Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Still trying to get comfortable

I've had my Spyder for little over a week now. I feel pretty good riding around town with speeds maxing out around 45 mph. This weekend I ventured out on the freeway to see what it felt like and I must admit it did not feel very comfortable once speeds exceeded 65 mph. I could feel the cross winds and road variations were accentuated. Is this just the normal process of learning how to ride the bike or are there suspension adjustments I need to make. Thanks for the advice!!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

You really can't tell at this point if its the bike or your grabbing on too tight! Loosen up relax and take the out on the road often. It takes time to get comfortable. I would say if your bike had the ball joint or alignment issues there would be no doubt in your mind.

Spyder Garage

Default Stiff

I had the same feelings when I started riding mine about a year ago. I learned early on that the stiffest suspension setting helpled a lot (5) and then the rest came with a little experience. I now find myself having to back off when I realize that I'm cruising down I-15 at 90 MPH. Give a chance, you will get use to it. In town I go for the soft ride. On the highway put your suspension at 5 bars and you will see a big difference. Good Luck.

Spyder Garage

Default Bajaron Swaybar

Get on the forum and take a look at the Bajaron's Sway Bar. That may be a good option for you as well.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Time..!!

That's what it takes. If you have been running around town and now venture out to the open road your are reacting differently. It's somewhat scarier and you will get the death grip syndrome. The bike has a DPS (dynamic power steering) like an electric assisted steering. It prefers smooth gentle suggestion so relax your grip and fear. Those two front wheels track very well..once you get used to it you can move on to the mods like BajaRon sway bar and aftermarket shocks but till you get comfortable with what you have you won't know if you need to make changes...good luck..!!
    Last edited by Chupaca; 07-01-2013 at 11:03 AM.
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Palm It

Try just putting the heel of your hands on the bars and pushing (only) Gently.. Worked for me..

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pondboss View Post
    Try just putting the heel of your hands on the bars and pushing (only) Gently.. Worked for me..
    Releasing the 'grip of death' that is natural at this point in your Spyder riding cycle and at the new, higher speeds, should smooth out your ride. There is anxiety in taking your new ride to the next level, which manifests itself in over-gripping. Focus on being able to wiggle your fingers over the grips while pressing with the heels of your hands to steer, all the while with your thumbs wrapped under the grips. Should you need to grasp the grips to steer around a road obstacle, your fingers and thumbs are ready for action, otherwise they are enjoying the breeze.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What year is your bike?
    There have been changes made to the suspensions and/or their settings over the years.
    We need a bit more info to try and help you...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Get with someone in your area that has a spyder and get some pointers first hand.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default To Me, its about enjoying the ride

I ride for the fun of it. I usually tell the Garmin to "avoid highways" because the side roads are usually a prettier ride. At 65 MPH or higher, there is more buffeting from crosswinds and from semi trailers whizzing by. My 2013 RT Limited has no problem tracking, and I've learned to loosen my grip, as described above . . . but I still enjoy the side roads more. I am not in a hurry to get anywhere, anymore, either . . . turning 65 does that!
    2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I can attest to the death grip as it too be a while to over come this. Now that it's conquered, the bike is so much more enjoyable to ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post
    but I still enjoy the side roads more. I am not in a hurry to get anywhere, anymore, either . . . turning 65 does that!
    Plus...If your in a hurry to get somewhere, you miss so much along the way!

Spyder Garage

Default More info!!!

All:

If it helps, I have a new 2012 RT SE5 Audio and Convenience with no mods at the moment.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I wouldn't change anything until you've ridden it some more. I now have 1300 miles on my 2013 RT and everything is smoother. Here is what I have noticed:

1. You can grip the bars too tight (good advice from this forum for me)
    2. The electronic power steering is tight - I found myself overcorrecting for imperfections in the road.
    3. Look further ahead... I was new to riding (and the spyder)... found that I was focused on the road too close. Especially thru tight turns. Look ahead, it will smoth things out (again with the over-correcting).

I wouldn't change a thing until you've had more seat time. I installed the comfort seat before it left the dealer (i'm 6'1")... that was a mistake. I wish I would have at least tried the stock seat. IMHO the comfort seat is too hard and gives no back support.

After 1300+ miles, I feel like it is still more work than a bike thru the turns... not sure if that will ever change.

Spyder Garage

Cool All is better with time!

Purchesed my 2012 rt se5 in april. Now approaching 4k. Rode 700 miles this weekend, 350 back roades on Sat and 350 highway (rte 95) coming home Sun. Machine (Ms. Betsy) rode extraordinarily good. Seems to get better and better with time. Engine has most definitely got better with miles. Just give yours so time You'll get better by leaps and bounds the more miles you log.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Agree on the seat time as your first line of defense. Get some time on it above 45mph before you start adding mods and changing settings all over the place. Then, once you know where you are at as a starting place you can make the setting changes and mods you like and will know how the mods and setting changes affect your riding experience.

