Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Be careful there about not making payments. As long as you signed the mortgage papers when you bought your Spyder on credit, if you use your Spyder or not you will still have to keep up on the payments. You don't what to have the paper holder come pick up your Spyder and forclose on it. Sorry about your problems. I read in the Consumer Reports magazine that a person should not by a vehicle (car, motorcycle maybe roller skates) during its first year of production because of the "bugs" it can have. Arthur---Mexico City

Quote Originally Posted by twain View Post
    My 2013 STl limited at dealer right now also. Was throwing multiple codes. Brake assembly fried as well ad 6 month old battery due to heat issues. Tried to tell me not to ride too close to other cars and avoid stop and go traffic. Give my a freakin brake, I live in Houston Texas. Will give them a chance but if not satisfied can keep their bike as I will not make another payment on a bike that I cannot ride in the heat where summer last 8-9 months here.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the advice Arthur but if it comes down to the point that BRP cannot fix the issue to my satisfaction or reasonable safety, I could care less about foreclosure. My life is more important to me than whatever there can do to me legally. I hope for everyone's safety out there on these potentially dangerous conditions. Now that it is known to be a problem BRP is on the hook if someone actually gets hurt and they have not addressed the problem timely. I hope this can be resolved as I really do enjoy my Spyder. Will definitely give them the chance to do the right thing by myself and everyone else. Everyone ride safe.

Spyder Garage

I would really hope that even if they can't fix it quickly, BRP should let everyone with 2013's know that they should inspect their master brake cylinder before every ride or risk losing their brakes suddenly. An official word would be real nice right about now.
    tHe SmOkEr YoU dRiNk ThE pLaYeR yOu GeT!

Spyder Garage

Sny, agree 100%. At least acknowledge the problem and that a fix is in the works. Better than just being left in the dark. Communication would go along way to ease some of my concerns.

Fauquier County VA - Virginia's most carefully pronounced county.
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    You're absolutely right! BUT.... What if the exhaust spring was allowing more heat up under the Tupperware than anybody ever dreamed possible?

A spring missing on the left side don't impact a master cylinder on the right side. Now maybe the master cylinder is on the left on the new STs.
    2012 RT Limited - Pearl White

My Mods -
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?39494-DR-Buck-s-2012-RT-Limited-Mods
    2012 RT Limited , Full size brake peddel White w/Red Highlights

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default THIS PROBABLY HAS NO BEARING BUT !!!!!!

Sorry to hear about your Spyder Char.........My 08 GS has extra welded wire loops on the lower exhaust ( To Muffler ) but only had one spring from DAY ONE ??????.....Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 06-30-2013 at 02:11 PM.

Spyder Garage

Really sorry to hear about these problems on the 2013 Spyders. While most are ST owners complaining, I do believe there are 2013 RT owners that have had the same issues.
    What did BRP change on the 2013 models pertaining to the master cylinders???
    Please take the time to file a complaint with the NHTSA. It will make a difference. It took a half dozen or so of us filing complaints on the DPS units to see some action.
    Failing brakes is something I think needs to be addressed as very serious and ASAP!

File here:
    https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Supposedly, they played with the airflow to address; ironically, heat issues...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Looked at my mater cylinder today. Looks fine after 2500 mi. I don't doubt some have melted, but how? Seems very far removed from the engine and exhaust. I get some heat on the left side by my leg, but the master cylinder is in the back right side. Is the brake fluid getting hot and melting the plastic?

I did have loose bolts on the left side and lost a splash guard and belt guard. The dealer suspected "someone" who did mods may have contributed to the missing splash pan, even though they had just removed it for the 600 mi service. When I drove in with the missing belt guard, they found it jammed up by the drive sprocket and replaced it from one in a crate without question.
    2013 ST-S SE Pure Magnesium

Spyder Garage

Default Spydr in KS

Spydr, if you will look at your MC again, there is an exhaust pipe a few inches in front of MC (toward front of Spyder) that runs vertically. It gets very hot!!! If you still need convincing, run your Spyder a few miles without the panels and then put your hand close to the pipe. My MC cap gave out at 4930 miles. This leads me to believe that the cap doesn't melt all at once. It's a lot of heat over time.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Not much I can add to the mechanical discussion here.

It is looking like a manufacturer problem is causing heat issues and parts failures. The problem needs to be addressed sooner rather than later. There are far to many machines involved for this to be a random issue IMO.

At the rate things are progressing, it seems like just a matter of time before someone is injured due to a parts failure or a fire.

RE: Withholding payments on "defective" machines. There are two issues involved on this.

The problems with the machines are between BRP and the owner of the
    and BRP.

Withholding payments because you are unhappy with BRP will become an issue between the mortgagee and the bank involved. It will impact your personal credit and has nothing to do with punishing BRP for their shortcomings on the . BRP got their money for the transaction shortly after you signed the papers. The bank involved will do whatever they deem necessary to collect on their loan.

