Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Ride On-maybe not for everyone

I ran my first RS/GS Spyder 45k without anything in the tires but compressed air. No problems. After reading over and over about how great a product Ride On was, I added it to all tires in the proper amount on my new to me 2008 RS/GS. The first couple of miles my tires bounced like basketballs but then everything settle in and it ran as smooth as one would expect. I had the rear tire replaced and the dealer told me that the ride on in the rear had turned solid. I did not think much about it since this dealer is a fan of beads in the tires. On a trip to Colorado I noticed that my front handle bars would shake at about 60-65 MPH. So when I got back I had the front tires balanced. No change in the shake. I later learned on here that it is hard to impossible to spin balance a tire with Ride on already in it. So today I had the tires unmounted, had the semi hard Ride On pulled out of the tires, and then spun balanced. The shake is gone and my ride is back to where I would expect it to be. FYI

Spyder Garage

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by bobnaquin View Post
    I ran my first RS/GS Spyder 45k without anything in the tires but compressed air. No problems. After reading over and over about how great a product Ride On was, I added it to all tires in the proper amount on my new to me 2008 RS/GS. The first couple of miles my tires bounced like basketballs but then everything settle in and it ran as smooth as one would expect. I had the rear tire replaced and the dealer told me that the ride on in the rear had turned solid. I did not think much about it since this dealer is a fan of beads in the tires. On a trip to Colorado I noticed that my front handle bars would shake at about 60-65 MPH. So when I got back I had the front tires balanced. No change in the shake. I later learned on here that it is hard to impossible to spin balance a tire with Ride on already in it. So today I had the tires unmounted, had the semi hard Ride On pulled out of the tires, and then spun balanced. The shake is gone and my ride is back to where I would expect it to be. FYI
    Ride on is 50% water. A long time ago I posted a lab report and warned that the heat and lack of moisture in our climate would cause us problems. Did all the research when one of the desert spyder riders reported the same as you. Many said that just couldn't be. I'll let the two results speak for themselves.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

OK help me out here... n00b to this.
    What is the purpose of this stuff? Puncture repair or something?

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post

Bob
    its like the green slime stuff that keeps air in your tires should you run over nails, screws, ect but better.

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Bob
    Puncture repair and also balancing. At one time I had it in all my tires but I was left with it just in my trailer tires and on my way home from Spyderfest I had a flat on the trailer. Unfortunately the Ride On did not seal the puncture. I now carry a portable compressor and have the tires balanced.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Finless

It a semi-liquid that adjusts itself each time you ride to balance the tire. It also has the benefit that it will seal a puncture in the tire up to a certain size eliminating the potential for a quick flat tire when you are riding at speed. That's my 2 cents.

Jim

Spyder Garage

Arrow

Bob
    Yes, on punture repair, and it would be OK where you live. Those of us that experience very high temps and constant low humidity......not so much. jmho

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

On all my cars and now in my frunk I carry a puncture repair kit. It has the reamer, and T handle for putting in the sticky rubbery rope plug. This has worked for me just about anywhere and is something I would never be without. I also have a small 12V pump too.

I think I am good. I never cared for the green slime myself. I can put the plug in a tire in like 5 minutes.

Bob
    Last edited by finless; 06-27-2013 at 06:06 PM.
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I was never one to try all the magic tire snake oils either. Much prefer the true known to work ideas instead the magic fix it formula's.

But the forum is working as it was designed too!

Spyder Garage

Glad I read this thread, I was going to order some this week for my tires. It was 107 today with 11% humidity. Guess I won't waste my $.

J. D.
    2016 F3T Magnesium Metalic : Smooth Spyder Dual Backrest, Lamonster LED Head lights and Fog lights

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TexasSpyder View Post
    Glad I read this thread, I was going to order some this week for my tires. It was 107 today with 11% humidity. Guess I won't waste my $.

J. D.
    Actually I have some that I will send to you if you pay the postage. I now carry a $4 tubeless tire repair kit and will hope for the best.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by happyspyder2039 View Post
    its like the green slime stuff that keeps air in your tires should you run over nails, screws, ect but better.
    I understand that the green slime you get at WalMart and other places will react with alloy rims. I really don't know but I would not want to be the one to prove this out. Ride On supposedly does not react to the rim and in my short experience that is true.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bobnaquin View Post
    Actually I have some that I will send to you if you pay the postage. I now carry a $4 tubeless tire repair kit and will hope for the best.
    I don't think with our heat and low humid that I would even want to try it. Thanks anyway.

J. D.
    2016 F3T Magnesium Metalic : Smooth Spyder Dual Backrest, Lamonster LED Head lights and Fog lights

Spyder Garage

What a great thread! I was thinking about using it, and now I won't. It sounds like more trouble than it is worth, and a variable to add a system that already has more variables than I'd like to see.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Im with Bob on this one ill carry a patch repair kit and pump and be on my way not sure how this ride on would work here in Florida and wont chance it.
    Mike

SpyderLovers Sponsor scooterexpress's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TexasSpyder View Post
    I don't think with our heat and low humid that I would even want to try it. Thanks anyway.

