Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New New Rider

Spyder Garage

Default New New Rider

Hello Everyone. I just purchased a 2013 RT/S. This is my first bike!! I am very new to riding and would appreciate any tips, suggestions, help etc. I will be taking a 3 wheel basic rider course for my license so that's a start. It has been a life long dream and a bucket list item to own a bike but being a mother, wife, and having a career took precedence over a bike. Now it is time for me so here I go!!

Spyder Garage

Welcome to the best spot on the Internet for learning about Spyders. I'm not a Lady Spyder Ryder and hopefully don't get scolded for posting here.

I did he same thing, my 2011 rt-s was my first and I am 44. Now it has 30000 miles on it.

Congrats on he new ryde you will love it!
    Last edited by kinggeek; 07-01-2013 at 10:52 AM.
    Kinggeek
    Mandeville,LA

VERY HAPPY Spyder Ryder!

Where have we been on the Spyder? See below:

Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 in Congac

Spyder Garage

Talking

Welcome.

You may find this worth reading and saving for future reference.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...t=DO%27S+DONTS

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Make sure you check out the do and don't. Keep you owners manual at bay. Most of the answer of any questions are always on your manual. Other questions you may have can be posted here and I'm sure you'll be directed to the right way. Good luck and I'm glad you taking a training course. Take your time learning your new ride and enjoy the ride safely. God Bless.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

and on your new Spyder! Not only is this the best place on the web for all things Spyder, but Maggie Valley is a great place to enjoy your ryde! Did you see all of us there in June?
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    and on your new Spyder! Not only is this the best place on the web for all things Spyder, but Maggie Valley is a great place to enjoy your ryde! Did you see all of us there in June?

You bet! Ya'll looked great and finally pushed me forward to make the decision to join the group!! Maggie is a great location to ride...BRP and Smoky Mountain Park are in our backyard. Great riding to come. We spend our winters in Sanibel Fl so we will have some great rides there too. Plan on riding the keys this winter! WooHoo!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by maliamd View Post
    Hello Everyone. I just purchased a 2013 RT/S. This is my first bike!! I am very new to riding and would appreciate any tips, suggestions, help etc. I will be taking a 3 wheel basic rider course for my license so that's a start. It has been a life long dream and a bucket list item to own a bike but being a mother, wife, and having a career took precedence over a bike. Now it is time for me so here I go!!
    Taking the trike course will certainly help you learn the ins and outs of 3 wheeling - will they allow you to take the course on your own bike?

find a local community college or shopping center that is closed on weekends and use their parking lot to practice like quick stops, quick turns, etc

take your time and ENJOY your new ride
    1. it is what it is - 2014 Black RT-S - Baja Ron Anti-Sway bar, lots of LEDs, Spyderpops Skid Plate, Twisted Sister HID Driving Lights, Tricled 2nd, 3rd & 4th brake lights, F4 Customs vented windshield, Lamonster highway pegs, Ultimate Tall Boy seat, Utopia backrest

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lookerjdc View Post
    Taking the trike course will certainly help you learn the ins and outs of 3 wheeling - will they allow you to take the course on your own bike?

find a local community college or shopping center that is closed on weekends and use their parking lot to practice like quick stops, quick turns, etc

take your time and ENJOY your new ride

Both my husband and I are taking the course. We will be bringing the CanAm and sharing. The local community college is bringing in a second instructor which will allow us to share the bike and running us both through the courses. We live in a development here in Maggie and will be practicing turns, stops, reverse, etc. I would like to be able to get some speed up and practice shifting but from what I hear first gear goes to 28mph and this development or even a parking lot won't handle speeds much higher than this.

Spyder Garage

yes, you can wind 1st gear up to 28, but in practicing, shift into 2nd gear and just cruise around your development or the college parking lots

if they have 'long' parking lots you can run up your speed to practice quick stops

just ride and get comfortable
    1. it is what it is - 2014 Black RT-S - Baja Ron Anti-Sway bar, lots of LEDs, Spyderpops Skid Plate, Twisted Sister HID Driving Lights, Tricled 2nd, 3rd & 4th brake lights, F4 Customs vented windshield, Lamonster highway pegs, Ultimate Tall Boy seat, Utopia backrest

Spyder Garage

Both my husband and I are taking the course. We will be bringing the CanAm and sharing. The local community college is bringing in a second instructor which will allow us to share the bike and running us both through the courses. We live in a development here in Maggie and will be practicing turns, stops, reverse, etc. I would like to be able to get some speed up and practice shifting but from what I hear first gear goes to 28mph and this development or even a parking lot won't handle speeds much higher than this.

