Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Unhappy Melted Master Cylinder Reservoir

We have 2200 miles on our ST limited and when we got back from the Owner's Event the brakes started smoking. then we got a brake failure light. I took it to the dealer and they said that the master cylinger melted. Now they say that BRP told them to hold my Spyder until they can design a heat shield to prevent that from happening again. I've heard that this problem has happened to others and I am wondering why there hasn't been a recall? I am also thinking this could take a long time and I will be Spyderless.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bamaryder View Post
    We have 2200 miles on our ST limited and when we got back from the Owner's Event the brakes started smoking. then we got a brake failure light. I took it to the dealer and they said that the master cylinger melted. Now they say that BRP told them to hold my Spyder until they can design a heat shield to prevent that from happening again. I've heard that this problem has happened to others and I am wondering why there hasn't been a recall? I am also thinking this could take a long time and I will be Spyderless.
    Is your ST at Halls?

Spyder Garage

Not sure how the st's exhaust... if it has a 30 lb. cat or not but i can see if the wind blowing break fluid onto the cat, may have contributed to the rt's fire that was posted?
    Hot Wheels loves to ROCK!

Spyder Garage

Default Seems to me..!!

there is a problem. Don't know the changes made to the existing frame and design to come up with the ST but there seems to be a miscalculation somewhere. Hope they realize this and make the changes needed soon...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kungfuspyder View Post
    Is your ST at Halls?
    No, it's at Pensacola Motorsports.
    2008 GS Phantom, 2012 RT Limited
    Cheryl Reinhart Ragsdale

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post
    Not sure how the st's exhaust... if it has a 30 lb. cat or not but i can see if the wind blowing break fluid onto the cat, may have contributed to the rt's fire that was posted?
    DOT 3/4 brake fluid will burn but it's not considered a combustible substance so wind blowing brake fluid onto the outside of the cat would most likely not ignite a fire.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mjw930 View Post
    DOT 3/4 brake fluid will burn but it's not considered a combustible substance so wind blowing brake fluid onto the outside of the cat would most likely not ignite a fire.
    Probably not, but it sure makes a mess. That stuff's corrosive.
    tHe SmOkEr YoU dRiNk ThE pLaYeR yOu GeT!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sny View Post
    Probably not, but it sure makes a mess. That stuff's corrosive.
    That is does..... I guess I need to check the wife's ST to make sure the master cylinder is in good shape and possibly fab a heat shield.

Spyder Garage

I'd just wait for BRP to make one. And avoid riding it in the meantime.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

You would think the engineers/designers at BRP would figure out by now that when you have a motor and exhaust enclosed in so much Tupperware, it is essential to control the heat under there? I think they better get things straightened out quickly as sales will drop if word spreads about dangerous heat levels on these machines! Hot to touch gas caps, burning Rt,melting master cylinders and hot seats are just not normal, I don't care what anyone says! I have owned a few bikes over the years and never had any of the heat issue that the Spyder is having. Luckily I have not had any with my 2012 RT, except a bit of a hot foot, but I wear good boots and it is bearable. But I am keeping my fingers crossed!!
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

check the spark plugs...my are white...running lean

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I'd just wait for BRP to make one. And avoid riding it in the meantime.
    Sorry but we didn't spend $24K to avoid riding it...............

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Dealer should take care of this ASAP!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Netminder View Post
    You would think the engineers/designers at BRP would figure out by now that when you have a motor and exhaust enclosed in so much Tupperware, it is essential to control the heat under there? I think they better get things straightened out quickly as sales will drop if word spreads about dangerous heat levels on these machines! Hot to touch gas caps, burning Rt,melting master cylinders and hot seats are just not normal, I don't care what anyone says! I have owned a few bikes over the years and never had any of the heat issue that the Spyder is having. Luckily I have not had any with my 2012 RT, except a bit of a hot foot, but I wear good boots and it is bearable. But I am keeping my fingers crossed!!
    Harvey at Spyderpops can cure the hot foot on the 2012 RT for a real low price, give him a call 501 627-4008

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I'm wondering whether anyone has thought of replacing that large black "cover" over the rear wheel with a grille...???

