Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Zenagirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Heat problems

Quote Originally Posted by flamingobabe View Post
    I have Spyderpops heat guard...and the wrap and heat sheild Mark purchased is that Lave stuff....we will try this and see what happens....Mark cut a whole in the bottom of splashpan to make changing oil easier...might have to remove completely...he'll post more
    I'm looking forward to hearing what you find out Flamingobabe because as you know, several of us gals on GOS are having these heat issues as well, our legs are even getting burned, and this just should NOT be happening. And I don't have someone to help me deal with things like this, and going to the dealer each time for them to do it is going to be expensive.... Now, I'm going to start watching for extra heat near the handlebars (haven't noticed any yet) and boiling gas, although I haven't noticed my gas cap getting especially hot either. So glad you posted this here.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cjackg View Post
    Interesting term there.... Care to elaborate?
    An an explosion-proof bilge fan is a boat part that is designed not to explode when the engine compartment is super heating due to engine shutdown or slow forward speed.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cjackg View Post
    Interesting term there.... Care to elaborate?

I am considering experimenting with a fan on my RT and sure dont want to blunder into worse problem!
    A bilge fan is designed to evacuate the closed area of a boat, below the deck. This can entrap gasoline fumes, and become a flammable atmosphere. The bilge fan gets rid of any collected fumes. The motor and fan within the closed space need to be explosion-proof to prevent them from causing a spark that could potentially ignite a flammable atmosphere. Another approach uses a standard fan mounted outside the bilge, to pump air in.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Scotty.... please send a glossary of words I can use while installing wrap on FB's Pipes this weekend.... I will be taking donations of bandaids as well.... Yep done this before.....

GOS Founding Member (Girls On Spyders)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hotglue View Post
    Scotty.... please send a glossary of words I can use while installing wrap on FB's Pipes this weekend.... I will be taking donations of bandaids as well.... Yep done this before.....
    Since my girls recently informed me that "CRAP" was a bad word , I've been forced to be creative. I'll bet you've never yelled "SNAP" or "CRUD" or "DARN" really loudly after banging your hand or stubbing your toe or shattering a whole glass jar of honey on the kitchen floor.

Yeah, me neither.
    But I'm working on it!

Good luck, HG!

Very Active Member MidLifeCrisis's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default ST-L heat problems and my concerns

Just lube up with a tube of Neosporin + as you tackle the pipes. That way, you can push the med right in deep with the slices. It'll begin the healing process faster and you can save a step too. The choice of words are completely up to you...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have some doggie antibiotic I got from the vet.... it works WONDERS compared to what they sell for humans,.....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FaranH View Post
    Since my girls recently informed me that "CRAP" was a bad word , I've been forced to be creative. I'll bet you've never yelled "SNAP" or "CRUD" or "DARN" really loudly after banging your hand or stubbing your toe or shattering a whole glass jar of honey on the kitchen floor.

Yeah, me neither.
    But I'm working on it!

Good luck, HG!
    I'll ad those to the repertoire..... sometimes when I really hurt myself... I can't think of anything to say...

Spyder Garage

Default ST-L heat problems and my concerns

I wonder what percentage of people having these high heat problems have non-stock seats, body panels (bumpskid), heat panels, etc? Is it possible that the engineered airflow on the stock models is easily influenced by some of these mods in unanticipated ways? Changing the airflow could port heat into areas very differently than the BRP engineers experienced when developing the product.

Just a notion, for what it's worth.

I dunno......

Bill

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FaranH View Post

Sometimes you have to Swear, Because poopie paints and meanie head just doesn't cut it

Spyder Garage

I'll ad those to the repertoire..... sometimes when I really hurt myself... I can't think of anything to say...
    That's when you're hurt really bad. I was working on the dragster a couple of times when I hurt myself and went silent. My racing partner came running over real fast. He said "I knew you were hurt bad when you didn't utter a single swear word."
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member cyclelover63's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I read a thread about a year ago when someone said said they wired a switch into the radiator fan,and they would make it run continuously in certain situations...they wouldn't let it cycle on and off..Even though its not the coolant temperature getting hot,maybe the extra airflow would help force some of the heat out of the vents...This may also shorten the life of the fan,but always a trade off...I wonder if this could help,if you let the fan run a bit before you fuel,but with the engine off?...i have a 2012 RT and haven't noticed any of this even with critter splitter and block off plate attached..

