Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Question how to tell if you can battery tend via existing cig lighter

I am looking to get a battery tender. I know there are lots of threads on the subject, but I'm interested in using my existing cig lighter in frunk 2013 ST

Is there a way to tell if I can use it?

Is it safe to plug the tender into it without knowing for sure if it can be used?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AWEInCA View Post
    I am looking to get a battery tender. I know there are lots of threads on the subject, but I'm interested in using my existing cig lighter in frunk 2013 ST

Is it safe to plug the tender into it without knowing for sure if it can be used?
    That is not a lighter, and it is only powered when the key is turned on. I don't believe it can be used for a tender.
    Catching a Yellow Jacket in your helmet at 65 mph can double your vocabulary

Spyder Garage

Default CIG LIGHTER

Open your frunk and look on the left side (as you're sitting on the Spyder). Under the black plastic cover you will see pos. & neg. battery terminals. These are hot all the time. I hook my battery tender to these terminals with alligator clips.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AWEInCA View Post

I use this adapter with my accessory plug in the trunk and it works just fine because the plug is always live. http://batterytender.com/cigarette-lighter-adaptor.html

A way to tell if your socket is always live is to plug something into it with the key off.

Spyder Garage

if you have a 2013 rt it is hooked to fuse 6 and is only hot when key is on you must move it to fuse 7 then it will be hot all the time and you can then use it to charge your battery with a tender hooked up.