You can go way beyond 28 mph in first gear. Recommended shift point is 5000-5500 rpms. The engine gets loud--but you are not hurting it. If you go to 2nd in parking lot areas--you may be lugging the engine.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I would suggest that you stay away from the Tail of the Dragon and the Rattler until you are really comfortable on your new Spyder. Good luck with your MSF class and enjoy your new ride
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I would suggest that you stay away from the Tail of the Dragon and the Rattler until you are really comfortable on your new Spyder. Good luck with your MSF class and enjoy your new ride

Can you please explain Tail of the Dragon and Rattler????

Spyder Garage

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/

thats the area the owners event was a couple of weeks ago

NOT for new riders.... lol

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Can you please explain Tail of the Dragon and Rattler????
    They are two routes near you that are quite twisty. The tail of the dragon advertises 318 turns in 11 miles and the Rattler is similar. The Dragon goes to Deals Gap and the Rattler is NC209.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    They are two routes near you that are quite twisty. The tail of the dragon advertises 318 turns in 11 miles and the Rattler is similar. The Dragon goes to Deals Gap and the Rattler is NC209.

Ok thanks. Duly noted! Since we live here in Maggie will probably start on the BRP during weekdays when the road is super quiet with little or no traffic. Catching the BRP off SR 19 is usually a quiet ride on that stretch of the parkway. Just want to take it easy and get the feel for the bike.

Spyder Garage

and on your new .............Ryde Safe and Ryde Often!

Spyder: 2011 RT Limited w/ RT-622 trailer
    Mods: ESI Brightsides, RT Rear Brightsides, HMT Brake Light, Scuff Guards, Utopia Backrest, Chrome, and more Chrome, Pearl White Rear View Mirrors, Rear Fender, and Dashboard, Black Rear Wheel and Belt Assy, SpyderPops Heat Shields & Bump Skid, Elka Stage 1+ Shocks, 2012 SF Graphics, Silver Carbonfiber Dash, Corbin Arm Rests, Baker A.W., BRP Vented WindShield. BR's Sway Bar, Tricled White Halo Lights, BadBoy Air Horn, Spyder Legs Floor Boards

Spyder Garage

There is a comprehensive skills course in your manual and on the DVD (if the still include one). Set up a course in a parking lot with some half tennis balls or soccer cones and do some parking lot practice. If you know how the Spyder reacts under various conditions, you will ride with confidence.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Enjoy your new ride....take your time....practice is the best medicine......good advice from others

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone for your wise words. I will take them to heart and hit the road very slowly!!

Spyder Garage

make sure your new spyder has had the ball joints replaced,they can tell if you nedded that dune by the ser,number of your bike.if they havent done that and you need it make them do that.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My guess is... after getting the ball-joints and alignment done... your riding will include intentional tipping of your machine onto two-wheels before too long... just for the sport of it, and all the while smiling!

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2011 Viper-Red Spyder RT SE5 & Trailer
    2017 HD Ultra Limited
    Former Rides: 2014 HD Ultra Limited; '04 Kawa Nomad; '09 HD Ultra-Classic; and many Hondas through the years.
    Spyder Newbies Do's & Do Not's: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) LindaG's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Just ride!

Have had my RS S for four months and have 7k miles on her. Join GOS (Girls on Spyders) facebook, it is great. We got into Littleton CO today for the Mile High Ride. There are a lot of things going on, just jump in.

Spyder Garage

Default New New Rider

welcome and ride safe. and have fun.
    IMG_3828.jpg

Spyder Garage

Default Happy to hear!!

I had not ridden a bike for 43 years and got a RS in 2012. That lasted for about 7,000 miles and I wanted the BIG boy (RT LTD). Got it in Oct. 0f 2012 and have 19,700 miles on it! I love it.
    You will be very comfortable and get lots of attention. My only suggestion for you is to watch cars coming toward you or on one side or the other. They tend to stare and forget which lane is theirs and come into your lane!
    Have fun and gets lots of seat time this summer!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Welcome new guy have fun and practice a lot before you take on the curves!