Spyder Garage

This thread was a good read. Makes one think.

Spyder Garage

Unhappy Problems with 2013 L

My 2013 ST-L is so hot near the gas cap, that I can barely touch it...I have to open the Corbin gas door, let it cool a couple of minutes, then release pressure from gas cap, take gas cap off, wait a minute or two put in gas slowly....I have started not filling all the way....the gas is boiling...hot air coming out of the vents near handlebars...put my helmet on the hanlebars when I got home yesterday and about an hour later the handlebars and my helmet were very hot...something is not right.....I told BRP about this at Owners Event and they said I needed a roll-over valve...went to Pitbull on my way home...had it replaced and still have the heat issues...the entire dash area has a lot of heat escaping.....does anyone else have the heat issues with 2013....I know Ann Meyers is having the gas problem
    Last week our brake fluid reservoir melted, the brake failure light came on and shortly after that the brake fluid leaked out. My husband was at the dealership unloading the Spyder off of the trailer when that happened. I am afraid that this might just be the beginning of our problems with this Spyder.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bamaryder View Post
    Last week our brake fluid reservoir melted, the brake failure light came on and shortly after that the brake fluid leaked out. My husband was at the dealership unloading the Spyder off of the trailer when that happened. I am afraid that this might just be the beginning of our problems with this Spyder.
    Wow,what model Spyder do you have?...

Spyder Garage

Default Problems with heat in the 2013ST limited

Last week our ST started smoking on the right side. We weren't sure where it was coming from. The smoke was white. There weren't any problem lights or messages on the screen. After a few days the ole had gone away we got a brake failure warning. So my husband loaded the Spyder on the trailer and took it to the dealership. While unloading the Spyder from the trailer brake fluid stared squirting out. the tech said that the brake fluid cylinder had melted. We never got any warning that things were that hot! It is in the shop and we are waiting to hear what caused this.

Spyder Garage

That is scary!!.....Tupperware looks good,but maybe too much of a good thing....I think of it as sitting on the hood of your car,while you are driving it....Heat rises..Let us know what caused this,please..Could happen to any model..

Spyder Garage

Bamaryder, sorry to hear about your bike. I have had heat issues with limp mode last two weeks. Last night on night ride had two VSS limp mode failures on way home. Went ahead and dropped Spyder off at dealer today and told them figure it out. After reading your post I am glad I did. Really missing my trouble free RS about now.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    Sometimes you have to Swear, Because poopie paints and meanie head just doesn't cut it
    Thats why I'm glad that I can swear in German! My 8 year old grandson and the rest of my family has no idea what I'm saying!

BTW Mythbusters last year had a TV Program where they tested if swearing makes the pain feel better. They determined that it did! The louder you swear and the more often the less the pain seems to effect you!

So a solution to the heat problems is to loudly and continuously Swear at the BRP Engineers as you ride down the road!

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

How many miles on these ST's with the melting brake cylinder...that is scary stuff

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Spyder Garage

How many miles on these ST's with the melting brake cylinder...that is scary stuff
    What she said goes triple for me. Scary indeed! The NHTSA should be involved here.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ga Blue Knight View Post

So a solution to the heat problems is to loudly and continuously Swear at the BRP Engineers as you ride down the road!
    Yep, I've waiting all Winter to hear the heat complaints....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have some doggie antibiotic I got from the vet.... it works WONDERS compared to what they sell for humans,.....
    I used to use them also!

But then I got run over by a Pontiac in the parking lot while I was sitting there... licking my butt...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by twain View Post
    Bamaryder, sorry to hear about your bike. I have had heat issues with limp mode last two weeks. Last night on night ride had two VSS limp mode failures on way home. Went ahead and dropped Spyder off at dealer today and told them figure it out. After reading your post I am glad I did. Really missing my trouble free RS about now.
    Y'all keep us posted on what the dealer says....I have 7412 miles on the ST...how about you guys.......

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Spyder Garage

Default Heat problems with the ST limiited- melted master cylinder

We have 2300 miles on our ST. We bought the bike from Pittbul Power Sports. We have had several problems with the bike. BRP at the Owners Event ,had to fix the steering and had to do a temp fix on the light harness to the license plate becaus it was never laced in the bracket and the wires became frayed from sitting on the back tire. They also told us that they had to tighten numerous bolts that they found loose. My husband had already been tightening loose bolts, so that is a scary thought.