Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Hands falling asleep

Took my longest ride yet on Spyder. It was fantastic!! Lots of twisties. ;D The only problem was my hands kept falling asleep - especially the right one. :-[ :-[ I have cruise control and that helped to give relief at times. Anyone have any suggestions to relieve this? Thanks.
    Happy SM5 Owner
    Mods: Evoluzione PowerBus & air filter, sway bar, Kewl adjustable risers, highway pegs, back rack, Givi trunk & side bags, Crampbuster, Heatroller, Autocom intercom & 2 way radio, McCruise cruise control, No Magic Triple Play brake lights, fender tip & mud flap lights, Givi bag lights,
    mirror extensions, Russell Day-Long Saddle, C.H.A.D., Oxford heated grips.

Spyder Garage

Default Re: Hands falling asleep

I've gone on many-a-long-ride and never had my hands fall asleep. Sounds like you may need to adjust your riding position and/or posture.

If it keeps occuring,especially with morning symptoms of numbness and tingling,and you have risk factors of repetitive hand use,diabetes,obesity,arthritis etc... you may have carpal tunnel syndrome(CTS).A condition caused from pressure or damage to the median nerve that runs through your wrist joint.
    Existing CTS can be aggravated by sleeping with wrists in a bent position,then when you wake up,you shake them to "get them awake."
    Most people assume (incorrectly) they have a blood circulation problem,when in fact it's a crimped nerve problem.
    "I <3 attention!"
    -DD

Spyder Garage

I had that problem at work and on my Harley. Go to the drugstore and buy one of those wrist braces and wear it to bed and wear it during your normal day routine (don't wear it riding though). In a week I was fine. It comes and goes so I just wear it when it acts up. I don't have carpel tunnel but I have some disc problems in my neck - doctor said it was causing my hands to fall asleep/tinglies - also got one of those swedish temperpedic pillows - that also helped alot. Takes some getting used to sleeping on it but it helps.

Spyder Garage

hmmm, same problem but I don't want to add cruise control. I bought a throttle rocker and really noticed the benefit. Just a cheap plastic do-hicky, but well worth the money. My husband borrows my bike sometimes and agrees that this makes a big difference!

http://www.throttlerocker.com/info.html
    Carol Smead
    2010 RTS Blue, gone but not forgotten
    Former owner of 2008 PE #1032 Yellow

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Our recent 600 mile trip was made much more comfortable with two CB2 Crampbusters.

http://www.crampbuster.com/

Like the Throttlerocker mentioned above, but without any velcro. $10.95 list price. :bigthumbsup:

Spyder Garage

Add one more vote for the Crampbuster / Throttle Rocker. I have one and it just makes all riding more comfortable, even the short 15 minute trips to work. :bigthumbsup:

However, if you have cruise control, the Crampbuster / Throttle Rocker would seem unnecessary to me. Are you riding with your right hand continuously on the throttle grip? I did notice even with the Crampbuster that sustained riding at 70+ MPH brought tingling to my hand due to vibration. I wonder if gel gloves or iso grips would help me out with that problem? If I had cruise control or some type of throttle lock, I would have just given my right hand a break every so often.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Spyder Garage

One trick I have learned, especially if you have a Throttlemeister or cruise control, is to change the position of your hands so the wrist is not bent, for a while. This feels unnatural at first, but really relieves the pressure on the wrists, and returns the feeling if you have carpel tunnel or neuropathy, like I do. I prefer to remove one hand at a time from the handlebars, shake it about, and allow feeling to return, but this is not always feasible. Keeping my wrists striaght, or even having the hands bend a bit downward, helps a lot, and still allows full control. It even places the gel pads in my riding gloves on the grip, which normally is not the case, since the pads are well back at the heel of the palm.
    -Scotty
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jeuchler
    Our recent 600 mile trip was made much more comfortable with two CB2 Crampbusters.

http://www.crampbuster.com/

Like the Throttlerocker mentioned above, but without any velcro. $10.95 list price. :bigthumbsup:

And I bought one of these and found out by accident that it made my spyder have cruise control I had it too far to the right and it would lock the throttle...good for the highway but could be dangerous.

