Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Smile new lazer alingment

I want to let fellow Spyder riders know that they have a new machine out that is better and more accurate at lining up the spyders. I have had my spyder for two years and I have been fighting with the steering and I have has it back to my dealer and was told nothing is wrong with it. Well two weeks ago I went to a bike rally in Johnstown pa and they always have the canam dealers there and I talked to one while I was there and told him about the problem with the steering and he told me about the new lazar machine he was getting and said to make appointment and it would check my alignment so I did and Saturday they put the machine on my spyder and come to find out the back wheel was 5/8 inch off so my bike was riding side ways and that was why I was having so much trouble with the steering. He was getting ready to check one of his new spyders to see if they we're off to. If you want to see if the alignment is off ask your dealer to check it for you if they have this machine . I am glad I talked to this dealer now my spyder runs good so far. If you live near Windber pa here is the dealer that I used they are supper nice and very knowledgeable of the Canam spyder: Truimph of Windber Can-am

1-814-467-4830

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder11 View Post
    I want to let fellow Spyder riders know that they have a new machine out that is better and more accurate at lining up the spyders. I have had my spyder for two years and I have been fighting with the steering and I have has it back to my dealer and was told nothing is wrong with it. Well two weeks ago I went to a bike rally in Johnstown pa and they always have the canam dealers there and I talked to one while I was there and told him about the problem with the steering and he told me about the new lazar machine he was getting and said to make appointment and it would check my alignment so I did and Saturday they put the machine on my spyder and come to find out the back wheel was 5/8 inch off so my bike was riding side ways and that was why I was having so much trouble with the steering. He was getting ready to check one of his new spyders to see if they we're off to. If you want to see if the alignment is off ask your dealer to check it for you if they have this machine . I am glad I talked to this dealer now my spyder runs good so far. If you live near Windber pa here is the dealer that I used they are supper nice and very knowledgeable of the Canam spyder: Truimph of Windber Can-am

1-814-467-4830
    Too bad I do not live near there.

My tech and I were recently talking about the back wheel alignment being a potential problem.

The discussion stemmed from early wear on my back tire, and the fact my belt wants to ride-up against the flange.

We made some manual adjustments as best we could, and "things" improved; however I am certain many Spyders suffer this problem to one degree or another.

Hopefully someday we'll have someone with that unit around my area.

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2011 Viper-Red Spyder RT SE5 & Trailer
    2017 HD Ultra Limited
    Former Rides: 2014 HD Ultra Limited; '04 Kawa Nomad; '09 HD Ultra-Classic; and many Hondas through the years.
    Spyder Newbies Do's & Do Not's: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Spyder Garage

1-814-467-4830
    Thanks so much for the info. It is only 96 miles or so from me. I will ask my dealer first and if he doesn't have it i will be going over. Is there a name for this type of alignment? Is it expensive?

Spyder Garage

Cost of this alignment process?

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

Default Just a thought...

Hmmmm, I don't know what they're referring to when they said 5/8" out of alignment on the rear wheel. The rear swing arm is on a single pivot, and the axle/wheel are aligned with the sprocket on the engine to maintain clean tracking of the belt. For the rear wheel to be that far out of track you should have experienced belt runoff. The only things that should cause rear wheel misalignment are a bent fork, misaligned fork pivot mounts, or an engine that's skewed on it's mounts... and even then you would need two of these conditions to occur to keep the belt in track.
    Dave
    Never leave well enough alone! (Raymond Loewy)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default MIS-ALIGNED ? ? ?

With Sinkhole ......And 5/8 is " HUGH " in terms of alignment.....Mike

Spyder Garage

1-814-467-4830
    Here is more info about this ....I am going to check it out. http://www.spydercomfort.com/alignment.htm

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post
    There was a Spyder rider and his wife at Maggie Valley pushing their laser alignment process. He said it was $100...or free if we didn't think it made a difference. They were from the Daytona, FL area. Someone on this forum may know them or saved their card.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderMouse22 View Post
    Thanks so much for the info. It is only 96 miles or so from me. I will ask my dealer first and if he doesn't have it i will be going over. Is there a name for this type of alignment? Is it expensive?
    all they called it was a Lazer alignment and it was only $80.00 . I am sure there is a name for it but I didn't ask. They are really good people too. I only meet them twice and I had to travel two hours to get to them but it was worth it

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post
    $80.00 for the alignment

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OldDog View Post
    Is this new lazer alignment done at the factory now, given the earlier ball joint and alignment problems?
    Have no idea

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sinkhole View Post
    Hmmmm, I don't know what they're referring to when they said 5/8" out of alignment on the rear wheel. The rear swing arm is on a single pivot, and the axle/wheel are aligned with the sprocket on the engine to maintain clean tracking of the belt. For the rear wheel to be that far out of track you should have experienced belt runoff. The only things that should cause rear wheel misalignment are a bent fork, misaligned fork pivot mounts, or an engine that's skewed on it's mounts... and even then you would need two of these conditions to occur to keep the belt in track.
    I am not real good with mechanical things but he said my alignment was off 5/8 and I have had my belt adjusted several times and I know that I am not fighting my spyder like I was for TWO YEARS and I am glad I talked to this person.