If you start out changing everything at once (and then you get comfortable with the ride as will naturally happen) you wont know what if anything really worked or what future changes will bring - and you also end up spending money you really did not need to which is just taking away money from the fun mods you really do want!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by C_Boogie View Post
    I've had my Spyder for little over a week now. I feel pretty good riding around town with speeds maxing out around 45 mph. This weekend I ventured out on the freeway to see what it felt like and I must admit it did not feel very comfortable once speeds exceeded 65 mph. I could feel the cross winds and road variations were accentuated. Is this just the normal process of learning how to ride the bike or are there suspension adjustments I need to make. Thanks for the advice!!!
    wind buffeting is normal

do you know what your front shocks are set to? what setting (1-5)? you should check your owners manual for the appropriate setting based on your weight and riding style

what about the rear suspension?

obviously, there are all sort of mods/add-ons you can purchase to change certain things on your bike BUT BEFORE you spend money on any of them, you need to just ride locally and get used to the feel of your new machine

most importantly, as others have stated, the amount of time you spend on the bike getting used to it will also make a HUGE difference in your comfort level

if you are new to riding, or just new to riding a Spyder, find a local community college thats closed on weekends and use their parking lot to try various riding exercises (quick start, quick stops, figure eights, etc) to get more and more comfortable

just take your time
    Last edited by lookerjdc; 07-01-2013 at 10:35 AM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I had the same issue with my 2013 RT SE 5 and at the 600 mile check up the service department manually adjusted the suspension but now at 2500 miles I have found that the death grip is slowly going away and finding a groove on the highway makes all the difference. There is still some movement when on Interstate in this great Kansas wind but I have found that the more I ride the better it gets. The long haired Col even stated this Saturday that even with the heavy wind the seemed to handle better on the highway. Have fun, and I have already decided to wait till next year before I start making any add on.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

All:

If it helps, I have a new 2012 RT SE5 Audio and Convenience with no mods at the moment.
    Thanks!

Well; the 2012s were the most evolved of the original design... There really were no inherent mechanical issues for this year's bikes.
    (It's almost nice when there's an easily identifiable problem...)
    Short of checking the alignment...

I agree with the rest of the gang in here; it does take some time to get the hang of how these bikes feel... When you're out on the highway; try bringing your knees in against the tank pads. This hleps to steady you on the bike. If you're getting rocked around; you might be adding some unwanted steering inputs to the bars...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It only takes time & miles to get the hang of it.

It'll come to you. All the good suggestions have been laid out for you.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default The ride

It takes a little while to get used to it, but once you do you won't think a thing of it. Make sure the air pressure in the front tires are within a 1/2 lb from each other. If it is more than that the bike will tell you when you get up to high speeds.

Best wishes, watch the intersections, and be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    That's what it takes. If you have been running around town and now venture out to the open road your are reacting differently. It's somewhat scarier and you will get the death grip syndrome. The bike has a DPS (dynamic power steering) like an electric assisted steering. It prefers smooth gentle suggestion so relax your grip and fear. Those two front wheels track very well..once you get used to it you can move on to the mods like BajaRon sway bar and aftermarket shocks but till you get comfortable with what you have you won't know if you need to make changes...good luck..!!

Spyder Garage

Default Turning

All:

When turning left(example) take your right knee and put it into the right side of your seat. Put your left foot firmly on the left foot peg and lean into your turn. When turning right do just the opposite. I read this on Spyderlovers and tried it and it works GREAT. Have 2011 RTS SE5 with AC package. Hope this helps.
    2014 RTS SE6 , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks for all of the great feedback!!!

I have been bitten by the . It has been a blast to ride and I'm sure I will get more comfortable with more seat time. I have only logged 170 miles thus far.

Spyder Garage

Default 170 miles?

I have been bitten by the . It has been a blast to ride and I'm sure I will get more comfortable with more seat time. I have only logged 170 miles thus far.
    Get out there and ryde! 19000 miles on mine since April 2012 , Co, Mo, NC, and every day to work and back! 2012 RT A&C just like yours!
    2012 RT A&C bought new 42312 sold July 2018 56k miles currently driving a 2014 RTSE6 LTD bought October 2018 w 6800 miles nicely farkled
    2014 RT SE6 LTD , White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Each mile will bring more comfort and familiarity...

Please keep us posted as to how your learning process goes... Good Luck, and Have Fun!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As others have said, the more you ride and learn to relax your grip, the smoother the ride will be.