Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

I remember demo riding an ST-limited in May. The ride leader said I was riding the brake the whole time I rode... I wasn't.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Your dealer did the prescribed fix. No reason to lose confidence in them over this. Your's obviously has some additional problem. They can't fix it until you report it to them. They may have to contact BRP dealer tech support for assistance, since the service bulletin cure didn't do the job. Don't tell them how to fix it...just tell them it still doesn't work. That way both the dealer and BRP see the true nature of the problem. JMHO
    will do, thanks! I am just a little frustrated with the service department....this isn't the only issue I've had that needed to be addressed more than once. It is a big inconvenience trying to get it in there over and over, a bit upsetting with a brand new vehicle as well. I guess I should've expected some hiccups with a new model.

Spyder Garage

Angry I noticed something about this problem...

Quote Originally Posted by donnau View Post
    Mine was doing the same thing, it would stay on even while driving....I brought it to the dealer and they shaved off the rubber stopper but now it is worse. It happens more often than before. when I bring it in for the oil change, I will have them look again but I don't have much confidence in them now. For now if I lift up on the brake a bit with my toe, it will go out. (my husband rides behind me and we have headsets...so this is how I know when the light stays on and goes off) I see that some here have a switch on order....wondering if I should have my dealer do this too. I've got a little over 4000 miles on it and wondering why this didn't start until about 1000 miles ago???
    Hi all,

My brake light stays on 100% of time when I turn the bike off, or ride down the road. Cruise doesn't work because of this. Have to quickly tap the pedal very fast with my fingers to finally get the stupid thing off

I was about to do the "shaving of the rubber stop", when I noticed something. The bike was COLD, I pushed the brake lever to duplicate the problem. It worked FINE. The lever dropped about 1/4" then I heard the click. Came back up, heard the strong click again and the light went off. However - it seems there is some brains between the switch and the light OR the switches stick, as when I move the lever fast, sometimes the light would stay on, BUT very easy to to turn off with one press on the lever. But again the switch was activating and de-activating exactly when it should...

Now when the bike is HOT, everything changes!! I can NOT hear the switch at all. Again with the fast tapping. Pulling the brake lever UP hard does nothing. It's like the switch is stuck. So it sounds like the switch, but... when it is cold it is fine! So looking under the bike I see the switches are behind a rubber cover. That rubber cover is like 5mm from the MUFFLER! I found this out the hard way, I went to pop the rubber cover off and the box (containing the switches) was damn hot - burnt the crap outta myself. So if that box is THAT hot, the switches are roasting.

So what I am trying is taking muffler tape (fiberglass wrap), folding it up to the size of the box (maybe 3" x 4") and shoving it in between the rubber cover and the muffler to try to get the temperature of the switches down while the engine is hot. edit - will also fill the box with the switches with fiberglass.

I am waiting for the fiberglass tape. Thought I would post my thoughts to see if anyone with the 2013 ST that has this problem can confirm/deny the switch acting different when it is cold versus hot. Brake like works fine when engine is cold, fails when hot.

Steve
    Last edited by stevencovert; 08-23-2016 at 09:18 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stevencovert View Post
    Hi all,

My brake light stays on 100% of time when I turn the bike off, or ride down the road. Cruise doesn't work because of this. Have to quickly tap the pedal very fast with my fingers to finally get the stupid thing off

I was about to do the "shaving of the rubber stop", when I noticed something. The bike was COLD, I pushed the brake lever to duplicate the problem. It worked FINE. The lever dropped about 1/4" then I heard the click. Came back up, heard the strong click again and the light went off. However - it seems there is some brains between the switch and the light OR the switches stick, as when I move the lever fast, sometimes the light would stay on, BUT very easy to to turn off with one press on the lever. But again the switch was activating and de-activating exactly when it should...

Now when the bike is HOT, everything changes!! I can NOT hear the switch at all. Again with the fast tapping. Pulling the brake lever UP hard does nothing. It's like the switch is stuck. So it sounds like the switch, but... when it is cold it is fine! So looking under the bike I see the switches are behind a rubber cover. That rubber cover is like 5mm from the MUFFLER! I found this out the hard way, I went to pop the rubber cover off and the box (containing the switches) was damn hot - burnt the crap outta myself. So if that box is THAT hot, the switches are roasting.

So what I am trying is taking muffler tape (fiberglass wrap), folding it up to the size of the box (maybe 3" x 4") and shoving it in between the rubber cover and the muffler to try to get the temperature of the switches down while the engine is hot. edit - will also fill the box with the switches with fiberglass.

I am waiting for the fiberglass tape. Thought I would post my thoughts to see if anyone with the 2013 ST that has this problem can confirm/deny the switch acting different when it is cold versus hot. Brake like works fine when engine is cold, fails when hot.

Steve
    May I recommend starting a new thread for your problem. This causes a lot less confusion for people answering different peoples question. Also you may think your problem sounds like someone else's. The correct answer for your specific symptoms may be different.

I am guessing you have a ST but the year is a mystery and is important for this topic. If you have a 2013 ST and it appears the pedal does not rise enough because of the rubber stopper. That is bracket that the switch is mounted to. The there is a warranty campaign to fix this at no charge. If the switch is sticking. It may be just dirty and need to be cleaned. If dirt has damaged the switch. It needs to be replaced. It has nothing to do with heat. There is suppose to be 2 clicks when pressing the brake pedal. One for the brake light switch and the other for the low limit pressure switch.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Look at this Thread. Mayby it helps.