Just a word of caution recommended here.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

This is disturbing news for any rider but a new one??
    Quote Originally Posted by flamingobabe View Post
    Mark took the panels off the ST and wrapped the left exhaust pipe...found no spring attached to exhaust to hold it together then when we took panels off right side we found a melted brake cylinder what to do...sent a file of pics and explanations to BRP and my dealer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spydr in KS View Post
    Looked at my mater cylinder today. Looks fine after 2500 mi. I don't doubt some have melted, but how? Seems very far removed from the engine and exhaust. I get some heat on the left side by my leg, but the master cylinder is in the back right side. Is the brake fluid getting hot and melting the plastic?

I did have loose bolts on the left side and lost a splash guard and belt guard. The dealer suspected "someone" who did mods may have contributed to the missing splash pan, even though they had just removed it for the 600 mi service. When I drove in with the missing belt guard, they found it jammed up by the drive sprocket and replaced it from one in a crate without question.
    Is this the part you looked at?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I hope they replace the one from the crate. Is this common practice? How many owners get new bikes that have been scavenged for parts?

Spyder Garage

I suspect you were looking at the brake reservoir under the seat, not the master cylinder tucked up under the right side.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post

RE: Withholding payments on "defective" machines. There are two issues involved on this.

The problems with the machines are between BRP and the owner of the
    and BRP.

Withholding payments because you are unhappy with BRP will become an issue between the mortgagee and the bank involved. It will impact your personal credit and has nothing to do with punishing BRP for their shortcomings on the . BRP got their money for the transaction shortly after you signed the papers. The bank involved will do whatever they deem necessary to collect on their loan.

Just a word of caution recommended here.

I agree 100%.Withholding payments is uncalled for and has nothing to do with BRP. Your bank will tell you that you need to continue making payments while resolving the problems with BRP. You may have legal recourse with BRP using a Lemon Law depending on what state you reside, but even then you need to make payments until things are resolved.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flamingobabe View Post
    Mark took the panels off the ST and wrapped the left exhaust pipe...found no spring attached to exhaust to hold it together then when we took panels off right side we found a melted brake cylinder what to do...sent a file of pics and explanations to BRP and my dealer
    After reading your post I decided to go ahead and wrap my headers. When I took the Tupperware off the left side, I found that my header was cracked where it goes under the gas tank. I don't mean to double the discussion, since I posted this in the RT Shop Talk forum.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs down

So sorry to hear about all of the issues that are happening with the 2013's! This is outrageous and I'm concerned about everyone's safety. Man missing parts and parts melting due to the heat .... not good! My thoughts are with you all and I hope that your dealerships and BRP come through with a fix to all of these problems soon.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi Dave!
    Do you belong to any GoldWing forums? What's your screen name in them? I'd love to come see how you sound when you're actually happy about something!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I suspect you were looking at the brake reservoir under the seat, not the master cylinder tucked up under the right side.
    Got it, thanks
    2013 ST-S SE Pure Magnesium

Spyder Garage

Default MELTING MC

I just filed a complaint with NHTSA. If anyone else has this problem please do the same. This may get BRP to act quickly to resolve the problem.VisitedStatesMap.jpeg
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Default Sny

Do you have yours up and running?
    Corbin saddle
    spyderpops block off plate, bump skid, belt guard
    IPS
    Tricled LED lights all around(too many to name here)
    Smoothspyder belt tensioner
    Custom Dynamics britesides
    VTC floorboards, upper air vents, spoiler
    BK car stuff HID upgrade
    trailer hitch
    Repainted rear fender, trunk latch assembly, switch cluster, gauge cluster
    cell phone interface kit
    travel cover that no longer fits due to the spoiler
    New sway bar
    New shock relocator

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I agree 100%.Withholding payments is uncalled for and has nothing to do with BRP. Your bank will tell you that you need to continue making payments while resolving the problems with BRP. You may have legal recourse with BRP using a Lemon Law depending on what state you reside, but even then you need to make payments until things are resolved.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Really sorry to hear about these problems on the 2013 Spyders. While most are ST owners complaining, I do believe there are 2013 RT owners that have had the same issues.
    What did BRP change on the 2013 models pertaining to the master cylinders???
    Please take the time to file a complaint with the NHTSA. It will make a difference. It took a half dozen or so of us filing complaints on the DPS units to see some action.
    Failing brakes is something I think needs to be addressed as very serious and ASAP!

File here:
    https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
    Done... thanks for the link

Spyder Garage

Default OMG!!!

Sis,

Sorry to hear you having so many issues with your Spyder... I hope BRP takes the responsibility to fix all these issues everyone is having with the ST's. I know Mark can fix almost everything he works on but like people are saying BRP needs to correct these issues before someone get's seriously hurt...

Bruce