Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Ryding after dark

Last night my bro, Stoney Rodent, and I rode to a marina at Milford Lake. A band, John Doe and the Toe Tags , was performing on the dock, and a couple of our friends are in the group. Great music.

It was late afternoon when we rode out there, but dark when we rode home. I've not ever ridden my Spyder in the dark out of town, where there weren't a lot of lighted landmarks. The county road didn't have white lines on the edges, and it was really hard to navigate. The high-beams helped a little, though. But I think I'll limit my ryding to daytime, or at least in town after dark.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

You afraid the boogieman gunna get ya!

Spyder Garage

Next time you take it to the dealer, have them check the alignment of your lights. Also make sure they have weight on it ( close to yours ) when they check ( although I would think that is somewhat standard practice)...just a thought...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    Last night my bro, Stoney Rodent, and I rode to a marina at Milford Lake. A band, John Doe and the Toe Tags , was performing on the dock, and a couple of our friends are in the group. Great music.

It was late afternoon when we rode out there, but dark when we rode home. I've not ever ridden my Spyder in the dark out of town, where there weren't a lot of lighted landmarks. The county road didn't have white lines on the edges, and it was really hard to navigate. The high-beams helped a little, though. But I think I'll limit my ryding to daytime, or at least in town after dark.
    I feel the same way. I don't ride mine after dark if I can help it. I find the shutter type brights and dims a little clunky. I worry to much about deer and objects in the road.

Current: 2018 F3 Limited
    Previous: 2011 RT with 622 Trailer

Mods:
    F4 Customs 25" Windshield
    F4 Customs Air Wings
    Spyderpops Top Case/Seat Extender
    TackForm Phone Mount
    Lamonster Ram Ball Handlebar Mount
    Show Chrome Passenger Armrests

Spyder Garage

Changing out to HID on both the main lights and the fogs mad TONS of difference on my RT. There are comparison pics and how to pics - http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...l=1#post354746

In case that doesn't take you to the right place, go to My Mods; Phil's Mods; post #90

Phil, Tyler TX- from my iPad 7.5 using Tapatalk HD

Very Active Member Don in E Texas's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Adjust rear suspension?

I never did like riding at night on my 2008 Spyder == but my 2010 RT-S is not a problem. I feel that if the rear suspension is set at the softest level, the rear of the bike goes down some making headlights shine further down the road. Works for me. I'll be going home at midnight on my Spyder tonight.
    Did own: 2008, Red, SE5 - and 2010, Black, RT-S Premiere Edition Number 670
    Now Own: 2014 Black RT-S SE6

Spyder Garage

Default Can't agree more

I agree 200% with you and some others who posted here. We live in the rural area and yes, the headlights, including the fog lights on our RTS- are NOT as great as a regular car lighting system. Something I think BRP could improve on as well as other things. The shutter system just isn't as great.

We have had a couple close calls with deer especially towards dusk and it isn't even rutting season. Don't care to encounter one at all. Look at Lamont and his wife for an example.

I have ridden a couple times at night but going highway speeds etc., just do not feel that secure. Maybe it is because I am almost 52 and a diabetic and have weird eyes anyways- who knows.

I know a lot of great evenings in KS are good for rydes but I just don't feel like taking such a risk these days. (big sigh)

Thanks for the post--makes me at least not feel like I am alone on this one!
    2015 RT-Limited SE6-TricLED Fender LED's (Red and Amber), 3rd LED Brake Light/Tail Light, ISCI Handbrake with black small hands handle,Spyderpops Rock Guard. ,Can-Am Adjustable Wing Vents, Bumpskid, Bajaron's Sway-Bar with metal Heim Joints. Elkas Stage 2 Plus., TricLED Wide-VU Mirrors, TricLED Jumper Port, Laser Aligned!

Spyder Garage

Compared to other bykes I think the lights are really good. or maybe my other lights are just bad

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Showie View Post
    Compared to other bykes I think the lights are really good. or maybe my other lights are just bad
    My thoughts exactly..............
    2011 RTS SM5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DaveNur View Post
    I have some aircraft landing lights and was at one time thinking about trying to come up with a mount to put on the Spyder,
    Lol..........yes all you would have needed to come up with was a mount.
    2011 RTS SM5

Spyder Garage

I no longer ride at night in the country, if I can help it. I bought the upgraded lights for my base RT. they had a huge sale at the time. It helped, but I still do not feel real good about it.
    If you are not comfortable when riding, you probably are not a safe rider. Just my thinking.
    Oldman
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Patti,
    My lights were also pretty near useless... until I got the aiming points raised up enough! If you pop that middle panel off on both sides, there's an ajuster in there for your lights.
    (The panel is the one that's in the way when you're getting ready to check the oil level on your RTS...)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default TrkcLED's

Check out this short video on RT lights. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-LED%92s-Video

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    There are challenges to ryding after dark.