Well worth the $10 though!
    ** Loving my 5th Can-Am Spyder since 2007! **

Spyder Garage

I'm waiting for Kewlmetal to get on that apehanger mod- that should help.

"I <3 attention!"
    -DD

Spyder Garage

Just a couple of other thoughts. 1) Loosen your grip, if you are holding too tight. 2) Bar end weights or a bar snake available from Manic Salamander and other vendors will reduce vibration and the numbness caused by it. 3) +1 to Scotty's advice about straightening your wrists. 4) Don't let after market goodies be your solution if there is some medical problem. Get it checked out by a compotent physician. Ryde Safe and Enjoy :bigthumbsup:
    sabunim5
    Happy owner of Silver PE #1232
    All The Gear All The Time - ATGATT
    Gulf Coast SpyderRyders

Spyder Garage

Never heard of a bar snake.

I've heard of people filling their bars with various things.... rubber - Lead BB's, etc..... to help dampen the vibrations.

Anyone know a method that works well??

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the good suggestions. They all helped some. I have a doctor's appointment Fri. I hope she can help!!
    Happy SM5 Owner
    Mods: Evoluzione PowerBus & air filter, sway bar, Kewl adjustable risers, highway pegs, back rack, Givi trunk & side bags, Crampbuster, Heatroller, Autocom intercom & 2 way radio, McCruise cruise control, No Magic Triple Play brake lights, fender tip & mud flap lights, Givi bag lights,
    mirror extensions, Russell Day-Long Saddle, C.H.A.D., Oxford heated grips.

Spyder Garage

Ditch the stock grips and get a pair of foam grips, they make a big difference and are very cheap.
    HAPPY OWNER

Spyder Garage

Have you tried soaking your hands in this? ;D

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster
    Have you tried soaking your hands in this? ;D

:a20:

Spyder Garage

;D Uh, no, Lamonster, I had not thought of that. I'll let you know how it works. lol
    08 RS/SM5 (Hers) (sold)
    15 RT-S (Mine)
    2015 RT-S , Metallic Black

Spyder Garage

Question Re: Hands falling asleep

Would a Corbin seat help with my hands falling asleep? After 20-30 miles my hands go numb. I have the BRP 1" riser with the Kewlmetal 5" bars and aftermarket center console. I am 6'.0" tall, I also have the ISO grips installed.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

i have kury grips, throttle boss, throttle lock and now i added the bb's in the handlebar and bb's did quite a bit. i shoved in a plastic tube first on the left side first to block bb's from getting in the controls. now that i dont have riser anymore, it is putting more pressure on my hands so i did the bb thing. we shall see how it does on a long trip but it looks like it's gonna work and i get to keep the stock ryding position.(yes i do like the stock riding position)
    6 states down 42 states to go

Spyder Garage

I'm not sure how adding a Corbin seat would help, unless you're sitting on your hands!

I have a Corbin seat and love it, but I didn't buy it for my hands... My ESI risers and BBs in the handle bars took care of all my hand problems.

Number One: 2008 Yellow GS SM5. I love my Spyder.
    Number Two: 2012 RT-S Limited (the poop colored RT) I still have Number One, but Some Girl made me buy Number Two...

Spyder Garage

By accident I've found my solution.

During times where I do not modify the throttle much (long constant speeds) I slide both hands inward so I'm only gripping the handlebars with my index finger and thumb (imagine making the OK sign on both hands). GThe rest of my fingers I just stretch them out. Left one rests on the clutch handle and the right fingers just pointed straight out. This has an immediate effect of relieving any pressure that causes my hands to fall asleep.

