our bikes to Las Vagas.flying out on the 15th and riding home.The red head [ the lady that has been riding with me for the last 4 years ]called me on memorial day and said she was going to buy a can am.If I wanted her to go on the trip,we were going to take the can am.She picked out a yellow rts.went home ,about 40 miles,went to the bank and took 30,000+ from her savings and went back to pick up the bike.Left the dealer ship about 4pm and headed home with me riding this thing.about a block from dealer ship I had to sop for gas.The red head was hot,30,000 and send you off with an empty tank.Dropped down on I70 east,the thing went into limp mode.got off at next exit and called dealer ship.they said limp back here so we did at 30mph on the free way.ABS fault.Went home without the bike.They called Friday and said it was fixted.Back to pick it up.The red head raised hell about the gas tank being empty so they gave her a $50.00 gift certificate.On the way home I thought Ralpf Nader could rite a two volume book about how unsafe this thing is.We rode 600 miles the first week so we could get the first service done before leaving on our trip.The spyder would not fit on the truck with the other bikes so I made the decision to ride to Las Vagas by my self.I am 73 years old,been ridding for 55 years with several 1000 mile days over the years.Piece of cake,2000 miles and three days to get there.I didn't realize I would have to stop and gas up about every 120 130 .Three days later I was in Las Vagas.hated the first day,the second day was a little better by the third day I was loving the ride.Met the red head and my buddies in Las Vagas on sat. and the fun began.5,080 miles in 18 days.The only problem was the check engine light came on.the next stop,I took the key out for about 5 min,started back up,no problems after that.On the way out,2020 miles,28.8mpg.on the way home we averaged about 33mpg.Have I told you how much I love this yellow bird.what a great and fun bike.Looking forward to our next ride.

Registered Users WV Spyder Ryder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

from one new bee to another. More saddle time is a good thing. As 2 wheel rider to 3 wheels was a bit different. Look through the curves, anything else from2 wheels forget. Try to relax let the spyder do the work.

Bruce

Spyder Garage

Great story. Glad you didn't give up.
    And welcome to the hood.

Spyder Garage

Default my last post needs some explnation

I had posted this on spyderridersohio and just copyed this from that post and pasted it here.some other information didn't get deleated from that web site.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

There are 5 computers onboard that control various functions (hence the long boot-up when first starting it)
    Well if you count all of the computer functions you could say there are five. Here they are: 1) Fuel Injection, 2) Electronic Ignition, 3) Ride Control, 4) Traction Control, 5) ABS Brakes. They are controlled by many sensors in the wheels, engine etc by the main central computer.

Yes there is a sensor under the seat for passenger detection. You can see the wire leading to it when the seat is raised.

Similarly, it "knows" if the trailer is in tow and makes engine adjustments
    You have to switch trailer mode on using the mode and set buttons. The trailer mode raises the shift points both upshifting (5,000 rpm) and downshifting (4,000).

S and LTD models were better and could be adjusted to turn like either a Cadillac or a Porsche The S and LTD models are only different in trim levels and optional equipment. They are all the same under the skin as far as Engine, Transmission and suspension. There are two types of transmission available the Automatic clutch and the manual clutch. In both cases you have to shift (paddle shifter on the handlebars for the auto with no clutch lever and a foot gear lever for the manual with a handlebar clutch lever). With an after market sway bar, replacement shocks etc. all the Spyders will handle better than a Caddy or a Porsche. They are in my opinion the best handling of all of the current Trikes on the market. They are complex and they take a bit of getting used to but worth the effort.

Hope this helps you out.

Spyder Garage

Processors (computers)...

Display cluster
    Engine Control Module
    Vehicle Control Module
    Transmission Control Module (SE5)
    Windshield / Parking brake Module (RT)
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thanks I did not know that they were separate!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for all for the kind responses, everyone. I admit that I am a little surprised that what I am hearing from you all mostly confirms what I was told, or pretty close. And too, I may not have remembered everything exactly right, or just misunderstood some of what I was told by the guy who wants to sell me a Spyder. Either way, I feel encouraged that he didn't just give me a bunch of bullsh… err… I mean lawn fertilizer.

Most of the 200+ miles I put on the rental RT were highway miles at around 70 mph with my wife on the back. We are going to do it again soon, but next time we'll spend more time on the lazy country roads: I think I hear the twisty and scenic Kancamagus highway calling me!

Now if we can just get a nice, sunny day around here.

Spyder Garage

I believe there also is a sensor that adjust the rear shock depending if you have a passenger or not on the higher trim levels. The RT is never going to handle like a Porsche, it won't let you do things like hang the back end out around a turn. It's more like a decent mid grade sport sedan if you harden up the suspension which does help the handling some. You can get into trouble with it at higher speeds if you really try hard or do something really dumb like slam the steering to one side doing 70 but in general it the computers do a good job of keeping you out of trouble, more so then is really necessary. And yes, it does take quite a while to adjust to the handling, a good thousand miles or two, think of it more as a snowmobile or a jet ski than a motorcycle when you drive it. Its a good vehicle if handling a two wheeler is too much or you don't want to have to think and do as much as on a two wheeler. Just remember it's not a two wheeler and is quite different so there are habits to break. The biggest difference I find is that it's much easier to deal with an RT in bad weather than a bike. I've been able to ride at least some of every month and that's in WI, that would be really hard on two wheels. I've also been in torrential downpours on the interstate at 80mph with no issues. The only negatives I think are all the plastic, not the best looks, the computers won't let me be as aggressive as I want, and the engine has trouble staying at temp when its much under 10 to 20 degrees F.

Spyder Garage

Your questions have been answered many times over. This is a great site for information and to have a chuckle or two.

As far as the ryde goes, I agree with a previous post. It is much more akin to riding an ATV that it is a 2-wheeler. The bike does not lean into the corner and you have to shift your weight instead of leaning. There are many posts where people are trying to become more comfortable with the switch. Some do and some don't. The main thing to remember is to relax, very light pressure with the knees and let the bike do most of the work. I have no issue with passing 18-wheelers going in either direction. You might get a small buffet but nothing that has ever worried me. In the twisties, common sense from your 2-wheeled days will help.

If you do decide to buy a I would ask questions on this forum, or others, about their experience with that specific dealership. From what I gather, the original setup they do on the bike makes a world of difference. My dealer did me good and I have only had one issue that was more of a manufacturing issue than a setup issue. My bike runs and handles well and I am very happy with it overall.

Good luck with your decision and hope to see you on the road at some point in time. Just be prepared for a 2-hour trip to the grocery store as you will be meeting a lot of new people who will be asking you questions about your new toy.
    Regards,
    BitSlayer

2015 Spyder RT Limited - Perl White
    - Having fun with my knees in the breeze