I live in the back of beyond.
    One of the things that made Glo & I really love the Spyder is ryding at night on these back roads.
    The second day we had it Glo woke me up at 3:10 AM and said "C'mon I want to go for a Spyder ride"

We rode until dawn.
    The next three days we did the same thing.

Deer and other critters have to be dealt with.
    But, the rewards are amazing.
    That warm air engulfing you.
    That big Rotax purring.
    You see distant lights.
    Whizzing by houses filled with people asleep and unaware of the fun we were having.

Glo giggled and I smiled.
    It made us feel like kids again.
    This sounds like a wonderful time.....

We don't know what we don't know...

2013 RT Limited
    2012 RT-622 Trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Changing out to HID on both the main lights and the fogs mad TONS of difference on my RT. There are comparison pics and how to pics - http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...l=1#post354746

In case that doesn't take you to the right place, go to My Mods; Phil's Mods; post #90

Phil, Tyler TX- from my iPad 7.5 using Tapatalk HD
    I had the dealer install the Limited's HID on my mine. It's great at night and I ride at night whenever permits. No problems at all.
    2021 Can Am Spyder Sea-to-Sky

Spyder Garage

I have to agree as well. My HIDs were a huge difference. Doubled my night viewing distance.
    2009 Spyder RS (non operational)
    2022 Spyder RT Limited
    2022 RT Limited , Carbon black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    There are challenges to ryding after dark.

I live in the back of beyond.
    One of the things that made Glo & I really love the Spyder is ryding at night on these back roads.
    The second day we had it Glo woke me up at 3:10 AM and said "C'mon I want to go for a Spyder ride"

We rode until dawn.
    The next three days we did the same thing.

Deer and other critters have to be dealt with.
    But, the rewards are amazing.
    That warm air engulfing you.
    That big Rotax purring.
    You see distant lights.
    Whizzing by houses filled with people asleep and unaware of the fun we were having.

Glo giggled and I smiled.
    It made us feel like kids again.
    I'm not sure what to say, Roger. I'm happy for you that your wife wakes you up at 3 am and you have so much fun ryding in the country. On the other hand, your wife wakes you up in the middle of the night . . . to go ryding?
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post

My high beams are fine, but the low beams are a VERY short distance. I just can't get used to that shutter, and the "line of infinite darkness" after that...

Very Active Member MidLifeCrisis's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Bright lights on a Spyder? The ones on my Spyder are basically worthless. Turning on the fog lights helps a little to light up the shoulder of the road but that's it. I have some aircraft landing lights and was at one time thinking about trying to come up with a mount to put on the Spyder, but since I'm getting rid of it, why bother?
    Aircraft landing lights..... on the road?
    Here's a link to get you a jump on your GW HID upgrade. Evidently, you'll need them....
    http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showt...oldwing-GL1800

So, when is that perfect machine of yours going to be done? We'll all want to run and hide, to avoid an inferiority complex. An exact time and date would be nice.

Troll.JPG

Spyder Garage

Well call me Batman then, because I mostly come out at night.

2012 Spyder RS S SE5 Magnesium, Power Commander V with Autotune, HMF Exhaust, Green air filter,
    TricLed/Custom Dynamics Led Project titled "Knight Rider"

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I love ryding at night, and the lights on my RSS may be to bright if that is possible. That said I am very wary of dear with the Spyder. When I had my Nomad I had loud pipes and used to get home from work at 5 in the morning and never had a problem with dear.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Early riding

I used to have to commute to work and was on the I-way by 0530 every day of the week. Riding or running in the early hours BS (before sunrise) is a very nice quiet time of the day.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Had our lights adjusted once.

After that we've always considered them better than average. A vast improvement over our older bikes.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear it Dave!
    Keep your chinstrap nice and tight!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

You're only as inferior as you allow yourself to be....

Taking delivery tomorrow. Doubt I'll see you around. Like I said in another post, the only Spyders I seem to see are those in showrooms and in the back of the dealership being worked on for some problem or another. You would think that with all of the prior knowledge available on tried and true two-wheel bike successes that BRP could have taken that information and applied it toward the Spyder to make an outstanding machine instead of a putting out - - in my opinion - - an apparent compilation of mistakes and poor design. With each new model year comes more posts of problems complained about, and in some cases, continuing problems. I owned a number of Gold Wings and NEVER did I have the problems with them that I did with this RT. In fact, I had NO problems with my Wings. Why change from a Wing to the Spyder? It "looked" like a neat concept and a machine I would enjoy riding, owning, and I would encourage other people to buy. Suggesting anyone buy one is the last thing I would do. And of course, this is my own opinion but I guess stating one's opinion on this website is not allowed. It's go along with the mob or else.... Since my Spyder is now history to me, so is this site. I would also like to add: Ride Safe!
    At least DaveNur got in one last Spyder bashing before his departure...