J. D.
    Texas spyder, im using rideon in my front tires it was 105 yesterday ive had no problems yet was riding at 75mph to get home fast it was hot I tell ya.lol.well ill keep ev1 posted if I should encounter a problem.

Tall flag mount, spyderpops skid plate & stainless steel screen mesh, airhawk adjustable cushion, raised white lettered tires.

Spyder Garage

Default Ride-on not so Ride on

Two days ago I sent the Ride-on company the following. I printed it off so I would have a copy and now the scanner on my printer stopped working so I will re-enter it here as follows:

" After reading the reviews about Ride-on I decided to purchase it for my rear Can-Am Spyder tire which had been put on new and the dealer could not balance it. His balancing machine was broken. So I purchased a bottle and put it into the rear tire with what I considered to be success. It seemed to balance just fine. After much consideration I decided to make a significant investment and put it into the tires of my other vehicles, i.e., an Explorer and Expedition which both have tires with one season of wear. The tires on both vehicles are Firestone Destination LE and re-balanced at their first rotation just fine.

On the Explorer I put in 20 oz. per tire and the Expedition 24 oz. which is near the max recommended on the chart. After this I noticed 2 things as follows:

. On both cars I noticed a vibration from 70 to 80 mph that does not go away. This vibration was not present before I put ride-on in the tires.

. I had read that if you leave your vehicle set for an extended period of time the ride-on would slump and would have to re-balance for a few miles after you start driving again. Both cars, if they set for a short period have to re-balance. As an example, today, I took the Expedition in for a front end alignment, just to make sure that was not a factor. I had not driven it for a week or so and at 65 mph on the interstate it shook like it was coming apart. However, after about 4 miles it settled in just fine at that speed. After the alignment, about an hour, I took it back on the interstate to bring it home and it shook like it was coming apart at 65 mph for 3 or 4 miles then it settled in and ran smoothly. This is obviously not acceptable. Keep in mind that even after it settled in at 65 mph both cars shake between 70 and 80 mph and does not go away. As I said above this shaking between 70 and 80 did not occur prior to the introduction of ride-on.

At the same time as above I rotated and re-balanced my Spyder front tires, which were balanced just fine before I introduced 9 oz. of ride-on in each. To make a long story short they shook so badly that I rotated them back. Now they shake a little at 50 mph, which is tolerable, even though they did not vibrate before the initial rotation.

I obviously need your help on this. With the purchase of ride-on, rotating tires, front end alignment which it did not need, etc., I have a decent investment in this. I really hate to give up, but I am very close to going on-line and writing the appropriate reviews and spending yet more money to get the ride-on removed.

Any help you can give would be appreciated. If you need any additional information do not hesitate to email or call me.

Tom"

So far they have not gotten back to me - and for some reason I doubt that they will. I just wanted them to know that there are people out there that are not having much success with their product.

Personally I believe that at a minimum they have a viscosity problem. When I put the ride-on in the tires I noticed that some were so thick I could barely force it in while others were very thin and went into the tires easily.

So I guess from the preceding you can see were I am going with ride-on. If they do not get back to me by mid next week I will be removing the ride-on from everything. And I WILL go on-line and write my review of the product.

If they get back to me with anything pertinent I will re-post here.
    MY MODS
    Spyderpops bumpskid & missing belt guard
    Corbin seat w/driver backrest and passenger arm rests
    CD brightsides & mud flaps w/tips, HMT running and brake light
    Kuhmo Ecsta rear tire -- Ride-on in rear tire -- Tomcat mud flap
    CD black shortee antenna -- Elka level 1+R front suspension
    BajaRon's sway bar -- BRP's adjustable wind deflectors
    Kuryakyn 3789 widow speaker grills -- Blue closed web Web-boards
    Behind the mirror LED turn signals

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WvTomCat View Post
    Two days ago I sent the Ride-on company the following. I printed it off so I would have a copy and now the scanner on my printer stopped working so I will re-enter it here as follows:

" After reading the reviews about Ride-on I decided to purchase it for my rear Can-Am Spyder tire which had been put on new and the dealer could not balance it. His balancing machine was broken. So I purchased a bottle and put it into the rear tire with what I considered to be success. It seemed to balance just fine. After much consideration I decided to make a significant investment and put it into the tires of my other vehicles, i.e., an Explorer and Expedition which both have tires with one season of wear. The tires on both vehicles are Firestone Destination LE and re-balanced at their first rotation just fine.

On the Explorer I put in 20 oz. per tire and the Expedition 24 oz. which is near the max recommended on the chart. After this I noticed 2 things as follows:

. On both cars I noticed a vibration from 70 to 80 mph that does not go away. This vibration was not present before I put ride-on in the tires.