Spyder Garage

I bought this tool after talking with the owner/inventor of it at the Owners event. The thing that sold me on it was it based on contact patch of the tires and not frame alinement. I'm going to be doing BajaRons Spyder and mine this week to see if it's off seeing we did both of these the old way. I plan on doing alinements here along with suspension upgrades and tuning here at Lamonster Garage to help pay for this tool. I think this will help with front tire wear too if it's scrubbing of the tires because the tires are not alined with the rear that are causing it. I'm not an expert on this but I plan on being one.

Spyder Garage

Default Very interesting

1-814-467-4830
    Thanks for the heads up

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool Been there

Here is more info about this ....I am going to check it out. http://www.spydercomfort.com/alignment.htm

I have been to the micro-align shop in Edgewater when they were first getting their feet on the ground. Mike is a very meticulous tech in that the day he checked my RTL out he did every step 2 to 4 times. Making sure that nothing was missed or inaccurate. Fortunately, I had a rare Spyder that week it was right on the specifications list.

His floorboards and other items are all prime products. No sharp edges, high quality materials, machine work and well thought out.

Spyder Garage

Default alignment...

I'm certainly not against a laser alignment procedure. I was addressing the statement about the rear wheel being 5/8" out of track. If your Spyder is that much out of track, there are other issues involved aside from front end alignment.
    Dave
    Never leave well enough alone! (Raymond Loewy)

Spyder Garage

Looks like you are on the right track Lamont. On the website they show a copy of the scrub sheet you get after they do the Spyder. They show you the old data compared with the new. Part of the sales pitch is extended tire wear. I can't wait to see some of the results.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    I bought this tool after talking with the owner/inventor of it at the Owners event. The thing that sold me on it was it based on contact patch of the tires and not frame alinement. I'm going to be doing BajaRons Spyder and mine this week to see if it's off seeing we did both of these the old way. I plan on doing alinements here along with suspension upgrades and tuning here at Lamonster Garage to help pay for this tool. I think this will help with front tire wear too if it's scrubbing of the tires because the tires are not alined with the rear that are causing it. I'm not an expert on this but I plan on being one.

Good to know Lamont! I don't think my 2010 RT has any front tire treadware issues, Am now pushing 18,000 miles and the fronts look good. No uneven ware that I have noticed and it looks as though there's another 8 or 10 thousand left for them. The back is the one I am concerned about. I replaced the first one at 12,000 with the OEM tire. The center was below the ware bars but still had good tread on the sides. I have lowered the pressure to around 25- 26 on this one but I still feel the center is waring two fast. Could the front alignment affect the rear this way? I can see how belt alignment can be right, but, if the front tires are aligned with each other, but going left, and the back is going right (meaning the frame) something is going to scrub. Glad to know your on this and I'll get in line to pay to have mine checked/verified when your ready.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post

SO When can I set an appointment?
    Putting NEW tires on in next week or so

Spyder Garage

Default ALIGNMENT !!!!

Watched the Video ,extremely interesting........No Mention of REAR WHEEL ALIGNMENT though ???????.....So where did the 5/8 come from ??????.....Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Watched the Video ,extremely interesting........No Mention of REAR WHEEL ALIGNMENT though ???????.....So where did the 5/8 come from ??????.....Mike
    The front wheels are alined with the rear wheel not the frame. If the belt is tracking right it should be pretty close but the motor can be off and the rear wheel adjusted to the motor so the belt tracks right. That's where the 5/8" come from and the alinement is being done over almost twice the distance so it is a lot more precise.

Spyder Garage

Talking

This isn't likely to be popular. But, why did it take someone on the outside to come up with something BRP engineers should have known all along. And, I'm not bashing BRP......it's just an honest observation.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Rear tire alignment has a lot to do with you mpg. If it's off it can lower your mpg up to 5+ mpg. That's IMHO.

Mike

Spyder Garage

Default ALIGNMENT !!!!

OOP'S
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 07-08-2013 at 09:53 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Is this being incorporated into the production line?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    This isn't likely to be popular. But, why did it take someone on the outside to come up with something BRP engineers should have known all along. And, I'm not bashing BRP......it's just an honest observation.
    I'm not bashing BRP......it's just an honest observation...

Is BRP implementing this on the latest 2013 models on the production line?