Spyder Garage

Default Proper Engine Break-in Procedure

New member posting first thread. Just purchased new Yellow ST-S and have 230 miles on it. Any opinions on engine break-in and use of synthetic oil. I use Amsoil in all my other vehicles including my last Spyder (2009 RS). I've read many different techniques for proper break-in and what oil to use and wondered how other Spyder owners felt. Is it better for your engine to use synthetic oil?

Spyder Garage

Chances are you have BRP synthetic blend in it now. Dump it out at 600 and continue with Amsoil. Thats what I did and continue to use it now with 26K on mine. As to breakin; with the milage you have on it now, I'd say its pretty much done so ride it like you would normally.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just vary your rpms as much as you can for the break-in period and all will be fine!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Here we go again! There are as many opinions on this subject as there are fish in the sea. I personally prefer to use the recommended oil (synthetic blend) for several thousand miles before I switch. That is less important with an engine with Nicasil cylinders like the Spyder, but I do believe the improved fuel mileage that comes toward the end of break-in occurs sooner with the blend. After that, Amsoil MC oil or another full synthetic with a JASO MA2 rating works well. I am not a proponent of the widely touted "break it in hard" procedures you read about. Today's precision machined engines, with hardened cylinders and moly rings, and motorcycle engines with roller and ball bearings instead of the plain bearings in automobiles, don't need to "wear in" like the old stuff, so they don't need hard or extensive break in procedures. Just obey the instructions in your manual and you will be fine...although thrashing the machine probably won't hurt. Just watch the heat and don't stay at one rpm for long stretches for the first 1,000 miles or so...and avoid the redline or lugging the engine (low rpm) for a while. JMHO
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I thought Nakasil lined cylinders was a bad thing... sulfur in the fuel causes the lining to break down and once that happens cylinder wear occurs quickly, often spectacularly.

High quality fuels don't have much sulfur in them, but the US hardly has high quality fuels available everywhere. Good news is, the higher the octane rating the lower the sulfur.

No idea if this is still a problem. For that matter I have no idea if we have Nakasil lined cylinders

But it makes a good sales pitch for buying high octane fuels no?
    tHe SmOkEr YoU dRiNk ThE pLaYeR yOu GeT!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Nikasil is a very hard compound, and has been used as a cylinder liner or coating for a long time in motorcycle engines, and more recently auto engines. Sulfur will degrade Nikasil, but the US really does not have enough sulfur in common pump swill to be a concern. Premium is no better or worse as far as sulfur goes, higher octane does not guarantee a lower ppm of sulfur. The good news for California folks, your boutique fuel has led the way, and has had lower sulfur counts for much longer than the rest of the lower 48.
    "The federal gasoline sulfur regulation requires all refiners and importers of gasoline produced for use in the U.S. to produce low sulfur gasoline beginning in 2004. The regulation provides for a phase-in period in which refiners and importers must meet a 120 ppm average sulfur level in 2004, a 90 ppm average in 2005, and a 30 ppm average thereafter. There are also per-gallon "cap" limits to ensure that no gallon of gasoline will contain an unusally high sulfur content as a result of averaging. Many refiners will be producing gasoline with sulfur levels well below these limits. We believe that the federal low sulfur program will significantly reduce the average sulfur level in gasoline nationwide."
    Thats a quote from Marilyn Bennett of the EPA.

Spyder Garage

Default Interesting..!!

a lot of good information but it all boils down to don't lug or maintain a constant rpm. Many want to get through the break in period quickly and get on a freeway and do 75 for hours. Vary your speeds, rpm's and gears and you will be fine..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well put!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Not much more to say on this one. Scotty has spoken.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red