Thread: Helmet Lights

Spyder Garage

Default Helmet Lights

I bought a pair of helmet lights from http://www.lawstcaws.com/. They were a breeze to install and look pretty sweet! The idea is to increase visibility to other drivers and for yourself. I found it really helps read maps and other goodies not illuminated by the console.
    I found no distraction from having the lights in my helmet. I did test them in the rain and I've concluded you should have them off when it's wet to avoid the glare.

I'd love to see Magic Man get a hold of these and do them right with different flashing modes. :-*

"I <3 attention!"
    -DD

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Re: Helmet Lights

Cool!!!
    Bug eyes!!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daddydarko
    I bought a pair of helmet lights from http://www.lawstcaws.com/. They were a breeze to install and look pretty sweet! The idea is to increase visibility to other drivers and for yourself. I found it really helps read maps and other goodies not illuminated by the console.
    I found no distraction from having the lights in my helmet. I did test them in the rain and I've concluded you should have them off when it's wet to avoid the glare.

I'd love to see Magic Man get a hold of these and do them right with different flashing modes. :-*

Since they are on your helmet I wonder if that get around the no boue or red lights on the front of a vehicle law in Michigan (other than emergency and law enforcement) Or would they bust you and say you are part of the vehicle in these circumstances. It would be interested to see how that fight turned out if they tried to ticket you for it. I would think flashing would be worse than steady on. Good luck to you.
    With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.
    Happy Ex Owner, Hopefully future Spyder owner again.
    Pastor Deb Tangen, Missions Director and short term missionary.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Are these legal in the states? I don't think I have ever seen anyone using them.

Very Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

From what we have found blue or red lights facing directly forward like this is just asking for trouble in almost every State except PA, MD or DE which allow such use.

Different Cops will have different takes on just how strict they want to enforce these laws, but out in the open like this is not something I would run myself in red or blue.

Now amber would be fine in all states as amber "marker" or "clearance lights" are legal in all states facing forward.

A case could be made for you are marking the height of your helmet top as a marker light.

MM
    [URL="http://www.esicycleproducts.com/"]

Spyder Garage

Regarding the legality- I can't imagine being pulled over for them. Cop would have to be a real :edit: . Heck, car stereos shed more exterior light!

Michigan has some stupid nanny laws but I've found the police don't enforce the ones that endanger bikers. I'm not worried in the least turning these on anywhere.
    "I <3 attention!"
    -DD

Spyder Garage

Daddy,
    I agree with you 100%.Anything to increase your chances of making it home safe should be a no brainier. That is why PA, DE, MD allow

But we have had customers who have lights shinning directly beneath there bikes in blue and or red pulled over and either hassled or ticketed for those colors. So go figure?

I truly believe it all depends on the Cop and the "mood" he is in at that momnet in time. There seems to be no consistent way this is being done at all by local law enforcment.

MM

Spyder Garage

THE MARTIANS HAVE LANDED!

My supposition is that they would not fly in AZ either. (pun intended) ;D
    pe 792; Hindle, performance filter, O2 mod, custom seat, NMN risers, F1 Slider, cowl vents, cold air induction, Triple play, Tipz kit, highway pegs, Kury ISO pegs, grips and throttle lock, 3 gal aux Tour Tank on custom rack.

Spyder Garage

The company claims they are fully street legal. Companies never lie so it must be true! :cop:

"I <3 attention!"
    -DD

Spyder Garage

I'd be reluctant to wear red lights facing forward, regardless of the legality in any given State, for fear that someone would mistaken them for tail lights and hit you head on.

Happy Spyder Owner - 2008 Millennium Yellow PE #2475
    HID lights, fog lights, Hindle exhaust, heated grips, anti-vibe bars, passenger extension pegs, BRP custom seat, seat cowl, sport rack/backrest, BRP saddlebags, CHAD black/smoke windshield, outdoor cover, Garmin Quest GPS, Rear axel billets.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Man
    Daddy,
    I agree with you 100%.Anything to increase your chances of making it home safe should be a no brainier. That is why PA, DE, MD allow any light any color as long as it's not flashing on a bike.

But ,we have had customers who have lights shinning directly beneath there bikes in blue and or red pulled over and either hassled or ticketed for those colors, so go figure?

I truly believe it all depends on the Cop and the "mood" he is in at that momnet in time. There seems to be no consistent way this is being done at all by local law enforcment.

MM

Spyder Garage

I work with a local member of the PD and we discuss this in depth. I told him I drove 60 miles in a storm with my red LEDs on to help to be seen. I asked him if he would've pulled me over and he said "absolutely not". First, they tend to cut bikers slack because no one wants to see us get T-boned. Second, they really only use enforcement of the light laws for vehicles that are otherwise suspicious (i.e. thumping bass, tinted windows, etc). He said to simply be cool if you are pulled over and 99% of law enforcement will let it fly.
    "I <3 attention!"
    -DD

Spyder Garage

Has anybody here seen the wireless brake lights that go on the back of your helmet? Talk about visibility!

Spyder Garage

This is all new to me. The wireless brake lights sound interesting. I am hesitant to put anything that projects in the slightest onto my helmet. Even today's built-in vents scare me a bit. If you go down, you certainly don't want the helmet snagging on something and breaking your neck.
    -Scotty
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Lights are what we do for a living, so I have had many of my customers fill us in on the good, the bad, and the ugly out there on this topic.

I also know most home town police will be much easier on local folks overall. But, from what we have seen over and over again, just try to run these in Myrtle Beach, Daytona or almost anyplace that is a major rally location you find it's all about the $$$ and chances are you will find they don't take so kindly to blue or red facing forward on any vehicle.

Remember your $$$ is of more interest to many of these rally cities than you safety I don't care what they say. Lighting tickets are easy $$ and are ones most out of town folks just pay without a trial or fight.

MM

Spyder Garage

here in florida the law states if you are amitting a blue or redlite even amber from the front you can get a ticket i dont think the helmet lites are going to be legal i dont want to find out the hard way bad enough paying high gas prices paying a ticket for some lites on your helmet is really dumb i think ill pass on those

Spyder Garage

I think we'd scare the cops with those!