Spyder Garage

Default Rivco driver floorboard install help 2012 RS

Ok so I feel a bit silly but I need some help with the rivco driver floorboard install. I tried to install them today and only made it to step two before running into an issue. Step two is when you remove a 15mm nut from the bolt attached to the engine case so that you can remove the bolt and replace it with the one provided. Hears the issue, I can't get that nut to budge. The second problem is the only tool I can get in there is a box end wrench. There isn't enough clearance to use anything else. Am I missing something? I couldn't even get a regular socket wrench on the nut because the socket wasn't deep enough. The deep socket however is too long and won't clear the assembly directly across from the nut. I'm not a huge guy and I just can't figure a way to get enough torque to break it loose without a power tool of some kind. How did everyone else that has them get those two nuts loose. There is one on each side of course. It looks like if I can get those two nuts off the rest of the install is very simple. Any help is appreciated.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default floorboard install

If the other end of your wrench is openended try anther box end wrench on the openended side to give you more leverage.

Very Active Member cyclelover63's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If I remember right,I tapped the handle of the box end wrench with a hammer...Also,I think on the right side,I took off the nut,but didn't switch bolts..The one in there was long enough to get a full nut on..I kept checking and it never did loosen any,then I traded the 2009 GS..

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Just keep at it, it's hard to get off but
    it will come off, use the longer bolt
    your going to love the Rivco boards
    I hope you got the road peg mounts
    as well they are the best
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by cyclelover63 View Post
    If I remember right,I tapped the handle of the box end wrench with a hammer...Also,I think on the right side,I took off the nut,but didn't switch bolts..The one in there was long enough to get a full nut on..I kept checking and it never did loosen any,then I traded the 2009 GS..

Spyder Garage

I had the Rivco floorbards on my 2010 RSS and loved them. I cheated on the install and had dealership install them.

Bill

Spyder Garage

Ok I got both frame bolts off. It's amazing what a hammer and some "TLC" will do. Lest side basically done. Now I have a new problem. I can't figure out how to get the replacement right side bolt in. The only access is all the way on the left side and in order to line the bolt up the head has to clear the hex he'd on the left side. Once I clear that I can't hold the bolt so it falls again. It can't be as hard as I am making it. Thanks in advance for some more help

Spyder Garage

Finally got them installed. Getting the new bolt in the right side mount was tough. I ended up feeding a shoe lace through the mount and super gluing one end to the bolt. Once I did that I simply pulled the string until the bolt hit the mount. Then I just used a screwdriver to lift the bolt head to straighten the bolt and gave the last another yank. The bolt pops right through. Last you just give the string one last yank to pull the lace from the bolt. The trick is to not get any glue on the bolt threads and not to let it set up too long so that you can pull the lace off the bolt

Anyway it's all done. Now I just have to get used to my foot being below and in front of the brake.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373225856.290078.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1373225871.964087.jpg