Works for me...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

CTS can really take the fun out of riding. Here's what works for me. 1.Riding position. Sit up. Maybe add some bar risers and a Bar Snake. 2. Add some Grip Puppies, they're cheap and they helped me. 3. Where gloves, all the time. 4. Still playing with a throttle rocker, but seems to help. 5 Here's the big one, lose the death grip on the bars. That's what made the biggest difference to me. The nice thing about a Spyder you can just rest your whole hand on top of the grips and relax. No need to worry about grabbing the front brake. This became my biggest problem on two wheelers. After damn near crashing because of it, I sold off all my bikes, thought I was done. Then along came a Spyder.

It will be lots of little things that help. Try them all till something works.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingHeart View Post
    Took my longest ride yet on Spyder. It was fantastic!! Lots of twisties. ;D The only problem was my hands kept falling asleep - especially the right one. :-[ :-[ I have cruise control and that helped to give relief at times. Anyone have any suggestions to relieve this? Thanks.
    Frustrating it is
    I have the same problem even now with the Rt. Same right hand as yours (mildly in my left hand), only I get the numbness and tingling. I get a pain on my right side of neck, over my shoulders, down my arm at times.

My right leg was falling asleep on the Spyder Fest ryde also, that's not good. Scarry

I bought the risers, Throttle Boss, and Kuryakyn grips, gel gloves for my RS, and that seemed to help a bit. But still had the problem.
    I have adjusted my ryding position and I do not grip my handle bars hard, I adjust my hand so my wrist doesn't bend either.

I am going threw the same thing again, trying to find something to help my hand. It's time for a Dr. to check it out, since I got the same problem on the computer now too.

No way am I giving up my spyder or the computer
    "Happy Spyder Owner"
    2010 RTS PE 0174

Custom Plates & paint,
    ESI Triple play,mud flap lights,Fender tips/amber,Green Filter,Dayrunner/turn signals,Shortee Antenna,Scuff Guards,LED Brake Lights & 2 in 1 Harness,Brightsides & rear,Glo-ryders/amber,Kewlmetal inside trunk lightz,Garmin 660,Garmin Hood,Volt Meter & Oil Pressure Gauge,Utopia Backrest,IPS Key,ISCI Brake Pedal,Dual side/tall flag poles,SPYDERPOPS Heat Guard

http://www.farriscustoms.com

Spyder Garage

I have:
    1. BB in the bars. Search for instructions in the forum before doing this.

2. Crampbuster. 1st thing I bought. Best 12 bucks I have spent.

3. Padded gloves. I notice a big difference riding with/without gloves.

4. 3" riser. This should have been the 1st mod I bought.

Total cost: +/-$160

These work fine for me in combination. My hands still fall asleep if I get too relaxed and lean forward, resting my weight on my hands.

My chiropractor definitely agrees with changing wrist position periodically. I find changing the Crampbuster position helps me change wrist position.

Do what you can to get comfortable. Where's the fun if you are not?

Be Safe!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

My hands don't doze off but they spaz up, or cramp up sometimes. Is that what you mean? Or do they go numb? Or have pins and needles in them?
    Usually a short brake stops my problem.
    I have heard that Grip Puppies™ help most of these conditions.

Mike

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BumbleBee View Post
    Frustrating it is
    I have the same problem even now with the Rt. Same right hand as yours (mildly in my left hand), only I get the numbness and tingling. I get a pain on my right side of neck, over my shoulders, down my arm at times.

My right leg was falling asleep on the Spyder Fest ryde also, that's not good. Scarry

I bought the risers, Throttle Boss, and Kuryakyn grips, gel gloves for my RS, and that seemed to help a bit. But still had the problem.
    I have adjusted my ryding position and I do not grip my handle bars hard, I adjust my hand so my wrist doesn't bend either.

I am going threw the same thing again, trying to find something to help my hand. It's time for a Dr. to check it out, since I got the same problem on the computer now too.

No way am I giving up my spyder or the computer
    Ask your primary physician, GP or chiropractor to request a cervical MRI without contrast.
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!