. I had read that if you leave your vehicle set for an extended period of time the ride-on would slump and would have to re-balance for a few miles after you start driving again. Both cars, if they set for a short period have to re-balance. As an example, today, I took the Expedition in for a front end alignment, just to make sure that was not a factor. I had not driven it for a week or so and at 65 mph on the interstate it shook like it was coming apart. However, after about 4 miles it settled in just fine at that speed. After the alignment, about an hour, I took it back on the interstate to bring it home and it shook like it was coming apart at 65 mph for 3 or 4 miles then it settled in and ran smoothly. This is obviously not acceptable. Keep in mind that even after it settled in at 65 mph both cars shake between 70 and 80 mph and does not go away. As I said above this shaking between 70 and 80 did not occur prior to the introduction of ride-on.

At the same time as above I rotated and re-balanced my Spyder front tires, which were balanced just fine before I introduced 9 oz. of ride-on in each. To make a long story short they shook so badly that I rotated them back. Now they shake a little at 50 mph, which is tolerable, even though they did not vibrate before the initial rotation.

I obviously need your help on this. With the purchase of ride-on, rotating tires, front end alignment which it did not need, etc., I have a decent investment in this. I really hate to give up, but I am very close to going on-line and writing the appropriate reviews and spending yet more money to get the ride-on removed.

Any help you can give would be appreciated. If you need any additional information do not hesitate to email or call me.

Tom"

So far they have not gotten back to me - and for some reason I doubt that they will. I just wanted them to know that there are people out there that are not having much success with their product.

Personally I believe that at a minimum they have a viscosity problem. When I put the ride-on in the tires I noticed that some were so thick I could barely force it in while others were very thin and went into the tires easily.

So I guess from the preceding you can see were I am going with ride-on. If they do not get back to me by mid next week I will be removing the ride-on from everything. And I WILL go on-line and write my review of the product.

this link may help
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ghlight=RIDEON

Spyder Garage

I have been using nitrogen in my tires for the last three years. Replace my rear tire this past fall and the Ride-On was as thin as when I installed it, (three years ago). I think the nitrogen is the key.
    Catching a Yellow Jacket in your helmet at 65 mph can double your vocabulary

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the response. I wish I could say that your link helped. However, I have followed all the instructions and have to fall back on my experience which was not very good. In addition, Ride-on not only failed in the Spyder front tires but 2 other vehicles with 2 different size tires as well. Thanks again.
    MY MODS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 1VENOM View Post
    I have been using nitrogen in my tires for the last three years. Replace my rear tire this past fall and the Ride-On was as thin as when I installed it, (three years ago). I think the nitrogen is the key.
    I use an 80 percent nitrogen mix in my tires currently. That's close enough for me.

Spyder Garage

First of all I have never had a Flat in my 64 years on this earth and drove to Indiana, Virginia, and Arkansas in my Military travels by POV.
    Second If I don,t like it when my wheels wobble at 42 MPH for a "Second or Two" once or twice during a full afternoon ride- I Sure as Help are not going to put up with slop bouncing around in my tires for 2-3 miles especially in the winter- I would be bouncing like a PoGop stick!!!
    Third-Best thing to balance your tires is Counteract Beads! Been using them in the GS 7,000 miles since I changed the tires.
    YouTube Counteract Beads if you need Info?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

SpyderLovers Sponsor scooterexpress's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WvTomCat View Post
    Two days ago Iis sent the Ride-on company the following. I printed it off so I would have a copy and now the scanner on my printer stopped working so I will re-enter it here as follows:

Tom"

He reccomended dosage for the spyder Is 13oz in front 18oz in rear.please add and try again

Tall flag mount, spyderpops skid plate & stainless steel screen mesh, airhawk adjustable cushion, raised white lettered tires.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for your response. However, maybe you will share the chart that you are looking at because the recommendations from the chart that I used are as follows:

Spyder Front ---- 9 to 11 oz --- I put in 9
    Spyder Rear ----- 13 to 16 oz. ----I put in 16
    Explorer tire ----- 17 to 21 oz. --- I put in 20
    Expedition tire ----20 to 25 oz. --- I put in 24

If I thought that the extra ounce or 2 would solve my problem I would invest even more money in ride-on. However, I have trouble convincing myself that the extra ounce in the Explorer and Expedition would change the results.

Additionally, that still does not answer the problem with re-balancing each time that I use a given vehicle. As I indicated above, after only one hour being parked, the Expedition had to go through re-balancing again.

I still feel that in my case it might be a viscosity problem. A few bottles that I put in were so thick and lumpy that I could hardly get them out of the bottle. While others were very thin and went into the tires quite easily. Since that was my first experience with ride-on I didn't think anything about it. However, thinking back now, it does seem strange that some tires do not want to balance at all while others will slump and re-balance each time I drive the vehicle.

Thanks again for your input. Any other thoughts, let me know, Tom
    MY MODS

Spyder Garage

How can heat and humidity have anything to do with a viscosity change in Ride on when it's closed off inside of a rubber tire? I replaced my rear tire myself back in March. The old tire (with ride-on) is sitting in my garage. The ride on is exposed and this is a hot environment. It has not dried out yet.
    All I know is that I've been using it for a year and I'm happy with the results. Smooth ride with no vibration.
    2012 Spyder RT