Spyder Garage

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Rayelljay View Post
    I'm wondering whether anyone has thought of replacing that large black "cover" over the rear wheel with a grille...???
    Like this

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    Harvey at Spyderpops can cure the hot foot on the 2012 RT for a real low price, give him a call 501 627-4008

Cruzr Joe
    Yes I have seen it. I have his bump skid, just haven't had a hot enough foot to put this mod on yet, but maybe soon! Thanks.

Very Active Member MidLifeCrisis's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    Like this

Spyder Garage

oh sweet! Put some hinges it and a latch and you can use it to grill Brats!

Spyder Garage

I don't know what to tell ya... I don't want to sit and make payments on something that's suicidal to ride in this condition either.

But I can tell ya, suddenly losing your brakes will change your mind real quick.

At least on the GS there was/is a parking brake which would do SOMETHING. If not eventually stop you.

I recommend calling BRP twice a day and asking for status.
    File a complaint via NHTSA.
    Call your dealer multiple times a week depending on how much you like them.
    Call your insurance company and verify with them if they'll cover your medical expenses if you ride knowing that your brakes might fail any minute.

If you're comfortable with the responses you get from all of the above, ride on! It's completely up to you. I just recommended being safe because I would hate to see someone get killed because of this huge, obvious and dangerous flaw that I'm sure showed up in BRP's testing and went ignored (I'm sorry, de-prioritized.)

Yes, I'm frustrated. 3 weeks of the best part of my riding season so far. I expect it'll be months before they put a bandaid on this and another year before they finally fix it like the other dangerous design flaws in previous models.
    Last edited by Sny; 07-02-2013 at 04:08 PM. Reason: added extra venting. no pun intended.

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

mine is parked in our m/c barn...I will not ride it until fixed...I enjoy life too much

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I was wondering if removing that large black plastic cover over the rear wheel, (only 7 screws holding it on), and, using a hole saw of the size you use for setting a lock and cut holes (leaving plenty of meat between) to allow the hot air to escape over the rear wheel. I offer this as a suggestion for an RS with this problem...I don't know if you could treat the RT the same way. I hate to hear of someone without their and this is only a wild suggestion to keep you on the road.

Spyder Garage

I don't know what to tell ya... I don't want to sit and make payments on something that's suicidal to ride in this condition either.

But I can tell ya, suddenly losing your brakes will change your mind real quick.

At least on the GS there was/is a parking brake which would do SOMETHING. If not eventually stop you.

I recommend calling BRP twice a day and asking for status.
    File a complaint via NHTSA.
    Call your dealer multiple times a week depending on how much you like them.
    Call your insurance company and verify with them if they'll cover your medical expenses if you ride knowing that your brakes might fail any minute.

If you're comfortable with the responses you get from all of the above, ride on! It's completely up to you. I just recommended being safe because I would hate to see someone get killed because of this huge, obvious and dangerous flaw that I'm sure showed up in BRP's testing and went ignored (I'm sorry, de-prioritized.)

Yes, I'm frustrated. 3 weeks of the best part of my riding season so far. I expect it'll be months before they put a bandaid on this and another year before they finally fix it like the other dangerous design flaws in previous models.
    I am confused about about what you said. You say you suddenly lost your brakes. Do you mean that suddenly you had no brakes and you could not stop or you are surprised you had a brake problem. From your pictures it is clear that the plastic melted to the point that the reserve brake fluid for the front brakes leaked out. It appears that fluid path for the reserve fluid for the rear brake is intact and the rear brake should have worked as it should. The front brakes should have continued to work as well but air would have entered the high pressure side of the master cylinder after a couple of uses but still worked in a degraded level.

If I am in error and that is not correct, please explain what I am missing.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

What exactly where the other dangerous design flaws in previous models you speak of?

Did you personally experience them?

Carl
    2012 White RT Limited and 2013 Yellow ST-S Think 3 .i.