Spyder Garage

Default Looking for destinations

I am one of the 800,000 Department of Defense employees that received my furlough letter today. The furlough starts July 8th. We will be off for one day a week. My day "off" is Friday's. So we are looking at this as some extra vacation time. The thought is that we would head out Thursday's when I get home from work and just go some where. Any good destinations that are about a days ride from southwest Michigan (Kalamazoo, Battle Creek) area. Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Default 800K

800,000 fewer man-days per week that our country is not being protected.....????
    what moron came up with this idea...?????

come to the southeast n ride the BLUE RIDGE PARKWAY.... you'll NEVER regret it....
    005.jpg

Spyder Garage

As for one of the furloughed also I did not vote for the person in charge of this decision. We are talking about some furlough day rides around this area also.
    Ray
    "Instead of arriving in Heaven in a nice well perserved body I'd rather slide in feet first, all beat up, loudly proclaiming thank you Jesus for a great ride!"

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I also am one of the furloughed. You should come to Huntsville and visit the space and rocket center.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rhansen309 View Post
    I am one of the 800,000 Department of Defense employees that received my furlough letter today. The furlough starts July 8th. We will be off for one day a week. My day "off" is Friday's. So we are looking at this as some extra vacation time. The thought is that we would head out Thursday's when I get home from work and just go some where. Any good destinations that are about a days ride from southwest Michigan (Kalamazoo, Battle Creek) area. Thanks.
    So sorry about your predicament.

There are lots of great rides here in Michigan. Check out M22 on the upper west side of the LP. There is also the Tunnel of Trees out of Harbor Springs.

I try to spend my "weekend trips" in MI to help the state...just saying...

Number One: 2008 Yellow GS SM5. I love my Spyder.
    Number Two: 2012 RT-S Limited (the poop colored RT) I still have Number One, but Some Girl made me buy Number Two...

Spyder Garage

Have you ever done SR-555 in Ohio?

http://www.motorcycleroads.us/roads/oh555.html

Did it last year when I rode to Chicago... whoa, Nellie, it's a great road. Not as intense as, say, the Dragon, but it goes on for 60 empty miles. Just be sure to grab gas before you ride it, there's not a lot of stuff along the way. And look out for the Amish buggies!
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daveinva View Post

Did it last year when I rode to Chicago... whoa, Nellie, it's a great road. Not as intense as, say, the Dragon, but it goes on for 60 empty miles. Just be sure to grab gas before you ride it, there's not a lot of stuff along the way. And look out for the Amish buggies!
    That's one that's on my list!

Number One: 2008 Yellow GS SM5. I love my Spyder.
    Number Two: 2012 RT-S Limited (the poop colored RT) I still have Number One, but Some Girl made me buy Number Two...

Spyder Garage

Our favorite day trips are to South Haven, Saugatuck, Holland, or Grand Haven. You can actually hug the Lake Michigan shore much of the way North. Lakeshore Drive from South Haven to Grand Haven is delightful, and so is Scenic Drive from Muskegon to Whitehall. For lots more Michigan destinations and rides pick up a copy of Motorcycling Across Michigan by William Murphy.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ride to Ludington and take the ferry to Wisconsin or just spend time around Ludington
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This is a case of taking the lemon, and squeezing all of the lemonade out of it that you can...
    I'm sorry to hear that you're in this situation; but glad to hear that you've already planning to make the most of it!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

UP--Copper Harbor area is quite beautiful.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daveinva View Post

I agree with daveinva about Ohio 555 (known as the triple-nickel). While you are in Ohio, visit Lehman's Hardware in Kidron, OH. You'll be dazzled. Kidron is in an Amish area. Lots to see in Holmes County, Ohio. Orrville, just north of Kidron, is home to Smuckers Jelly. They have a neat gift shop.

Bernie
    --
    RT-S (Blue) with Power Sports Wrap Racing Stripes
    BajaRon's Sway Bar
    Kewl Metal Gizmo Mount
    Rivco Flag Mounts
    NBV Highway Pegs

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Somebody put a ride together before we move out of state..Clock's ticking..

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Question

Quote Originally Posted by CMA Cowboy View Post
    As for one of the furloughed also I did not vote for the person in charge of this decision. We are talking about some furlough day rides around this area also.
    Are you going to Cowtown for their ryde on Saturday??

Spyder Garage

Default hocking Hills area

If you want some beautiful roads and scenery in Ohio then ride the area around Hocking Hills .Old Mans cave , Ash Cave and many more . All located around Logan .Plenty of twistys that you won't forget................and you can visit the worlds ONLY pencil sharpener museum . Located in an 8 x 10 building and I guarantee you've never seen so many different sharpeners.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by exwinger View Post
    If you want some beautiful roads and scenery in Ohio then ride the area around Hocking Hills .Old Mans cave , Ash Cave and many more . All located around Logan .Plenty of twistys that you won't forget................and you can visit the worlds ONLY pencil sharpener museum . Located in an 8 x 10 building and I guarantee you've never seen so many different sharpeners.
    When in Hocking Hills, try the CANOPY TOUR ZIP LINE & THE SUPER ZIP. We have done it twice and loved it each time.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by exwinger View Post
    Cindi & I would be up for a ride thru Hocking Hills....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    UP--Copper Harbor area is quite beautiful.
    That one's on my list. I ride snowmobiles there every winter and I'm curious what it looks like in summer
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. 2017 GMC Sierra cc diesel. 2017 Arctic cat RR 137 ES

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default New Diggings, WI

This is always a great destination. http://www.newdiggs.com/

It is located in Southwest Wisconsin. Great roads winding along hills and nature.

Spyder Garage

Default Greetings to Fellow Furloughphiles

Well, me too. One day a week, July 8 - September 20th.

I head up the Maryland Can Am Spyder Web (www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb) and draw interested folks from MD, VA, PA mostly. We just finished a major ride circuit around PA, including US 6 (Grand Army of the Republic Highway), Delaware River Valley, Hawksnest, Poconos, Jim Thorpe, and so on.

So now, I have three day weekends for a while, and to ease the 'pain' of not getting paid, I think I'll take what I lost in pay and spend it on ... Rydin'! I know, not quite logical, but as I've grown older, I think what counts is living one's life, despite the gray clouds.

I am currently constructing a ryde out to the Johnstown, PA area, as well as other local rydes in the greater MD-DC-VA-PA area to hold for the Summer. In October (beyond Furlough), we're putting together a ryde to meet up with the PA Spyder Ryders, then hopefully join the Ohio Spyder Ryders for their fall event.

So, if you live in the MD-DC-VA, PA or even WV and DE areas, please bookmark or join our forum, and keep an eye out for announcements coming real soon.

Best,

Paul
    Last edited by SilverSurfer; 06-29-2013 at 10:23 AM.