Spyder Garage

Default Limp Mode 1k Miles

Went into limp mode today. 2012 RS. Was sitting at a traffic light and the temp showed 102F and the fan wasn't on???? What can I do to fix this problem from happening again?

Very Active Member MidLifeCrisis's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Limp Mode 1k Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Brogers57 View Post
    Went into limp mode today. 2012 RS. Was sitting at a traffic light and the temp showed 102F and the fan wasn't on???? What can I do to fix this problem from happening again?
    On the first order of things, Check your relays and fuses to make sure they are seated properly and not blown.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have gone into limp mode also when the air temperature is over 110 and I am in traffic. Check to see if you get any codes. I had P0217 and P0127 which are high intake air temp and high coolant temp messages. I was told by a BRP technician that this is a passive limp mode which will not retard your speed. If you live in a high temperature area you can expect to get this message a lot.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Ah I see. Are there any products or mods that could help me with this? Can I insist BRP to install a heat shield?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Besides all the hardware mods and heat shields there is a product called "water wetter" you add it to the radiator and it does help a little in the ability of the coolest to transfer heat. No miracles but it does help.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Brogers57 View Post
    The fan doesn't care what the outside air temperature is, only the water tempoerature. If you were over five bars/eighths on the gauge and the fan wasn't on, you have a problem. Five bars/eighths or below and it should not be running.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!