Spyder Garage

Default Putting on new tires and jacking it up

On a 2013 RT Limited, what is the best way to jack up both front tires and leave them jacked up while getting new tires installed, balanced, and reattached to the spyder. I don't have a lift and am not going to use the Kendra tires. Dr. Buck suggested I pose this question to the forum, since the 2013 might need to be jacked up differently than his 2012 model, due to redesign by BRP. Your advice is appreciated.

Ken

"Goodnight Mrs. Calabash, Wherever You Are" (Jimmy Durante)
    2001 Valkryie Interstate with Lehman Trike
    2005 Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe
    2006 Goldwing with Champion Trike
    2011 Harley Ultra Classic Tri Glide
    2013 Can-Am RT Limited

Spyder Garage

I bought a 1500lb jack from Harbor Freight and jack up the Spyder using that, locking the jack and then put two jack stands under each shock for stability. Works very well for limited work I have done, like changing the sway bar. You can get that jack for $59.00 with coupon, which Harbor Freight post on regular basis.

2012 RS SE - White. Sport rack with Backrest, ISCI Armrests, Two Brothers Exhaust

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool

I use my Craftsman cycle jack under the front skid plate to lift the front wheels off the ground for cleaning
    and in from the side to lift the bike off the ground for maintenance and oil changes works well.
    Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Little checking..!!

Quote Originally Posted by mcaccamise View Post
    I use my Craftsman cycle jack under the front skid plate to lift the front wheels off the ground for cleaning
    and in from the side to lift the bike off the ground for maintenance and oil changes works well.
    Mike
    I'd be real careful jacking up from the skid plate. There are only two 10 mm bolts holding the skid plate frame to the bottom of the bike frame. Jmo try to get to the main frame...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    I'd be real careful jacking up from the skid plate. There are only two 10 mm bolts holding the skid plate frame to the bottom of the bike frame. Jmo try to get to the main frame...
    Use of an ATV jack under the skid plate (or preferably the SpyderPops BumpSkid) works fine. The jack pushes upward, rather than tugging on the screws. While I prefer to jack under the frame, from the side, the front works OK. In eitehr case, the Spyder should be stabilized with jackstands before doing any work.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

2 bits, 4 bits, 8 bits, a dollar, take it to your dealer and then holler....

Spyder Garage

I just bought and installed the Diamond R motorcycle jack mod that Alan came up with,
    Turns most any motorcycle jack into a lift for both front wheels. The mod raises the bike about 13 inches and then you shove some jack stands under there and remove the modified jack and do your work. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372545497.504359.jpg
    As I told Alan, the arms were so easy to install that even a caveman can do it.
    I can hardly wait to actually fix, inspect or break something.

Tuck
    Last edited by TuckMiddle; 06-30-2013 at 06:48 PM.