Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Statement of acknowlgement ST heat issues

Do you think BRP will and/or should release a statement of acknowledgement regarding the ST heat issues? Given the burning demo bike on the internet they can't hide it under a rock. It would appear this should become the absolute top priority given the potential ramifications. Thoughts?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Do I think they should? Yes. Do I think they will? No. They will most likely try to fix this with an update bulletin through the dealer network. Unless it takes a major redesign then all bets are off!

Spyder Garage

Default Have to agree..!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ga Blue Knight View Post
    Do I think they should? Yes. Do I think they will? No. They will most likely try to fix this with an update bulletin through the dealer network. Unless it takes a major redesign then all bets are off!
    silent repairs while they can...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I thought it was an RT that burned up.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    X2
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. 2017 GMC Sierra cc diesel. 2017 Arctic cat RR 137 ES

Spyder Garage

It was an RT.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Illinois Patriot Guard

Founding member of Woodstock Spyder Ryders

2014 RTS SE6 - White
    2010 RT/AC SE5 retired with 26,536 miles

Spyder Garage

The company will most likely handle the situation as quietly as they can. Don't want any bad publicity. The lawyers will also help them carefully word any statements so they can say as little as possible about the problems or implying they even have them.

It's just the way things are done today.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

That is correct. Without knowing the actual cause of the RT fire, BRP may be dealing with more than one issue here.

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

something needs to be said....sure it will be as quite as possible...

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's the, "Duck Theory of Crisis Management"
    Keep all outward appearances as calm as you can...
    But paddle like Hell under the water!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default I don't Understand Why . . .

I don't understand why CanAm doesn't go ahead and install heat shields (like the aftermarket ones) on the catalytic converter and wrap the pipes, right from the git go, as they are assembled. It could not cost that much more, and I'd certainly have paid a little more for mine to come from the factory like that . . . jus' sayin'.

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

This situation reminds me of the Toyota Camry and Prius problems that took much time and several accidents to take place before Toyota was forced into a resolution.

Carl
    2012 White RT Limited and 2013 Yellow ST-S Think 3 .i.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post
    I don't understand why CanAm doesn't go ahead and install heat shields (like the aftermarket ones) on the catalytic converter and wrap the pipes, right from the git go, as they are assembled. It could not cost that much more, and I'd certainly have paid a little more for mine to come from the factory like that . . . jus' sayin'.
    Because they didn't think they had a problem...............Jerbear wrote somewhere in the 6-12 threads on going on this issue that they needed to do better real world testing. I have to agree it appears the R&D function really missed the boat? I personally don't think they knew they had an issue and decided to ignore it? Could be wrong I guess but again the money it costs to fix after the fact and the brand damage will far exceed the cost of a heat shield and ceramic coated pipes (or wrapped).
    2011 RTS SM5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post
    The reason I like older bikes/trikes is because I like to see the engine. Get rid of some of the plastic, let air blow through, & make the engine look good and stand out. Increase the radiator size and the fan to cool it better out the back end. What do you think.

Spyder Garage

It will (has) definitely hurt sales of STs. IMHO they need to be pulled from showroom floors and stock until something is done. The cause of the recent thermal event involving the RT, if known, probably will not be made public. Again, I think that is a separate issue from the heat problems on STs.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Quote: Buttsy: "Because they didn't think they had a problem...............Jerbear wrote somewhere in the 6-12 threads on going on this issue that they needed to do better real world testing. I have to agree it appears the R&D function really missed the boat? I personally don't think they knew they had an issue and decided to ignore it? Could be wrong I guess but again the money it costs to fix after the fact and the brand damage will far exceed the cost of a heat shield and ceramic coated pipes (or wrapped). "

If I remember correctly: part of the "real world testing" on the ST's this year was conducted by BRP having some of Spyderdom's popular riders test riding the prototypes. Most came back, when they were allowed to, praising the attributes of the new ST's. I don't remember any of them saying anything about heat or reliability issues encountered during the testing. I do not remember if this was a longer miles test, or just a controlled test for publicity purposes by BRP. Just a point to ponder or have some civil discussion about.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 07-01-2013 at 03:34 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't remember when those evaluations were done ... Was it last summer, or had things started cooling off already?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I don't remember when those evaluations were done ... Was it last summer, or had things started cooling off already?
    I believe it was post announcement but pre-availability that they were mentioned.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 07-01-2013 at 02:37 PM.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Does anyone remember the DPS?

A burning Spyder is bad. The DPS issue was a lot worse. People were killed. BRP was slow to come out with admission or a fix. I don't expect that this will be any different. "Why don't they wrap the catalytic converter and the pipes?" Why don't they move the rear view mirrors so you are not looking at your hands?

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

When a company gives out Prototypes to be tested by whoever? The prototypes are checked out 6 ways from Sunday by the company, That's ''WHY'' Consumers Report, Sends out their own testers to ''BUY'' the test vehicles anonymously ,. Also Bike magazines that test bikes have to be very careful not to knock a bike too hard, Or they will find the bike manufacturers will be reluctant to lend them a bike to test the next time....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The test by spyderlovers was last summer in Quebec. I would think that pre-production Spyders probably had a lot of different parts on them than the production models do.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Spyder STs

BRP should take all the STs off of the showroom floors. There are some major problems and it isn't fair to sell these inferior spyders to the public. Don't they realize that with the technology that is out there people can spread the word quickly about how unhappy they are with a product? When someone gets hurt it will really ruin their reputation. I hope that no one does become a victim because of their poor quality of these bikes and I hope that people will put pressure on BRP to make things right.

Spyder Garage

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...2013+test+ride

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Anyone got a link to the story about the flame out?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The test by spyderlovers was last summer in Quebec. I would think that pre-production Spyders probably had a lot of different parts on them than the production models do.
    I test rode one last November; I was told that it was a hand-built prototype worth about a quarter of a million dollars...
    Then I realized how far I'd get before they caught me... Yup; it WAS perfect... but the price sure wouldn't have been!