Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default 40 YRS AGO I LOST 2 PURPLE HEARTS + OTHER RIBBONS ETC.

40 yrs. ago I was going out with this young lady, & we broke up. I mistakenly left my Purple hearts, other ribbons, chevrons , and one of the dog tags I wore in Nam at her mothers house. A week or. so ago a UPS truck pulls up with a package for me. Wondering what it was, I opened the package. It contained everything that I had left those 40 yrs. ago. Now to be honest I had gotten an e-mail from her back around the first of May, the first time I heard from her since we parted. So I knew she had & was intending to send me what she had. Still I was amazed ad extremely happy that she had hung onto them and was willing to ship them to me. I guess there are still some really thoughtful and nice people left in this world we live in. Oh, she did ride a bike back then, a 450 Honda. Although she will not see this post, 'Thanks Again' goes out to her!!!!

Spyder Garage

Good deal Bob. Glad you got everything back.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for sharing a happy-ending to a story that is still being written!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default SIX WORDS

You may have parted with her, but she remembered what you did for all of US and our country. THANK YOU - WELCOME HOME - GOD BLESS... I served 1961-1965 (USAF).

Spyder Garage

Happy ending stories are always great to read. And--thanks for serving.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

This is a very common occurance...losing medals & awards but you can replace them for nothing at the link provided....http://www.archives.gov/veterans/replace-medals.html

Spyder Garage

My ex got rid of all my stuff.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972

Spyder Garage

Not one, but TWO purple hearts- WOW And thank you so much.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
    My ex got rid of all my stuff.
    Sooo... Where did you bury her?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Awesome!
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I wanted to. Believe me I was pi$$ed. Some of the unit patches I had collected are irreplaceable. Not to mention the hand and power tools that went away. I won't go in to the patches that were lost but will say that many of them were from NASA missions. One was certified to have been on the moon .

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by grumpybob View Post
    40 yrs. ago I was going out with this young lady, & we broke up. I mistakenly left my Purple hearts, other ribbons, chevrons , and one of the dog tags I wore in Nam at her mothers house. A week or. so ago a UPS truck pulls up with a package for me. Wondering what it was, I opened the package. It contained everything that I had left those 40 yrs. ago. Now to be honest I had gotten an e-mail from her back around the first of May, the first time I heard from her since we parted. So I knew she had & was intending to send me what she had. Still I was amazed ad extremely happy that she had hung onto them and was willing to ship them to me. I guess there are still some really thoughtful and nice people left in this world we live in. Oh, she did ride a bike back then, a 450 Honda. Although she will not see this post, 'Thanks Again' goes out to her!!!!
    40 years ago. WOW!! That says a lot about this person.

Spyder Garage

I mistakenly left my Purple hearts, other ribbons, chevrons , and one of the dog tags I wore in Nam at her mothers house.
    Good to hear. Thanks for your service, brother.

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That a happy ending story and I do hope you will reach out to thank her again, do not think she will she it here.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Littlebadwolf View Post
    This is a very common occurance...losing medals & awards but you can replace them for nothing at the link provided....http://www.archives.gov/veterans/replace-medals.html
    The Purple hearts couldn't be replaced. Here is why. The two she sent me were made before the gov't changed the spec's. These two actually have real gold in them and the purple has a piece out of it to signify a piece of you was taken when you were wounded. The gov't changed the spec's and stopped using gold because it was to expensive. The replacements I did get also do not have a piece of the Purple missing. This is what I was told way back when. When we broke up she moved to California, I think. I was also not to easy to find. She happened to run into a mutual friend of ours from back then an he knew I lived in Fulton. She then somehow was able to search and find my e-mail address. Sure glad she went thru the trouble.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

http://www.va.gov/opa/publications/c...rple-heart.pdf.......http://www.thepurpleheart.com/faqs/.....http://www.homeofheroes.com/valor/re...nt_medals.html.....http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.c...ng/unitrec.htm.........Tell you what...Send me a private email giving me the ssan of the person who needs it replaced and his period of service and I'll guarentee that I'll get a replacement sent...I'm still a commissioned personnel officer, retired, that has access to all military records and i"ve got them replaced for more people than I can count. I'm also a certified and trained Veterans Service Officer for the VFW & American Legion... All I need is the recipients permission to access thier records. I had all mine replaced after we lost everything in a house fire to include the Legion of Merit and the Bronze Star...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purple_Heart
    Last edited by Littlebadwolf; 07-06-2013 at 05:19 PM.

Spyder Garage

http://www.va.gov/opa/publications/c...rple-heart.pdf.......http://www.thepurpleheart.com/faqs/.....http://www.homeofheroes.com/valor/re...nt_medals.html.....http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.c...ng/unitrec.htm.........Tell you what...Send me a private email giving me the ssan of the person who needs it replaced and his period of service and I'll guarentee that I'll get a replacement sent...I'm still a commissioned personnel officer, retired, that has access to all military records and i"ve got them replaced for more people than I can count. I'm also a certified and trained Veterans Service Officer for the VFW & American Legion... All I need is the recipients permission to access thier records. I had all mine replaced after we lost everything in a house fire to include the Legion of Merit and the Bronze Star...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purple_Heart
    Already had them replaced. The only thing I am missing is a Naval Citation and a Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry. The last I heard the Naval Citation was on backorder and I have never tried to get the VCOG. I do have the Vietnamese Unit Cross of Gallantryour unit was awarded.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by burg650 View Post
    That a happy ending story and I do hope you will reach out to thank her again, do not think she will she it here.
    I don't think she will see it here, although back in the early 70's she did ride a Honda 450. It sure is a happy ending.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by burg650 View Post
    I don't think she will see it here, although back in the early 70's she did ride a Honda 450. It sure is a happy ending.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Already had them replaced. The only thing I am missing is a Naval Citation and a Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry. The last I heard the Naval Citation was on backorder and I have never tried to get the VCOG. I do have the Vietnamese Unit Cross of Gallantryour unit was awarded.
    If you have any problem Bob...Let me know...I can get them for you...What I do since I retired...Voluntary Veteran's Service Officer for the VFW & American Legion. I can also help with delayed claims and medical appointments...Larry

Spyder Garage

thats a great story - thank you for sharing it

welcome home and thank you

vietnam_vets_us_army_patch.jpg
    1. it is what it is - 2014 Black RT-S - Baja Ron Anti-Sway bar, lots of LEDs, Spyderpops Skid Plate, Twisted Sister HID Driving Lights, Tricled 2nd, 3rd & 4th brake lights, F4 Customs vented windshield, Lamonster highway pegs, Ultimate Tall Boy seat, Utopia backrest

Spyder Garage

If you have any problem Bob...Let me know...I can get them for you...What I do since I retired...Voluntary Veteran's Service Officer for the VFW & American Legion. I can also help with delayed claims and medical appointments...Larry
    I will PM you in the next day or two maybe you can answer a question for me about a claim We filed on my son because of spine problems we think are caused by Agent Orange that I passed on to him. He is now unable to work because of the pain he's in, and the drugs he now has to take. I will get the claim # so I can send it to you. If you could help that would be great, if not it is great that you offer. The medals aren't a priority for me as I can fill out a form from Medals of America and order them. They will check my Service Record, and then send them out.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Ok Bob....Get in touch with me...We'll handle this through PM's....Larry

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Larry,
    Thanks for getting involved and helping Bob out!

Spyder Garage

Glad to hear you got those back , WELCOME HOME BRO !!!

US Army 66-69, Nam 67-68 1 Inf Div